Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Oh? Do you not enjoy it?
You can search by file type, which can make downloading safer

Pc viruses come in through java and adobe exploits

Oh, I was trying to be sarcastic. I haven't tried it. This is the first I'm hearing about it. Can you bring us noobs up to speed?

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
Oh, I was trying to be sarcastic. I haven't tried it. This is the first I'm hearing about it. Can you bring us noobs up to speed?

Ive only used it 3 times. It's based on the same limewire code.
Try it, I think you would like it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sadly most macs never seem to die and run like "new" forever. Which is killing my reasons to buy a new one.

For sure! I have an early 2007 MBP and it is still as awesome today as the day I got it. Actually a little better, I just upgraded the RAM and HDD.

I want a new MBP, but cannot justify to myself spending the money for one when the old one I have is still totally awesome and working great.

I cannot say the same for the 2006 Sony Vaio I had. That thing was dog slow and with Windows XP and a Centrino processor it wasn't going anywhere fast.

martyn05

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Near Derby, UK
Switched over to a Mac last week, got myself the 27" one and the wife the 21.5" model, my daughter got a macbook pro 2 weeks before that. After years of pc's in the house we made the decision to totally switch systems. So far so good, only time will tell !

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
Switched over to a Mac last week, got myself the 27" one and the wife the 21.5" model, my daughter got a macbook pro 2 weeks before that. After years of pc's in the house we made the decision to totally switch systems. So far so good, only time will tell !

Clearly you need an iPad

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Yes sir. If you find better please let me know

Yeah, I'm gonna pass. What is to prevent the same virus-laden users fleeing Limewire and setting up camp at Frostwire?

Also, Limewire always ran molasses slow on my Mac.

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
Yeah, I'm gonna pass. What is to prevent the same virus-laden users fleeing Limewire and setting up camp at Frostwire?

Also, Limewire always ran molasses slow on my Mac.

Because you search by file type?
Plus Macs don't get viruses

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

But Macs can carry viruses. I found this out when I began moving files over to my wife's newer PC. We almost killed that machine due to viruses I unknowingly picked up.

Last edited:

josh1231

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
In my country, iMac mid model = $1799 + 13% taxes. Same Windows system = $650 + 13% taxes. Do the math and remember to include "after taxes" totals. And yes, same Intel processor, same CD/DVD, same 4 GB Ram, etc. etc.

For 2 times "before taxes" and 3 times "after taxes", I expect my iMac to blow any Windows OS system away. Blow it away in all features and user controls... Just to name a few features that iMac lacks.. Global Font settings (without text / screen distortion), native BluRay, auto dismounting of removed USB items, iSight camera with adjustable settings, faster Internet downloads, sound volume controls in multiple locations, etc. etc. If Apple has these features in my iMac, please advise where I can find these controls. As I say to many, don't dismiss these gaps. Why not focus on these gaps - so Apple will put more focus into resolving them - in their future patches or Mac OS releases... If wondering, I'm not bashing the iMac. Just pointing out "they are NOT perfect - Apple Corp can do much better"!!!!

I think you left out some things on your calculation. I configured the approximate same system at Dell, and it was $950 all inclusive, but came with a 24" 1080p monitor, instead of the Apple 27" 1440p monitor. There is a significant difference in price to get the Dell configured with the same monitor, in fact they're about the same price including shipping and handling.

The cheapest monitor I could find with similar specifications was $839 on Newegg, from a manufacturer I've never heard of before.

I'm not a huge fan of certain Apple products because they are overpriced, however I don't believe the Imac to be in that category. They're overpriced if you pick inferior components as you did, but about the same if you use similar components.

josh1231

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
But Macs can carry viruses. I found this out when I began moving files over to my wife's newer PC. We almost killed that machine due to viruses I unknowingly picked up.

You are certainly right, they can carry viruses. That being said it is significantly more difficult to obtain them on a Mac than on a PC.

As most of my friends "computer guy", the most common viruses they get are from little pop-ups they follow on internet explorer, that they end up clicking on and installing software. This has caused 99% of the viruses I clean for people.

That software is generally not written to infect Mac's, so it won't install the file, thus preventing you from getting a virus.

If you are careless and download a file that is not safe, then sure, either system can get a virus.

