Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
If the BT-audio in his car sounds flat, he should check what A2DP codecs the car-receiver supports. Likely it is is just SBC, not AAC.

"iOS devices support the non-mandatory codec MPEG-2/4 AAC, as defined in Section 4.5 of the A2DP specification, Version 1.2. Accessories should use the AAC codec in addition to SBC, because it provides higher audio quality for a given bit rate."

https://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/BluetoothDesignGuidelines.pdf

Reactions: x-evil-x

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
The requirement to charge wireless earbuds and headphones for the foreseeable future makes me prefer wired by a wide margin. Charging is painful. And even if wired charged and played anywhere simultaneously this wastes additional battery life. It'd be different if we had two months battery life, but even at that high costs will be the issue. The path to wireless for those reasons will be slow for me. Woz is a great programmer and is one of the few billionaires with a great personality, but he's not a product guy—I wish USBc was the same physical size as lightning.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Why all the talk of headphones? It seems entirely reasonable for people to walk around using the speaker on their phone these days anyway, missed that memo. Headphones are so 2015 it seems :)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm guessing Apple has done some deep thinking before they decided to remove the headphone jack.

There are many types of people:
  1. Those who have NEVER plugged any headphones into the 3.5mm jack
  2. Those who only use the included earbuds
  3. Those who use Bluetooth headphones and car audio
  4. Those who use the 3.5mm jack
Numbers 1, 2 and 3 won't be affected by the removal of the headphone jack. So I wonder how big those segments of iPhone users are?

And how big is #4 ? Maybe it's not as big as we think.

What if for every one person who will be affected by the removal of the headphone jack... 5 more will not be? Or 10 will not be? I don't know the numbers... just spitballing here.

And even if you do use the headphone jack with your favorite wired headphones... you can use a dongle. Sure it's not ideal... but at least you don't have to throw out your $400 cans.

I understand why people are freaked out by this... but maybe they are in the minority?

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
What if I'm at work, I'm charging my iPhone and I want to listen to music stored on the phone? One port for audio and charging. Doh! o_O

Thank you. Someone who can think outside the box.
Wanna think outside the box?

How can you charge and listen to music at the same time? A cable splitter!!!! one lightning male port on one side > goes in the iphone and 2 females on the other > 1 for charging 1 for listening.

Like this, now immagine this much more elegant and compact!!

2.jpg

Od daisy chaining cables like this!!!

2-in-1+Cable.jpg

Or even a cable like this but with lightning instead of usbs..

NEWEST-Micro-USB-Male-To-USB-2-0-Female-Host-OTG-Cable-font-b-Adapter-b.jpg

There are plenty of solutions, you just have to think outsiede the damn box and immagine them made more elgant!!!

Last edited:

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

2.jpg
How exactly can it be "much more" compact? If it needs to receive a 3.5mm headphone jack, it is going to be at least big enough to house that. You could shorten the cable in the image below, but there isn't much else you can do with it. Also, it still needs a second port to allow charging (assuming you don't want to do that via QI).

Fancy that in your pocket, along with the phone? I certainly don't.

img_438851.jpg

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Would you consider yourself an audiophile? I've tried out the same speakers and headphones through Bluetooth (lossy), AirPlay (lossless), and wired (lossless), and didn't enjoy listening via the Bluetooth connection as much.

I think Woz means "flat" as in lacking the subtleties and sounds staging and air of high quality, lossless audio, not "flat" as in lacking bass or treble response.

Anytime you transmit an audio signal via wireless, the dynamic range must be compressed so that it can't "over-modulate" into adjacent bands. This is one of the reasons AM/FM radio stations have those fancy Orban limiters. Depending on the type of music you're enjoying, you might not notice it as much. Anyway, there's no free lunch.

Tom-Helge

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2010
Norway / Ålesund
Wanna think outside the box?

How can yuo charge and listen to music at the same time? A cable splitter!!!! one lightning male port on one side > goes in the iphone and 2 females on the other > 1 for charging 1 for listening.

2.jpg

Od daisy chaining cables like this!!!

2-in-1+Cable.jpg

Or even a cable like this but with lightning instead of usbs..

