wow questhelper

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by marcelo954, Apr 7, 2009.

1. marcelo954 macrumors newbie

i dont know what to do i try all but i can fix the problem with this World of warcraft ....when i donwload the questper and ad on addon.
    and i rum the game and i try to do a quest nothin happen, just a message on my right side that it said. to put " /qh hidden " to show the quest...maybe us because i have the try 10 days? if anyone can help me up please, where i can get a questhelper? please!
    :confused:

2. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking... /qh hidden will show you all quests that are hidden for various reasons, like the level is too high or they're group quests. If you can be more specific; do you see any quests listed on your screen? When you look at your map do you see any dotted lines moving, showing you where to go? What happens when you type /qh?

3. marcelo954 thread starter macrumors newbie

no i dont see nothing....that show me where to go...

4. eninety88 macrumors newbie

on the character selection screen before you actually log in, there should be the add ons tab on the bottom left corner. click it. after that you should see all of your add ons listed. make sure you have the ones you want clicked. at the top right there should be a box labeled, click to load out of date add ons. Make sure thats clicked. that should do it!

5. cubist macrumors 68020

QuestHelper

Just a word of warning. QH works pretty well for lower levels, but once you hit 80, something it's doing causes huge additional lag, to the point that you get disconnected if you try to go into Lagaran (aka Dalaran).

I tried Carbonite, too, but its user interface is far too intrusive for my liking, replacing all your maps, ugly splash screen, etc.

6. JAQ619 macrumors newbie

Did you double check to make sure all the required addons/dependencies are installed as well?

to add to what cubist said, yea QH is a big resource hog. also from what ive been reading up on is that its been creating issues for most Mac users fatal errors/crashing. you can find that on the actual WoW Mac forums. Also I agree that carbonite is not the best alternative, but it does use less than a 1/4 of QH as far as resources, and does just about the same thing only youll have to set it right to do so. I keep QH on my desktop PC since I use that for when I raid/pvp and switched to carbonite on my MBP, which I only use for farming and questing/leveling.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Just download and use the carbonite addon instead. The full version is now free.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

How do you like it?

So far I've been very happy with Quest Helper, but I did not know about it being a resource hog. I've been questing in Dragonblight and have noticed no unusual lag, of course Northrend always comes across at a lower frame rate than the classic areas. I wonder if QH could be partially the reason? Maybe I should look at carbonite.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I just installed Carbonite. There is a ton of info there including impressive gathering info. But I do prefer the simplicity of the QH display. For Carbonite, you need to print out or at a minimum review the readme that comes with Carbonite as it includes a user guide to figure it all out.

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Carbonite is far superior but all leveling/quest mods are huge resource hogs so disable them when not using.

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I set mine up as follows:
    1) Get rid of the WoW mini-map shift-M.
    2) Move the carbonite mini-map to the lower left side. Resize it to the size you like then set the window not to show in combat (right click the top bar on the window)
    3) I then move / resize the carbonite quest list to the right above the carbonite mini-map and set the list window to hide during combat.

Note- You can see the WoW main map instead of the Carbonite main map by hitting alt - m

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Wait, I thought Quest Helper was the huge resource hog? That's what got me interested in looking at Carbonite... ;)

Is there an easy way to tell how big of a resource hog an addon is?

13. 0nefatality macrumors newbie

0nefatality

The best way to install addons for wow is a program called WoW matrix.
    Which you can find here.
    This is a small program allowing you to install most wow addons. Just search, install, done =)

14. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

All quest helper mods are resource hogs. Carbonite is the best of the bunch but hardly slim.

I used Carbonite during leveling in the first week of Xpac when so many others were doing the same and it was pretty valuable.

But on my DK, I did zones I skipped on my main so 90+% of her quests were totally new and I used no quest mods and didn't know that much a difference.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The program might be good but I would not trust it with all the accounts being hacked lately. It's just as easy to move the addon into the wow interface addon folder (i.e. you don't need an installer program).

My advise is to also buy the wow authenticator from the Blizzard store. It's very cheap and worth it (getting hacked is no fun).

16. Bimmi macrumors regular

Carbonite suffers from an overwhelming case of feature bloat, and I don't much care for the massive UI clutter it brings into play. And regarding the minimap, exactly where is the Alt key on a Mac? No matter what I push, Carbonite's (bugged and awful) minimap simply refuses to go away.

WOWMatrix was a handy as hell program but it has just been blocked from accessing the major add-on sites and is now essentially useless.

Should be interesting when the servers come back up today. What disaster awaits us this time? Hey, maybe we'll lose all our mail again, or log on to find every character naked and penniless. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

edit: I just realized that the OP never really had his question answered. QuestHelper confused me at first since its exact function was unclear, but I soon learned that all your current quest objectives are displayed on the world map (minimap cues work sporadically at best, which is annoying). I've only seen the "/qh hidden" message come up on toons with no active quests. And it may or may not work correctly with the 10-day WoW demo, which is massively crippled compared to the purchased game.

QuestHelper really does make things too easy, though, and future support for the thing is looking dicey. If it wasn't for the lovely on-screen text tracker I wouldn't miss it much at all.

17. Weestarry macrumors newbie

WOW quest helper broken

After this recent patch on WOW i'm getting the message
    "Quest Helper has broken. You may have to restart WOW.
    Evry time I restart i get this message.
    Does this mean i will have to download Quest Helper again ?

18. Weestarry macrumors newbie

Hi The Alt key on a Mac is just to the right of the control key - between it and the Apple Key.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

i.e. the option key :)

20. Bimmi macrumors regular

Hmm, I tried Option-M to no effect.

I've been getting the "QuestHelper has broken" message too, but I haven't noticed any ill effect on QH or general gameplay.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Just download them manually from a reputable site like Curse and copy them manually into the AddOns folder.

Yes, link.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Now that I am acclimated to Carbonite, I like it better than QH. One of the top features is the "Warehouse". I've got items spread among 8 toons, and as I'm not an efficient organizer, I may need something and not even realize one of my toons has it. With Carbonite's warehouse, when the cursor is moved over an item say "heavy leather", it shows you how many of those are held by all of your toons, whether in the bank or in the mail. I find it a great help.

I don't like carbonite's minimap and keep it turned off, using the standard minimap instead. If I need a map, I usually hit M and get Carbonite's main map which is translucent

I may have mentioned this all ready but I think, QH (when it's working) does a better job of showing all of the places a desired mob-to-be-harvested might be. Specifically I'm thinking of Zangar Marsh where critters are all over. When I traveled from one area to another, the quest location icon would update to the new position showing another location to find the desired mob. I might be wrong about Carbonite but it seems like it has one default location for something and when you get there, the tracking arrow distance drops to zero and from that point on, you must look around. This is unverified. I need to run one of my toons through Zangar and see exactly what Carbonite does.

Repeat question: Is there a way to tell how much memory a WoW addon uses? Thanks!

23. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Being an addon-whore (not as noticeable on a big screen), the ones I keep up all the time were: Titan bar, XPerl, Bartender (very handy), Altoholic (like Warehouse, you can search, link with guild bank, guild members items too), MobInfo, QH (of course).

QH did give me the 'broken' warning too, but what was broken was never apparent, it worked for me every time. The Carto arrow was a bit fiddly but it works if you leave it alone. Also, in Carto, if you had to farm for a mob for a quest, just hover you mouse (this applies in QH, dunno about Carbonite) over the quest destination marker and it would highlight all the areas in the zone where you can find the mob under you mouse.

Addon memory usage hovers around 90-100 MB for me, when I was still playing.