I'm curious as to what virus you had on your Mac that would infect your new PC simply by copying files over.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I guess this is more a rant then a real post, but you will soon understand. I was a diehard PC fan for 20 years, last year about this time; I was given a brand iMac 27" from a friend for work I did for him..... Guess I was scared, for the unknown; but, quickly I was was totally blown away..... And still to this day, I am impressed more and more day to day with Apple and the Mac's...... OMG, I think I LOVE this thing more today then the day I got it; I dont worry about it becoming out-dated, because it is years ahead of PC based machines. Sorry PC gang, but you guys are living in the dark age; Mac is years ahead....

I ordered a MBP today, I guess I am building my loyality to a company that is years ahead of everyone else.... LOVE ME SOME MAC!!!!!! But me LOVE my iMAC best, I have to keep my loyality to my SWEET baby!!!!!

Welcome to the club :) I too was diehard PC and dabbled in linux. I work in IT too so PCs and linux boxes were all I knew. Then one day my brand new $2k Vista laptop was not only transferring data a ton slower then my gen 1 eeePC (Vista machine: 20+ hours! eeePC: 3 hours!) but the Vista machine kept failing. It wasn't the machine, it was Vista. I could not use it for my work so in my anger over my new computer I went online and ordered a Mac....and that was it. When it arrived I realized Windows is years and years behind. It couldn't come close to what Mac had. I couldn't believe what I was missing all these years.

I love it and haven't looked back. I transferred my whole workflow over to mac too.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm curious as to what virus you had on your Mac that would infect your new PC simply by copying files over.

Most likely it was on a thumb drive. I used to see it daily at work. Viruses can hide easily on a windows system and you can't see the files even if you check for the files in command prompt, or have all hidden files and folders and hidden system files set to show. The file is there, but windows won't see it.

Also our company used Symantec so of course that can't find anything. Or if it does find something it tells you about it but does nothing to clean it. (Yes its configured correctly, the software is just complete trash).

This is why I keep mac and linux machines on my desk. I'll plug the drive into them, see the file, delete it. Gone.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010

I think this is a pretty big generalization. The only time I've ever in my entire life had a virus was when someone else used my computer and downloaded a bunch of sketchy anime crap.

People who know how to use a computer properly don't get very many viruses even with Windows as a platform.

My biggest drawback to Mac is no real good middle ground solution. I really don't want an all in one, and the mini just can't do what I want, which leaves the Pro at $2,000+.

What I think is really sad is that all of these companies like Dell, HP and Gateway actually do more harm than good for people's perception of Windows and PC computing. They bloat their products with crappy software, slow them way down, don't give people enough options, and use awful, cheap components.

In the 15 years I've been building my own computers, I've had 2 hard drives fail and 1 video card. I can probably count the number of blue screens on one hand since XP's service pack2 came out. I would unfortunately have a better chance of getting a yellow tinted iMac screen than building another PC that would last 2-3 years with no problems.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a mac hater - in fact I REALLY REALLY like OSX, and I really like how mac's just function well together - it's a very holistic approach. If you own an iPad, iMac, AppleTV and iPods, everything just simply works together and I really dig that.

If Apple made some kind of middle ground product that allowed me to buy my own monitor without having a hulking tower on my desk, then they would have a convert. But I have to give it to MS for producing Win7, which is actually a fantastic OS. I'm content to wait it out.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Most likely it was on a thumb drive. I used to see it daily at work. Viruses can hide easily on a windows system and you can't see the files even if you check for the files in command prompt, or have all hidden files and folders and hidden system files set to show. The file is there, but windows won't see it.

Also our company used Symantec so of course that can't find anything. Or if it does find something it tells you about it but does nothing to clean it. (Yes its configured correctly, the software is just complete trash).

This is why I keep mac and linux machines on my desk. I'll plug the drive into them, see the file, delete it. Gone.

It WAS froma thumbdrive...a drive I've since pitched. Whatever it was, it was identified and repaired by Mcaffee.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I think this is a pretty big generalization. The only time I've ever in my entire life had a virus was when someone else used my computer and downloaded a bunch of sketchy anime crap.

People who know how to use a computer properly don't get very many viruses even with Windows as a platform.

