Woz on antenna issue, Google, and Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netnothing, Aug 4, 2010.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

2. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

See, there's your confirmation. Mark your calendars!

3. Brandon3003 macrumors member

Nothing but respect for the Woz. Definitely has a good head on his shoulders. :cool:

4. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I agree with what he said about the antenna. It's been blown out of proportion. I can make my phone drop reception, but that's if I purposely try. When I'm using it like I usually do, there's no problem.

5. billycuth macrumors 6502a

"Sure I can make it happen, but in terms of daily usage... I've yet to drop a call..."

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Totally discredits everything he said ...

... unless he's on Verizon.

7. err404 macrumors 68020

Depends on where you live. AT&T has been very reliable for me in central NJ. Verizon has worse reception where I work. Many of my co-works have switched to AT&T because they cant get a reliable signal from Verizon. YMMV

8. zed macrumors 6502

I must say, I admire that guy... seems very down-to-earth.

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Discredits nothing. The only dropped calls on my iPhone 4 I've had so far were when my husband's 1st gen iPhone was in a poor signal area. After a few tries, he moved to another location and the rest of the call was fine. It was pretty obvious the problem was on his end, not mine.

99% of my time is spent in a strong signal area, and other than that one night, I've had NO drops. Frankly, the 4 doesn't even drop calls in areas that were utter dead zones for my 1st gen iPhone. As with Woz, I can force my phone to drop bars, but in real life usage, it's been a non issue for me. Given how Silicon Valley is utterly blanketed by cell towers, if he's not holding it "wrong", he's probably not dropping calls either.

It's not to say there's not an issue (or even that it's as minimal as some claim), but not everyone is affected.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wish it wasn't highly edited, but it's a great link

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

It's highly edited enough I wonder if what he was trying to say was anything close to what the video tries to make him appear to say. I mean it's easy enough to cut and paste and have some one say something entirely different than what they said. The video is so badly edited even that it seems that they would cut out entire parts of sentences and graph other sentences on there. Maybe they didn't and only cut out random comments, but their editing was crappy and just makes it appear to be them rewording stuff. I suppose if they really were trying to be dishonest they could have edited it better to not make it so obvious they had cut a lot of stuff out.

But, the video seems suspect to me with how much was obviously cut out.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I think his previous interview on the matter was more truthful.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

"Call Failed" is something I have grown accustomed to. Same with dropping calls and talking to myself while the line have already been dropped.

Getting used to AT&T's spotty networks and i4's death grip is what Apple was banking on. Time is in Apple's favor, and I guess if it keeps on pretending the issue doesn't exist, eventually it would just fade away like everything else.

i4 is still a great product nevertheless, but it is too bad that it could be better.

14. billycuth macrumors 6502a

That was actually a snarky reference to the Antenna Song, by Jonathan Mann...

N-E-way, for me, I can't even remember the last time I dropped a call. I have a razr 2 currently, but I am chomping at the bit to upgrade to the iphone4. Should be able to any day now...

15. fishmoose macrumors 68000

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

So, what is his job now for Apple? I know he co-found it, but does he "work" for Apple anymore?

17. aedraste macrumors member

Did we watch different videos? Confirmation of what exactly?

18. OC513 macrumors 6502

when he left he requested that he be made an "honorary Apple employee for life"....that request was granted and he earns like $25K a year from that.....but it is, as stated, honorary in nature.....he doesnt really work there.

19. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Woz is a world renowned professional Segway athlete and makes his living from competitions.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I don't agree with what he said about Google though. I believe all the same stuff he could have said about Apple as well.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Woz is a has been and he's full of ****. He is on record as stating he carries 2 cell phones, one a Verizon phone.

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

There's something wrong with that? I think most of use have two phone, VZW BBerry for work, and the iP4 for myself! I assume you're joking, but come on dude! Not a reason to kill the fellow!

23. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

24. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I call BS. I get two to three dropped calls every single day driving from San Francisco to the Penninsula.