Woz Laments No Headphone Jack on iPhone 7, Sees USB-C as Future of Audio

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 24, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has predicted a consumer backlash if Apple drops the headphone jack in the upcoming iPhone 7 in favor of an all-in-one Lightning connector for audio output, charging, and accessory connectivity.

"If it's missing the 3.5mm earphone jack, that's going to tick off a lot of people," claimed Woz, speaking to The Australian Financial Review.

[​IMG]

"I would not use Bluetooth - I don't like wireless," he said. "I have cars where you can plug in the music, or go through Bluetooth, and Bluetooth just sounds so flat for the same music."

With Apple widely expected to drop the headphone jack in next month's iPhone 7, rumors indicate the company will include Lightning-equipped EarPods in the box, as well as a Lightning-to-jack adapter to allow users like Woz to connect their existing wired earphones to the device.

"Mine have custom ear implants, they fit in so comfortably, I can sleep on them and everything. And they only come out with one kind of jack, so I'll have to go through the adapter," he said.

Asked what would have to change for him to consider using wireless in the future, Woz added: "If there's a Bluetooth 2 that has higher bandwidth and better quality, that sounds like real music, I would use it. But we'll see."

Bluetooth 5, announced in June, is expected to be faster, with longer range and a higher transfer rate, but when the standard will be ready for adoption remains unclear.

While the consensus is that Apple will remove the headphone jack in favor of Lightning, Intel continues to position USB-C as the open standard of the future for digital audio. The port is seeing wider adoption in popular Android-based smartphones.

"I think USB-C is going to be the future," said Woz. "One of my favorite Android phones, the Nexus 5X, uses that connector. It gives it a higher level in my own thinking."

Article Link: Woz Laments No Headphone Jack on iPhone 7, Sees USB-C as Future of Audio

2. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

If Apple swapped to USB C this would all be a lot easier because it is becoming a standard being on all phones and laptops. Woz is right

3. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Wired stuff is not the future.

It's so obvious it's almost painful, but resistance to change is so strong here.

4. Nimrad macrumors 6502

No offence to Wozniak, but he was never the visionary type.

5. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

John Sculley would have never approved this.

6. Ranste macrumors newbie

Ranste

What if I'm at work, I'm charging my iPhone and I want to listen to music stored on the phone? One port for audio and charging. Doh! o_O

7. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I think it's partly because it's standardised across the industry and almost everything uses the jack. Plus there's absolutely no comparison if you're serious about high audio quality (as I know you are)! Regardless, I do agree with you that it is the future, and a lot of people aren't quite ready to embrace the change; myself included.

However I think the thing that ticks most people off about this move is that the iPhone 7 doesn't really look much different. There isn't an aesthetic reason that justifies taking out the jack. It's just so that they can rip off the bandaid and get the pain out of the way.

If the iPhone 7 was a revolutionary, beautifully crafted device, then I think that would soften the blow for a lot of people. Right now, consumers are just feeling how they did when Apple soldered the RAM in the Mac Mini. It's just done for the sake of it, so people will grumble but not expect an audio jack/user-upgradable RAM in future iterations.

8. SMIDG3T, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016

SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Wireless audio isn't "flat". I have a pair and they are better than my wired ones. Go figure.

9. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Unless apple switches to USB-C, people will be mad. Headphone makers wont all bend to apples will to create lightning headphones. Some will, and some do, but why make headphones only apple devices can use? What happens when another port transition occurs?

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Are they different makes of headphones though? If so, it could just be the quality of headphones. No way audio quality is higher wireless than wired; wired being a decent DAC, or running straight from the audio jack.

I challenge anybody here to find a pair of wireless headphones that even touch the quality of MDR-7506s. And if you can find a pair, they'd be at least quadruple the price. At least.

11. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

Ever heard of a wireless earphone/headphone before? Jesus.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ever heard of using the same headphones you currently have on the new iPhone? Unless your solution is that everybody should just invest in a new pair of headphones. Jesus.

Charging the iPhone and listening to music at the same time is a very valid point. What will the quality of the DAC be? How sturdy would the converter be? Would Apple even release something that would allow charging & headphones at the same time?

13. Ranste macrumors newbie

Ranste

Ha, a comedienne. Well done. I don't use wireless ear/headphones, hence the comment. Jesus.

14. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Completely spot on, remove the headphone jack and solder the RAM if there's good reasons, but it does appear they are just doing it to be awkward to the consumer. Eventually it will be self defeating.

Edit: If they gave us a new glass case, curved screen, minimal bezels, OLED - Basically anything to make it appear justified then I doubt many people would really care, but judging by the leaks the case is the same dimensions, albeit with extra speaker holes.

15. Ranste macrumors newbie

Ranste

Thank you. Someone who can think outside the box.

16. ukmacpro macrumors member

I think he's absolutely spot on. If USB-C really is going to be the universal connector for absolutely everything, then it has to be the way to go...

Currently I use the same pair of in-ear monitors on my sound equipment, mac, iPad and iPhone. That option will be gone, and that's a shame...

17. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Well maybe you should ditch your current headphones and buy wireless ones; accept the drop in quality, and repairability, just so you can listen to music on your new iPhone. Jesus. ;)

18. Ranste macrumors newbie

Ranste

I. Must. Bow. To. JayJohnPaul. :rolleyes:

19. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ironically it's thinking very much in the box. These are fundemental problems with removing the audio jack that Apple should (and hopefully are already) considering solutions for.

Hey, I'll keep an open mind; see what happens when it's released. But if they screw it up, I'll be saltier than the Atlantic.

20. MacConvert07 macrumors member

MacConvert07

I agree with the "flat" comment. When I play music over Bluetooth instead of through a wired connection in my car, the music has less dynamic range, the highs are not as defined and lows aren't as punchy. Granted the average user may not notice the difference but to me, a musician, it makes a HUGE difference. It's comparable to when the iPod first came out and CDs were being ripped and compressed as crappy MP3s. The technology will get better, but right now wireless still lags significantly behind wired in audio quality in my opinion.

21. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

Would you consider yourself an audiophile? I've tried out the same speakers and headphones through Bluetooth (lossy), AirPlay (lossless), and wired (lossless), and didn't enjoy listening via the Bluetooth connection as much.

I think Woz means "flat" as in lacking the subtleties and sounds staging and air of high quality, lossless audio, not "flat" as in lacking bass or treble response.

22. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

This comment is very ill informed. Not visionary? Woz seemed to have some kind of vision putting together a bunch of components to make some impressive forward thinking computers well ahead of their time.

23. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

It's painful for me. I am keeping my 6S, because I recently purchased a Shure SE846 earphones, one of the best earphones Shure made. Guess what? It's not wireless.

I don't want to shell out another $300 for a Wireless headphone, because if I do, it'll be a Bose Quietcomfort 35, AND on top of the iPhone 7. So no. I'm sticking with the 6S and wait for the 10th year anniversary iPhone 8.

Kinda sad, because I upgrade the iPhone yearly too.

24. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Wireless headphones make sense if you're using your mobile device, iPhone, or iPad, more than three metres away. Most have their devices in their hands when they use them.