My biggest drawback to Mac is no real good middle ground solution. I really don't want an all in one, and the mini just can't do what I want, which leaves the Pro at $2,000+.

What I think is really sad is that all of these companies like Dell, HP and Gateway actually do more harm than good for people's perception of Windows and PC computing. They bloat their products with crappy software, slow them way down, don't give people enough options, and use awful, cheap components.

In the 15 years I've been building my own computers, I've had 2 hard drives fail and 1 video card. I can probably count the number of blue screens on one hand since XP's service pack2 came out. I would unfortunately have a better chance of getting a yellow tinted iMac screen than building another PC that would last 2-3 years with no problems.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a mac hater - in fact I REALLY REALLY like OSX, and I really like how mac's just function well together - it's a very holistic approach. If you own an iPad, iMac, AppleTV and iPods, everything just simply works together and I really dig that.

If Apple made some kind of middle ground product that allowed me to buy my own monitor without having a hulking tower on my desk, then they would have a convert. But I have to give it to MS for producing Win7, which is actually a fantastic OS. I'm content to wait it out.

What is it about the iMac you don't like?

josh1231

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010

My understanding was that he he copied his files from his Mac to his PC. Upon doing this the files from his Mac which were infected, then infected and almost left his PC disabled.

So I was just curious as to how this could happen. Not really saying it can't, I've just personally never heard of it.

The thumb drive is interesting, because I suppose with autorun it could automatically infect you, but since the thumb drive would have been created on a Mac, I am still curious as to what virus could travel from a Mac to a PC automatically on a thumb drive.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I think you left out some things on your calculation. I configured the approximate same system at Dell, and it was $950 all inclusive, but came with a 24" 1080p monitor, instead of the Apple 27" 1440p monitor. There is a significant difference in price to get the Dell configured with the same monitor, in fact they're about the same price including shipping and handling.

The cheapest monitor I could find with similar specifications was $839 on Newegg, from a manufacturer I've never heard of before.

I'm not a huge fan of certain Apple products because they are overpriced, however I don't believe the Imac to be in that category. They're overpriced if you pick inferior components as you did, but about the same if you use similar components.

I think you missed the point. The iMac isn't perfect. I can go "on and on" on the many gaps with the iMac machines and with Mac OS. Every time I bring up an gap, people think I'm attacking their "super perfect" iMac, Mac OS or Apple company. Would I pay "Dell, and it was $950 " NO. Like many, I got "sucked into the hype" of iMac and after a few months of using it, I notice it isn't perfect. It has gaps. For 2 to 3 times more price then my HP Laptop, I expect more. Much more. Thus, I no longer have "that WOW" feeling. Think of it this way.... If I bought a BMW instead of a "generic" Chev, I expect much more from that BMW as well. After all, BMW has a market repuation of smooth and easy to drive. Much better then a chevy. If iMac and OS is that great (better then a Windows clunker), do tell me the Apple native solutions (without 3rd party solutions) for the following?

- Ability to change Font & Menu sizing without text distoration? Windows 7 has a DPI ratio in a central location. What's Apple's Mac OS solution?
- Ability to play BluRay on the iMac. No, not 3rd party solutions. Native solution from Apple?
- Ability to change iSight Web Cam settings from within Mac OS? Why do I need to buy iGlasses (3rd party solution) to change simple things like lighting and zoom?

Like I keep saying... IMac and OS have "gaps". And they will continue have gaps - until people lobby - to fill these gaps. I'm not attacking your family's culture or religion. Just saying that iMacs (today's models) has gaps. And, they can do much better.... Sorry if others cannot agree (and cannot provide native solutons to my above 3 examples).

talkinghead

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
Austex
I think you missed the point. The iMac isn't perfect. .

I, for one, appreciate your responses. It's always hard to get candor on a site dedicated to "_____" (fill in the blanks).

If you only want to read good things to justfy your purchase, then so be it, but personally I would prefer to go into a decision knowing the negatives as well.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
What is it about the iMac you don't like?

It's mainly the all-in-one approach of what you get for your money. About the level that I need for what I want to do with it is the 3.2ghz model with the 512mb video card. Ideally, I'm going from a quad in my current system, and I'd really like to go to a quad core iMac, but now we're in the $1500 to $2000 realm.

