wow these computers really do get warm...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Blondie :), Aug 2, 2010.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

So I recently discovered that Istat Pro, Istat Nano and all those good programs can actually display temperature in fahrenheit as well. I was curious to see how hot these baby's really get when doing processor intensive stuff (ripping a DVD). I was amazed when the computer got up to 216 degrees fahrenheit before the fans kicked in! Now the fans are running at a constant 4370 RPM while the processor is sitting at 187 degrees! Holy Moly!!! Good thing I don't do this type of stuff often! Has anyone had their MB, MBP, or MBA literally cook from the inside out from being too hot too often?

2. Cpup macrumors member

Yeah they really do. I have the same thing. You might want to consider using smcFanControl. It lets you control the RPM of your fans and can cool down your computer when it gets really hot. And yes, this is my new macbook. My other one was cooked. Got up to like 400 degrees (it felt like it and it was literally smoking.) I freaked out and when I tried to turn it on it didn't work. Now I'm more careful (I don't want to waste another 1,000 bucks!;))

Bye for now Blondie, old pal,

Cpup:D

3. circularforward macrumors 6502

I think this is common with just about every small laptop (and even bigger ones) when you run intensive stuff. You're now aware of it, and I'm sure you'll take the proper precautions, if any. =)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one got angry. I just posted some links to related threads.

From Forum Rules:

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yeah its amazing how hot they get, but now the polycarbonate unibody seem to run cooler on the bottom, at least mine does.

6. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it does't feel super duper hot on the bottom or anything. This is the first MB I've owned, so I don't know how hot the other ones get. But yeah, it doesn't get super hot on bottom, which is nice :) I just wanted to start a little discussion on the heat of these bad boys haha. Isn't it crazy how intel says that the intel core 2 duo can get up to 105 C before you have to worry? I saw that and all I could say was good lord that's hot haha. As long as apple/intel make it to withstand the heat, I don't have a problem with it really :D I'll give SmcFanControl a try :)

7. Cpup macrumors member

Good! It is a great program and tells you the temp of your computer as well!

CPup:apple:

8. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm using it as we speak :) I've set it up so that when my computer is plugged in it'll run it at 4,000 RPM, and when on battery it will run 3,000 RPM. Are these fairly good settings to use? Usually when I have my computer plugged in I'm doing more intensive stuff, so I figured it'd work :cool:

9. Cpup macrumors member

Intense?

Yeah, it should be good, but what are you doing that you think is intense? I could give you what would be ideal for what you are doing.:D

10. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Depends on the day really. Some days I'll rip DVD's, others I'll play games like Starcraft II, and then other days I'll have multiple editing apps open, such as Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie, and Xcode, all while listening to iTunes haha

11. Cpup macrumors member

Ok, for that you should put your settings at about 5229 RPM to keep you computer cool!:D

12. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. Cpup macrumors member

No prob!:D

14. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Pardon my question. But might I ask why you didn't just chuck a few hundred bucks more for the 13" MacBook Pro instead? It'd be much more tolerant of the intense work you're putting in on it. Just asking.

15. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Im kinda shocked how relatively cool the current and the 2009 MB. Even when I'm using torrents, handbrake, its not burning hot like my old air, or my mold macbook pro in 2006. Those were HOTTTT as in the palm rest was super warm. The best part is there aren't many cooling slits on the mac! Just a small one near the back!

16. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

17. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha my 2007 macbook with tons of stuff running and the cpu at a solid 90% capacity sits and 182f and the fans run at 6300+ rpms and for web browsing its around 139f and the fans hover around the 1700, i find if i just leave them the way they work i never have any over heating issues, and this is also a huge issue for tower people, they get huge processors and graphics cards which require huge power supplies and then find out if they turn on there computer it could melt >_< haha so many little things =D

18. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really didn't think I'd end up doing all this much with it haha. Or else I would have trust me lol :p

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I just leave it on auto. Theres no point increasing the fans if its not needed, and when it is needed, the computer will do it automatically. The computer won't blow up on stock settings. Plus, I kind of like having less noise.

20. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

I decided to leave mine on auto too. Sure, smcfancontrol is way cool, but like you said, the computer is designed to take care of itself, so why not let it?

21. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yeah I agree. The macbook air seriously needed the user to control the cooling settings but the current MB is silent, at least for me. I rarely if ever hear the fans.

22. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

there's always smsfancontrol, btw my girlfriend mbp base model heats a LOT more than mine

23. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? I've always heard that the MBP is a lot cooler than the standard MB because it's got more "nuggets" as we'll say. What kind of work does she do with it?