NEWEST-Micro-USB-Male-To-USB-2-0-Female-Host-OTG-Cable-font-b-Adapter-b.jpg

There are plenty of solutions!!
Running currents through the same cable as the sound goes through is most likely going to create noticable disturbances in the sound. So it's not recommended to do that.

Reactions: dsi76

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Wired stuff is not the future.

It's so obvious it's almost painful, but resistance to change is so strong here.
I agree that wired stuff is not the future, but let's make sure the wireless technology is up to snuff before we move to lower quality, wireless everything.

Reactions: IronWaffle

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I'm guessing Apple has done some deep thinking before they decided to remove the headphone jack.

There are many types of people:
  1. Those who have NEVER plugged any headphones into the 3.5mm jack
  2. Those who only use the included earbuds
  3. Those who use Bluetooth headphones and car audio
  4. Those who use the 3.5mm jack
Numbers 1, 2 and 3 won't be affected by the removal of the headphone jack. So I wonder how big those segments of iPhone users are?

And how big is #4 ? Maybe it's not as big as we think.

What if for every one person who will be affected by the removal of the headphone jack... 5 more will not be? Or 10 will not be? I don't know the numbers... just spitballing here.

And even if you do use the headphone jack with your favorite wired headphones... you can use a dongle. Sure it's not ideal... but at least you don't have to throw out your $400 cans.

I understand why people are freaked out by this... but maybe they are in the minority?

Yup. Even better Apple will have data. iOS knows when the phone is charging, it also knows when headphones are connected (like when you pull them out audio pauses). I imagine if you enabled "Send Diagnostic data to Apple" when setting up the phone they'll have this data. They'll also know how many people charge their phones whilst listening to music.

Much like when a large majority of users on this forum were complaining about the lack of Bluetooth keyboard support on the new Apple TV 4. Apple released data and it was a tiny fraction of the majority. Headphones are a more widely used accessory, but Apple will have decent quality data (something nobody on this forum has) and like you say will have made a thoughtful decision.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
How exactly can it be "much more" compact? If it needs to receive a 3.5mm headphone jack, it is going to be at least big enough to house that. You could shorten the cable in the image below, but there isn't much else you can do with it. Also, it still needs a second port to allow charging (assuming you don't want to do that via QI).

Fancy that in your pocket, along with the phone? I certainly don't.

img_438851.jpg
I was talking about the lightning one (since the issue is how do i charge and use the lightning headphones..)... and a quick photoshop (a bad one i know) shows you..

1112.jpg

Boom problem solved!!!!! (I should be working for Griffin or similar :p)

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Wireless audio isn't "flat". I have a pair and they are better than my wired ones. Good figure.

Depends on the type of earphones you're comparing them to. The average consumer doesn't spend big bucks on wired headsets but people with money (like Wiz) has no problems spending big bucks for custom fitting and custom sounding earphones. I've seen headphones costing thousands of dollars and audiophiles with money have no problems spending that much cash.
How many headphone manufacturers are going to make $1000 plus headphones with just the lightning connector? Or how many people are going to spend that much cash on headphones when it only works with Apple devices? It's easy to dump such a legacy connector but to replace it with a proprietary one is insane. USB-C has a better chance at becoming the new standard.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
And seemingly everyone missed the most important detail of the interview.

Woz, the cofounder of Apple, who is responsible for pushing the limits of a bunch of primitive silicone to design the machine that built Apple, uses what??? That's right, a Nexus Android phone.

Woz is a technology geek. He loves technology. If you came to him with a bunch of miscellaneous scrap parts and told him what you wanted it to do, he'd design it and make it perform the task. He could make a super computer out of an electronic can opener.

Anyone can come up with ideas. It takes a genius to make those ideas a reality when they've been supplied with a heap of junk parts. Woz is the original Macguyver. He made the impossible happen with a bunch of junk.

Apple without Woz hasn't seen the same level of monopoly in the computer industry as it did with Woz.

I'd imagine Woz gets a good chuckle watching Ive and Cook.

Woz has taken the high road and maintained his love of technology, rather than succumbing to greed.