I do agree with the statement that the lower end iMacs tend to be where people can justify saying that the systems are overpriced. Once you get into that higher end quad core 27" area, it's pretty competitive with what you can build a windows system for.

I think that if somehow I needed to start from scratch like my house burned to the ground, then I'd seriously consider going with the iMac, but I would really have to pause and consider because I'm forced into the glossy screen.

Now, I do understand economically you get much more longevity for your money with Apple products. I can buy an iMac today and sell it in 2 years for about 60% to 70% of what I bought it for. So it feels to me like once your in, it's a much lower jump for each upgrade, but it's that initial sticker shock that makes it tough.

I think that's where the rub comes in. I don't really have a lot of cash lying around, and for a lot of people like me who have young kids and a tight budget, it's a damn tough cost to justify. When I can build my own quad core i5 system, use my existing 4gb of 1333 DDR3, with a SSD for under $500, you can usually find more useful things to do with an extra $1000 than blow it on a computer :)

I bought my wife a Mac Mini because I felt like it was actually a pretty darn good value for the money and it does everything she needs it for.

Maybe if I somehow get a ton of disposable cash flow, I might consider taking the leap

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I think you missed the point. The iMac isn't perfect. I can go "on and on" on the many gaps with the iMac machines and with Mac OS. Every time I bring up an gap, people think I'm attacking their "super perfect" iMac, Mac OS or Apple company. Would I pay "Dell, and it was $950 " NO. Like many, I got "sucked into the hype" of iMac and after a few months of using it, I notice it isn't perfect. It has gaps. For 2 to 3 times more price then my HP Laptop, I expect more. Much more. Thus, I no longer have "that WOW" feeling. Think of it this way.... If I bought a BMW instead of a "generic" Chev, I expect much more from that BMW as well. After all, BMW has a market repuation of smooth and easy to drive. Much better then a chevy. If iMac and OS is that great (better then a Windows clunker), do tell me the Apple native solutions (without 3rd party solutions) for the following?

- Ability to change Font & Menu sizing without text distoration? Windows 7 has a DPI ratio in a central location. What's Apple's Mac OS solution?
- Ability to play BluRay on the iMac. No, not 3rd party solutions. Native solution from Apple?
- Ability to change iSight Web Cam settings from within Mac OS? Why do I need to buy iGlasses (3rd party solution) to change simple things like lighting and zoom?

Like I keep saying... IMac and OS have "gaps". And they will continue have gaps - until people lobby - to fill these gaps. I'm not attacking your family's culture or religion. Just saying that iMacs (today's models) has gaps. And, they can do much better.... Sorry if others cannot agree (and cannot provide native solutons to my above 3 examples).

All OS's have gaps. Just some more than others. It is what are you willing to live with that counts. You're missing the point of why people use Macs in the first place. All the points you made are relatively minor issues. As opposed to Windows which have gaps that are major issues. Not saying there are not major issues with OSX, there are, but what are you willing to live with and what issues are major to the user is what counts.

No native solution for a touch mouse support. Even though touch mice exist for Windows. Everything is touch screen PC. That is major. Not a minor issue.

Most PC's you buy don't work properly with updates with the hardware you purchased. That is also major.

Macs are relatively immune to viruses because of the file system of the OS, which is based on UNIX. Windows is a virus magnet. And I don't want to hear about there are more Windows machines is the root cause. That is utterly false. Windows machines are easily infected because of the file system used on the OS.

The Mac’s software installation model requires that a user provide explicit approval before anything can be installed.

While bugs have existed (and probably still do) on both platforms that have, in the past, offered paths for exploitation (image renderers, the bind program, etc.), the large majority of exploits on PCs occur not through these paths but because users click on attachments they receive in email and those attachments carry malicious payloads. On PCs (prior to Vista) these could run simply after being clicked on (launched) by a user. No such path exists on Macs.

While you can click on an attachment to launch and run something on a Mac, doing so whether intentionally or accidentally will render a dialog forcing both acknowledgement and approval.

Even so that the target is smaller in the Mac world, there are also fundamental differences in how OS X and Windows 7 support and control the installation of software as well as how users and files control their access to important system resources.
Unix-based operating systems such as OSX (and NTFS-aware applications on Windows NT based platforms) only allow their users to run executables within their own protected memory space.Unlike Windows users, most Unix users do not log in as an administrator user except to install or configure software; as a result, even if a user ran the virus, it could not harm their operating system.

