WOW - new Mac Pro superdrive is LOUD!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jonnysods, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Does anyone else have the same issue when you use the superdrive?

My goodness, it's crazy loud! Is it because it's missing a lot of it's housing so it can do the fun thing with the door?

Just curious!

2. sboerup macrumors 6502

I've never heard a CD drive as loud as mine, its crazy loud on my 2.8x8 MP.

3. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Desktop optical drives tend to spin much faster than laptop drives, so if you're coming from using a laptop (or an iMac, they use laptop-style CD drives as well I think) the much higher spin speed would be why it seems loud...

Unless you're hearing noises that sound like a lot of vibration, no need to worry, it's just that it's spinning the disk very quickly.

4. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

apple stupidly makes it so that the front bezel must be removed when put in a g5 or mac pro... there is a HUGE difference when the bezel is in place.

5. sboerup macrumors 6502

Of the many hundreds of desktop PCs that I've used, none have EVER even come close to the noise of my Superdrive. Its like a helicopter taking off in my room, no joke.

6. seer macrumors member

My preferred analogy is "its like a hovercraft accelerating in my face" :cool:

7. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

So true it's freakin loud

8. Whiteyez macrumors regular

9. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Wow, okay then! That's good to know!

It was so loud man, I thought the works was coming to an end. It's the only bad thing about my new MP so far, could be worse!

10. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

DON'T WORRY IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL, SORRY IF I SEEM TO BE SHOUTING! I'M JUST BURNING A DISC!

11. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Welcome to the World of Apple! Believe me, they used to be worse :)

/me shudders thinking of Quicksilver G4 tower with a built-in Superdrive

12. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

It's the one thing I hate about my Mac Pro. Here I am, in my peaceful dojo of solitude, quietly editing this 1080p video in After Effects; disc full of music goes into the drive, and it's like a helicopter engine starting up in the room. :mad:

I wish Apple would buy some quieter drives, either that or Sony needs to make some adjustments.

13. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

It's not just Sony, my Pro has an LG drive and the one I'm using at the moment has Pioneer! I think they all could improve a far bit.

Also I backup what a previous poster said, the drive would be much quieter is apple had not removed the front trim.

14. jbl108 macrumors newbie

I have the same "problem" with my new 2.6 quad MP. The superdrive additionally makes a rattle and clicking when spinning up, and seems to have a little trouble reading some Windows discs (drivers as far as I could tell seemed to be up to date-firmware???).

I can't believe a superdrive is supposed to make this much noise, and it is all the more glaring because the MP is otherwise so quiet! Does anyone have any experience with other brands of superdrives? I read in another thread that Samsung makes a better one. Maybe the quality control is bad on these drives, no matter how good the specs are, and we are putting up with sup-par or downright defective drives in machines that are way too expensive to have this quality of drive in.

15. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Classic!

16. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Same here on my Mac Pro 2.66 2006. I thought the thing was going to lift off into outer space... Seriously!

I found a solution though! Crank the volume on movies and music until the walls vibrate and the windows rattle... then you sometimes can't hear the optical drive going. ;)

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

18. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Agreed!

I guess I was spoiled by my iMac, old MBP and MacBook. I thought those drives were a little bit loud, and then I get out this bad boy!

I guess I'm talking about it so much because I'm in shock really. This is my 6th Mac, first Mac Pro, so I'm just in shock and awe opening up the box, testing out the speed of the thing, just loving it. Then I pop in an install disc, and I honestly thought that I would have to take it back to the store to get replaced!

Then I find out it's normal!?! I can't believe that everyone in the industry puts up with that noise!

It reminds me of this episode of the Simpsons from many many moons ago:

19. yomibro macrumors regular

When I made the switch to the Mac I pulled my PC's dual SATA DVD recorders (ASUS 1814BLT) and connected them to my Mac Pro, compared to the Apple PATA drive that it came with the ASUS drives are whisper quiet (the ASUS drives are around 2 years old).

20. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Show off!:p

I have a new pioneer drive on it's way hoping it's a little quieter. The '09 Pro drives take the biscuit, It's not just the horrible whirring noise it's the crunching noise the laser head makes, that just drives me nuts.

21. mlankton macrumors newbie

mlankton

Had a G4 Power Mac w/ Pioneer Superdrive, G5 Power Mac w/ LG Superdrive, and now my 2008 2.8 octo w/ Pioneer Superdrive. The 2008 is by far the loudest. It is crazy loud.

22. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Yes, I think that I'll be looking at getting a DVD drive and an enclosure for it soon as well! I haven't even had it for 24 hours and I don't know how much more I can take!

Even my wife was asking questions when she heard the noise in my office. She thought it was breaking the CD!

23. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It is. I have it in one of my Dell Precisions. Tray movement is silent too. :)

24. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

What model do you have?

25. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Of all the things to complain about... Seriously? I fart louder than the drive. Unless you are sitting 3 inches from your MP and are playing a video at 20 decibels, it really doesn't matter.