Wow- Mac Pro arrived

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macro, Dec 27, 2007.

1. macro macrumors member

Just got it set up and I have a lot to learn. What happens to downloads such as Thunderbird and FireFox when they are installed and do not appear anywhere that I can find.

I was expecting Tiger and got Leopard. Interesting. Gotta check out the Nikon site to see if the probs with Capture NX are sorted out yet. this is Leopard 10.5.1. Any thoughts?

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Sounds great I really want one of those machines, But first your downloads go in your stack at the right side of the dock. Enjoy your machine those guy's are beasts.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Also, why not try Safari and Mail.app before jumping into downloading potentially unnecessary software like Firefox and Thunderbird?

It's not like with Windows, where IE must be replaced immediately.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Here is info on Capture and Leopard. I believe they now do play nicely. Not San Francisco Tiger vs. human patron nice. ;) Too soon for jokes?
    Anyway, really I think you're ok and congrats on your new computer!

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

What's wrong with Internet Explorer it works fine.

6. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I refuse to use anything else then firefox on my mb. it really is personal preference:eek:

7. macro thread starter macrumors member

THE DOCK IS THE SUFF THAT WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN THAT I MOVED TO THE VERTICAL LEFT, CORRECT? What I have there is the HDD symbol and a PDF symbol and the trash. I did try to click/hold for the stacks and I only got the agreement to install the two items mentioned. I find this to be a kick, for now, trying to find what the computer did with my stuff. I hope I don't find the installed downloads in my sock drawer!:D

8. bigbird macrumors 6502

The default download location may be in your "Documents" folder. To find out go into the browser's preferences and look. It should be under the "general" preferences. There you can change the download location to wherever you want.

9. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

....uh huh. Suuuuuuuuuuuure it does :p

10. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Of course not! That would be silly, everyone knows downloads go into the wash hamper!

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Well you can get it back it sounds like you don' have it. So here's how to get it first go into finder go to the sidebar find the picture of the house and your name, Click on that in there there is a folder called downloads drag that Beside Your trash can and now you have your downloads stack.

12. macro thread starter macrumors member

OK, That worked, Techguy. It's all right where it was supposed to be. Imagine that? Also got the right click working, and Capture NX is downloaded, updated and seems to be just fine although it will be a day or two more of familiarization before I attempt any editing of photos.

Now I am waiting for the RAM to get here and get that done and I should be OK.

Thanks for now, I am sure I'll be back here in a day or 5 minutes.:rolleyes:

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

14. macro thread starter macrumors member

I got the Xeon Quad. I will be adding 8 GB of RAM as soon as it arrives.
    I already had the Dell 2407 WFP monitor (24") and it absolutely shines when compared to the PC I originally got it for. So far, so good.

15. kwfl macrumors 6502

if u are still strugling with the download location, just open up a finder window and navigate MacindtoshHD>users>youruser>Downloads

16. deathshrub macrumors 6502

OP obviously has no clue what he's doing, so I suggest he lets me have his Mac Pro and I can let him use my iMac with Mac OS 9.2 on it. Would probably be the same difference to him.

-sigh- :rolleyes:

17. macro thread starter macrumors member

Actually, it's coming along nicely. took a few hours to understand the interaction of finder and icons but this is not my first Mac. I had a Power Mac some years ago and went to PC for the price differential. The problem with the PC was the lack of ability to reconfigure the RAM. It was limited to two Gigs. So, I went for it so that my photo editing software would scream instead of plod. That's why the MP will feature 9 GB's by Monday.:D

Also, I love the keyboard and mouse. Hey, what 's a few grand for ease and speed of use. You ought to get one.

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You Really Rub it in don't you!

19. macro thread starter macrumors member

No, not intentionally. Just carrying on what I considered a was bit of kidding. Was I incorrect and misinterpreted something? If I did I apologize.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

He was joking. Congrats on the Mac Pro!

21. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yeah i was joking.

22. macro thread starter macrumors member

Yes I was. Sorry about that. I really should know better on a forum. Sometimes it is difficult to know how to react to a post and I thought that I was reacting in kind to the posts above mine. However, being a Mod on another photo forum I should have learned. From now on I will be dead cereal. :p

23. termina3 macrumors 65816

OK, southpark... enough.

24. peejack macrumors 6502a

I used to jump straight to FF on PC but I find Safari is good enough for most things, and nice and quick.

25. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Agreed. I like FF and Camino but Safari works just fine. There aren't any problems with it and there isn't anything substantial that is added to my browser by going with FF or Camino other than being able to view some horribly designed websites made by Windows Fanboys that don't test them for Safari.

Safari is fast enough and it's not a resource hog or a virus downloader, so it's okay in my book

Congrats on the Mac Pro. Get used to Leopard and start loving it quick. When the bugs start showing up it will get you very frustrated. Pray for a fast update of Leopard so we can get the stability of Tiger back with the speed and wonderful UI of Leopard.