So whatever program the virus enters though or is ran from, is essentially contained in that program or file. It will not infect the rest of the system.

There are more Windows users than Mac users excuse is laughable. Linux has more viruses than Mac OSX and has way less users. OS9 had more viruses than OSX. To this day there has not been a outbreak of a virus on OSX, not one. Zero, nada, zippo, nothing. Even though there are millions of OSX users and millions of copies out there. Again a major issue.

The Mac, which draws its lineage from Unix, is significantly stronger in terms of protecting itself because it has roots as a multiuser platform.

PC's slow down over time. Macs do not. And I can go on, and on.

We all on here own or have owned a PC. Most on here know the differences between the two.

I currently have a HP elite with a intel i7 980 and my Mac i7 boots up in half the time. And yes I removed all the bloat ware off the PC. The Elite does not connect my ipad and iphone most of the time. I get error messages on updates on pre installed software that came with the PC. I constantly get hardware driver issues, constantly.

I have to resize the screen each time I start the computer due to a flawed compatibility between the graphic card and my monitor, which all came with the computer and is all made by HP.

Most people are sick of the bullcrap PC's give most users. Most of the time everything just doesn't work, or work well. That is a fact of life for 95% of PC users. Macs just work, and work well, and are for the most part problem free. Aside from the minor 'gaps' you just mentioned.

Macs just work when you want them too and how you want them too. PC's don't. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
All OS's have gaps. Just some more than others. It is what are you willing to live with that counts. You're missing the point of why people use Macs in the first place. All the points you made are relatively minor issues. As opposed to Windows which have gaps that are major issues.

No native solution for a touch mouse support. Even though touch mice exist for Windows. Everything is touch screen PC. That is major. Not a minor issue.

Most PC's you buy don't work properly with updates with the hardware you purchased. That is also major.

Macs are relatively immune to viruses because of the file system of the OS, which is based on UNIX. Windows is a virus magnet. And I don't want to hear about there are more Windows machines is the root cause. That is utterly false. Windows machines are easily infected because of the file system used on the OS. End of story.

PC's slow down over time. Macs do not. And I can go on, and on.

We all on here own or have owned a PC. Most on here know the differences between the two.

I currently have a HP elite with a intel i7 980 and my Mac i7 boots up in half the time. And yes I removed all the bloat ware off the PC. The Elite does not connect my ipad and iphone most of the time. I get error messages on updates on pre installed software that came with the PC. I constantly get hardware driver issues, constantly.

I have to resize the screen each time I start the computer due to a flawed compatibility between the graphic card and my monitor, which all came with the computer and is all made by HP.

Most people are sick of the bullcrap PC's give most users. Most of the time everything just doesn't work, or work well. That is a fact of life for 95% of PC users. Macs just work, and work well, and are for the most part problem free. Aside from the minor 'gaps' you just mentioned.

Macs just work when you want them too and how you want them too. PC's don't. It's as simple as that.

I actually HATE my Mac because it never breaks down. I have no reason to take it apart, no reason to upgrade it or install the OS. It OWNS me simply because I can't get in there and fiddle. After 3 years it's slowed down a little, and I'm so eager to just rip it apart and replace stuff, but aside from a SSD drive and a Lion install..... I'll prolly have it for 5 more years

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Still not too sure why some folks are so "sensitive" over your Macs. I bought one, use it and am NOT impressed with it. It certainly doesn't measure up to my expectations. Especially at its "best of the best" for multi-media usage "hype". Its like owning a BMW with fixed side mirrors or seats that cannot be adjust. re: Fixed iSight camera settings and Fonts / screen images that get distrorated when enlarging - for better readability. Yet, many folks say how wonderfull the iMacs are. I don't get it.... I keep saying where there's gaps (explain where and what Apple needs to do to fix it) and people dance around my points. Or, they feel I'm insuilting their culture. I really don't get it. And if wondering, Win 7 has some huge gaps as well. Its register is a huge gap. Tell me "Win 7 has a huge gap by using a Register" and I will agree 1000%. But mention a gap in an IMac or Mac OS and people get upset. Or, they get very sarcastic about it. I really don't get it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.