And while he has always graciously tried to show Apple in a favorable light, he's found the Nexus Android phone to either serve him better, or provide a more enjoyable experience.

Nexus should be proud to have captured the interest of the world's biggest and most die hard technology geek.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I was talking about the lightning one (since the issue is how do i charge and use the lightning headphones..)... and a quick photoshop shows you.. (immagine this with 2 lighing females instead 2 usb)

111.jpg

Boom problem solved!!!!! (I should be working for Griffin or similar :p)

But the issue is the dongle. Call me crazy but I would rather have 2 lightning ports at the bottom with the speaker sitting in the middle (especially if the reports indicate that the other speaker grill is just for looks). Is there some rule that phones should not have 2 ports? I could definitely see 2 USB-C ports on Android phones in the near future because phones like the Note 7 can actually use USB storage or even charge other devices.

Reactions: 5105973

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
But the issue is the dongle. Call me crazy but I would rather have 2 lightning ports at the bottom with the speaker sitting in the middle (especially if the reports indicate that the other speaker grill is just for looks). Is there some rule that phones should not have 2 ports? I could definitely see 2 USB-C ports on Android phones in the near future because phones like the Note 7 can actually use USB storage or even charge other devices.
If you are charging, you are at a desk most likely, the dongle is not an issue...

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Like Apple would give the iPhone more ports than the MacBook.

I agree it would be a decent compromise. But Apple is too arrogant to do it.
[doublepost=1472033206][/doublepost]
If you are charging, you are at a desk most likely, the dongle is not an issue...

Why not???

I charge my phone while playing music through a set of wired speakers in my home.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

It's so obvious it's almost painful, but resistance to change is so strong here.

Maybe but this is the present and like Woz said, like my and lots of other ears confirm with his comment, BT audio just isn't at the quality level that wired audio can be with the same source material. Frankly it's so obvious it's almost painful, but the rush to change in spite of quality is so strong with some here.

Yes, full sounding wireless audio is the future, but until then it's premature to dump wired.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Like Apple would give the iPhone more ports than the MacBook.

I agree it would be a decent compromise. But Apple is too arrogant to do it.
[doublepost=1472033206][/doublepost]

Why not???

I charge my phone while playing music through a set of wired speakers in my home.
Because the dongle would be an issue on the go... in your pocket, not so much on a desk...

Reactions: 5105973

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
If woz stayed with apple, today there will be no apple in tech world.
[doublepost=1472033453][/doublepost]
Wireless headphones make sense if you're using your mobile device, iPhone, or iPad, more than three metres away. Most have their devices in their hands when they use them.

Using wired headphone in front of the computer is not comfortable for me. The cable will get its way to disturb me.

Reactions: smacrumon

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Because the dongle would be an issue on the go... in your pocket, not so much on a desk...

So if I have one port, I'm left with the choice of enjoying my music or charging my phone.

I like having my phone charging and still usable while I'm home. That way it's always fully charged when I leave home.

With one port, I'll have to just give up listening to music at home through my wired speakers if I want my phone to be fully charged when I leave.

And no I'm not giving up my wired speakers. I'll switch to Android first. My speakers provide the sound of a live concert. Carefully picked, carefully placed, and properly tuned. I like my music. I'll go Android before I go wireless. And I'll go Android before I have to choose between charging and using my phone.

As for the splitter idea, yes that could work. But ultimately this just feeds into Apple's greedy royalty plan. Anything that pugs into the Lightning jack will have to be licensed by Apple with their extortion fees attached.

Reactions: saytheenay

XmasRights

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
London

Agreed - Once we have a decent solution for wireless power, I think consumers will warm more to the idea of ditching cables entirely.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
As for the splitter idea, yes that could work. But ultimately this just feeds into Apple's greedy royalty plan. Anything that pugs into the Lightning jack will have to be licensed by Apple with their extortion fees attached.
As we do not have the product yet we do not know if the splitter (well if there is one :p )will be inside the package (may be only for this version and not the next year one), for now it is all speculation, but there is a "solution".

They did that before (iPhone 5):
"Your iPhone includes a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter for connecting 30-pin accessories to devices featuring the Lightning connector."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.