WOW, Safari just blows!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WhySoSerious, Nov 16, 2007.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Man, I've tried to like this web browser over the past 3 weeks, really. But the app just blows when it comes to functioning as a web browser compaired to FireFox.

Crashes, load times, funcionallity, no extensions, visuals, options available, etc.

I really wanted to like Safari and keep it around, but why would anyone choose to use this over Fire Fox is beyond me.

:apple:

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Without gestures there's no way I could use Safari. This is it's biggest drawback, imho.

Yes I tried cocoagestures.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

This is an informative thread. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I love Safari.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well for me Safari destroys FF on load times, stability, looks. Tried FF with its add-ons but I found that it was too slow.

5. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

Safari is faster than Firefox on my setup, but less stable. I've gone back and forth a few times and found that, in general, I prefer Safari.

Maybe you can sue someone to get your money back. Oh, wait...

6. aviddk macrumors regular

Mindflux,

I am an opera on the PC guy. I love mouse gestures and really have missed them for the past year. Currently, I am really in love with Camino. The darn thing is almost as fast as text browser with ads off. Thanks for cluing me in on Cocoa gestures. I will give it a try.

7. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

no need to do that...i just won't use the crappy app. Fire Fox is free and has worked flawlessly for me.

8. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Does anyone have a list of alternative browsers?

I know of Shira, Opera, Firefox and Camino so far...

9. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

There are a good handful out there, but honestly, you listed 3 that are great. No real need to go beyond them (FireFox, Camino and Opera). Forget the rest (including Safari...bleh!).

10. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Thanks...

Ya Safari 3 still crashes a little too often...10.5.1 seems a bit more stable though.

11. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Safari is pretty stable for me but it has major memory leak issues. Physical memory usage climbs to 500+mb after being open for a while. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

12. jwt macrumors 6502

Ditto. And I found that it was using 76% of the CPU just sitting there with no pages open. WTF?

13. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Safari has NEVER crashed on my Al 24" iMac.
    . . . . and it is fast.

14. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

it seems that after the newest update my Windows Safari acts like my Mac Safari. You know, the amazing blue bar that never moves until just before you close the window. Yeah, this sucks. The find and spell check are good though. But i still have to have more than one browser. Safari doesn't work on some pages, particularly ones where there is an upload in progress, so i have to us FF. With the safari theme of course;). "the Best browser", NO, not yet.

Has anyone noticed this. In the XP beta if i click @ the start of a word and hold to highlight it and the next word, the highlight doesn't start from where i clicked. It instead jumps like 3 characters over. This doesn't happen in any other program but Safari. Annoying!

15. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

For whatever reason, Safari has slowed down considerably for me in the past week. For instance, it takes 3 minutes on my iMac to load the CNN home page compared to < 20 seconds (with adblock off) on Firefox. That's from entering the link until the blue bar is finished on Safari, and until "Done" shows up in the FF status bar.

It was as fast if not faster than FF for a week or so after I installed Leopard.

I didn't try to hack it in any way (no InputManagers, either in my own ~/Library or /Library). It's not DNS related since FF works fine, it's not ISP related since I'm using OpenDNS, and it's not caused by ad server delays since, again, FF is much faster with no adblocking.

My wife's MacBook is faster, but still takes > 1 minute to load CNN.

16. lallenlowe macrumors member

Camino Camino Camino

There isn't usually any reason to use firefox, it starts up SOOOO slow. Camino basically IS firefox, it's based on the same rendering engine and everything, it's developed by mozilla. The difference is it is much more "MAC-Y". It is faster, and is more native on os x than firefox. Have them all, just in case, but USE Camino, you won't be dissapointed.

lallenlowe

17. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

I totally agree with this sentiment. I would use Safari if it had mouse gestures because it is the only web browser on OSX that can open PDFs within the browser.

18. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

lol....yes, i know what you mean about the blue bar. i feel your pain on that one.

where did you get a "safari theme" for FireFox?

Be much more specific instead of speaking in general terms.

What do you mean by it's more "mac-y"?
    How is it more "native" on os x?
    Can you indicate any stats showing it's "faster" than Fire Fox?

I highly doubt Camio beats out FireFox, regardless if it's on PC or Mac.

19. lallenlowe macrumors member

ok, I didn't say I would kill your brother if you didn't use firefox

*I mean Camino ^

It utilizes better, faster, more modern libraries in os x, instead of being sort of a half *** port. Just download it, start them both up, and you'll see, Camino is much snappier, and it looks nicer too, an added bonus :D

lallenlowe

20. aviddk macrumors regular

I hear you. That is really the only issue I have with Camino. I still forget to check URLs and click on .pdf files and then the download starts. I am so desperate that I am considering attempting to write a plug-in for Camino. Given how little coding I have done in recent years it could be real painful. But a good sign of my desperation. :D

21. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Camino

I'm going to have to agree on Safari. I have been using Camino for years now and when 10.5.came out I was hoping to make Safari my main browser, but it just did not work out. Loading a page stalls halfway through and it is just annoying, because I open Camino on the same page and it is almost instantaneous. BTW, Safari has never crashed on me.

So I'll vote here for Camino as the browser to have. Firefox, even the 3BETA was a bit disappointing, I just don't like the way it renders pages and the live edit drop down menus annoyed me as hell.

22. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I use them both for various reasons (iphone or windows comparability etc) but I do find safari to be cleaner, if that makes sense. Plus I like the popup blocker and private browsing options better on safari.

23. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I like Safari too, it looks much better and is faster than Firefox IMO. I only use Firefox when a website that I have to use will not display correctly on Safari.

24. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

For me its the opposite. I have no add-ons installed either.
    I keep trying Safari out with every new upgrade, but pages always load slower on it than with FF.
    Not trying to be Safari hater, I think it has some cool options I'd use, but I can never believe it when someone tells me its faster than FF because it isn't on any of my macs.

25. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

I love Safari and I fail to see why so many dislike it. I have never had a Safari crash although I am aware of the memory leak issue but I don't mind that. I've tried both Camino and Firefox but I can't stand either. I don't know what it is exactly about each browser but they always have me wanting launch Safari instead. I know people on Windows who much prefer Safari to any other browser, despite it still being in beta.

Safari will always be snappy for me. :D