Wow! Now that's what you call great customer service!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londoner888, Apr 4, 2011.

1. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

My mate bought an iPhone 4 on launch day last year and has been used everyday since.

It developed a fault last weekend whereby the phone wouldn't charge at all.
    He subsequetly booked an appointment at the genius bar in Regent Street.

Today, almost 10 months later, the genius took a quick look at the phone and just said that "I will be replacing it" and no questions asked!
    He then proceeded to pull out a brand new iPhone 4, sealed in a box and set it up for my friend!

I was amazed when he told me this.
    I don't know any company that would replace a faulty item no questions asked. Most would try to repair it under warranty.

This story, and the free drinks, donuts, pastries and pizzas on launch day have made me an apple fan boy for life.

Great customer service!

On another note, does anyone know if the products they replace the faulty ones are refurbed or brand new? My mate did say the box was sealed.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

It's within warranty. They do that for most people. Yes, i agree, the company is great as far as customer service. :) Congrats to your friend.

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

This is what a one year warranty does... Exciting isn't it. :rolleyes:

4. londoner888 thread starter macrumors regular

londoner888

Like I said, I was surprised they just replaced it no questions asked.
    I've had issues in the past with my PS3, Wii and even my one month old TAG watch.
    All well within their warranties but despite my pleas the companies in question would not replace the products, but rather fix them.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

yeah, most companies would require you to fork over the product for repair, but that's just not how apple works. :)

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It is when you compare it to competitors like Dell.

7. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

This is Apple for you. They do this for ALL their products. I returned my headphones that I purchased with my iPhone 3GS about 11 months after I actually opened the phone. The mic on the headphones weren't working. One of the guys checked it out, saw it wasn't working and handed me a new pair and said have a nice day. A company like Apple doesn't have time to repair products. It's easier for them to just give you a brand new one. It makes you happy and it's easier on them also. They don't have to hire extra repairmen to try and figure out what the hell is wrong with the device.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's how Apple rolls. They'll take care of you if you are within warranty, and even if you aren't at times.

9. X2468 macrumors regular

10. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

sorry to highjack the thread but im going to get my iphone 4 checked out due to my sleep/wake button not clicky anymore it seems like the button went down and its harder to push down on it to sleep the screen off also if i have my bumper on it wont even push on the sleep/wake button..i was just playing tiny wings with my bumper on when this happened..its not as clicky and upright popping up like the volume button..i did go to the apple store and played with the iphone 4 sleep/wake button and mine is not like it was..didnt want to get it checked out due to me waiting on jailbreak 4.3 now it out..

question i know i have to restore first...do i have to bring my iphone 4 box/charger ect if im going to get it replaced..im just going to swing by my apple store this week after work(not the one were the guy got killed for robbing the apple store here in area)..do they give you a new iphone 4 out the box and give you new ear/charger..ect..do they have refurbs? this is new iphone 4 replacement out the box?

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

No just bring your phone. They will replace your phone and it comes out of a black box. You get a replacement phone (most likely refurbished although I got a brand new one last month)

12. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

ahhh thanks for the heads up..i wonder if its has dings and scratches..:confused:

13. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Unless it's REALLY bad, you should have a problem.

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That's funny... when my Alienware developed a hinge issue (became loose) I phoned up Dell and they came up to my office the next day with all the parts and repaired the thing right there.

Apple OTOH stonewalled when asked to repair my [in-warranty] alu MB and said that my failing glass trackpad (even when clicked right in the center, I had to click several times for it to register) was 'normal' and 'within spec' :rolleyes: I know what the product performed like when it was working dammit.

OP, congrats. If you'd searched you would have found a million other threads saying the same thing ;)

15. nukem170 macrumors member

Yah remember back in the day when I took my old phone (before times of iphones) to futureshop b/c I was having issues with it while it was still under warrenty. They looked at it and said "yes it need to be replaced or fixed". "But we dont have a comparable phone available at the moment. Please come back in 2 weeks". 2 weeks later... Same crap. Then like a month and half later having no proper phone to work with they finally gave me a phone thats a lot crappier than the one I had. And they suggested I buy the extended warranty. I told them to F off.

16. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Apple products are expensive but you get what you pay for.

I've also heard of people bringing in their 3GS and getting iPhone 4 as a replacement.

17. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

This is usually the case for the small items. I've had a totally different (read nightmarish) experience with Apple and items like Macbooks and desktops.

18. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I doubt it.

I had to get mine replaced the other week. They actually gave me two. Both still had the stickers on the screens are were in brand new condition. If they were used before I can't tell.

The first one he gave wasn't activating when he put my sim in, so he took another out.

19. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I got my Apple IP4 replaced. It was in the condition you mention (brand new looking, plastic on the front and back) but it was still refurbished. It already had all the Cydia SHSHs saved, which meant at one point somebody had it before me.

20. ethandt macrumors member

Not iPhone 4 related but customer service related. My battery on my Macbook Pro went bad last week, 9 months after my warranty was up and Apple replaced it no charge.... great customer service.

21. Merkie macrumors 68020

That's impossible. Refurbished phones get new serial numbers.

22. wpotere Guest

Because it depends on the device. It is easier to repair those items rather than replace them. On a Mac notebook or destop they will generally try to repair them but with a phone it is usually a replacement. There is nothing new about this.

23. iFiend macrumors 65816

But they don't get new IMEI numbers :rolleyes:

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's very possible.
    Many get refurbs with cydia blobs saved from the previous owner.

25. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I've used a JB iPad on display in a store. Some people are so clever!