Wrapsol + sleeve or case only?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cityathrt, Aug 3, 2011.

1. cityathrt macrumors regular

Pretty much what the thread title says, should I use the combination of a wrapsol and snug sleeve for my new MBA 11", or snap on a case to it?

I love the lightness and feel of aluminum, so the Wrapsol is looking very tempting right now. However, I'd be afraid of dropping it or accidentally flinging it around, since the 11" is so small and light. I'm considering the Speck SeeThru Satin case, but have read on the forum that it causes overheating and may damage the hinge over time. Suggestion and opinions everyone?

2. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Try phantomskinz. I used to purchase only wrapsol till I found phantomskinz. Much better quality and the cuts are cleaner. I recommend them over wrapsol any day. Plus they include the sides ports to be covered along with keyboard and trackpad.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Thing is, phontomskinz is $20 more expensive right now - do you think it's worth 70% more?

I'm trying to decide on protection also...

4. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I really like my Speck see through (clear) case. If the fans ever turn on, I'm unaware of it.

5. nowstime macrumors regular

Currently I have a combination of Wrapsol & Incase sleeve. Loving it!!!

My wife used to have a MBP 13 with a clear Speck case and although it was neat and clean, the weight of the lid made the screen hinge a bit week. After 6 months the hinge got definitely weaker.

To me even with the case I felt that I needed something when I had it in my backpack.

Wrapsol has great costumer service and lifetime replacement so get it from an authorized retailer and save the invoice or receipt. Fry's has them for around $29.99 or order from Wrapsol.com (I think they currently have a special - you need to spend $35 to qualify for free shipping).

Wrapsol is great with no added bulk and provides protection in everyday normal use while the sleeve is great for the go.

Hope you get what you want...

6. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

How much is wrapsol? Phantomskinz is $45. There is a 25% code (summersale25). That makes it about $33-34. Wrapsol is only $13-14?

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Plastic shell cases add 11 oz. plus in weight. I did iCarbon skin and sleeve for my MBA 11. Trying two sleeves, one is the incase without zipper neoprene one, the other is an incoming Brenthaven with the integrated handle flat against the sleeve. (Received on warranty for the cost of shipping it.) So one is vertical loading; the other is horizontal.

8. sparkhill macrumors regular

Wrapsol and SF Bags Suede Jacket here. I like the texture of Wrapsol and the Suede Jacket is a wonderful addition if you only require a modest amount of protection.

I had clear cases on previous MacBooks, including the first-gen Air, and they do not offer that much protection. If you drop the laptop the corners will still get banged up and dust gets trapped under the plastic cover scratching the cover and your MacBook. Skins are the way to go. I tried PhantomSkins on my iPad; while it was a good product and cut better than Wrapsol, I took it off and installed Wrapsol because I like the texture of Wrapsol.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I didn't realize there was a code for phantomskinz. The wrapsol is $30 + shipping.. at which point I may as well get the mrs. a kindle cover and get free shipping..

I'll check out phantomskinz. What's the finish like? matte?

I'm thinking about carbons.. but given no code for them - it's 66% more to get, they have no replacement policy, etc.. which sucks if you ever have to exchange the air - which isn't completely unlikely.

10. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I like the wrapsols, but was disappointed that the wrapsol for my new 11" MBA did not include protection for the area above the palm rest and along the sides of the keyboard.

11. marrzie macrumors regular

Are you saying it didnt include skin for the 2 areas beside the keyboard? For example if this were a macbook pro it would be the area where the speakers are. Is that the area you are referring to?

12. Brooke00000 macrumors newbie

I've watched videos, but I still can't tell how hard the Wrapsol is to apply. When you lay down the skin, are you still able to move it around to align it due to the wet application?

Thanks!

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Yes.

15. sparkhill macrumors regular

I think that there must have been some issue at Wrapsol. The kit I ordered for my mid-2010 MBA did have the palm rest coverage but my 13" kit I just ordered did not. The photo on the website and the box shows both interior and exterior coverage.

16. robby818 macrumors 6502a

When wrapsol first released the protection pack for the 2010 MBA, the kits did contain those side protectors. But they stopped including them sometime around when they re-cut the lid portion because it was cut too large. I know this bec I was one of the first people to complain to Wrapsol about the improper fit of the lid piece. To their credit, they redesigned the piece quickly and mailed me a new kit. But yeah the new kit didn't include the little side pieces.

17. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

I've had wrapsol and an InCase sleeve on my 13" MBP since the day I got it - and if i travel, i throw it in my bag with the charger..no complaints here..

plus, I love the look of the unibody aluminum.

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

It should have included some interior protection. Just not the pieces next to or above the keyboard. If you didn't get any you should contact them I'd think.

Unless others can confirm that is incorrect?

19. alau0115, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

alau0115 macrumors regular

To the OP: I would suggest film +sleeve vs hard shell + sleeve because I have read the shell may scratch up the surface why you put it on or take it out, say for cleaning. Plus as the other people said, it adds weight.

Film wise, I have been using Wrapsol for all my Mac laptops, including the MacBook Air. The texture is matte and it looks very close to the aluminum surface. The fitting is great as well. So far, I am impressed with the great details Wrapsol has paid when desiging the kit. For example, for the back side of the 1st gen, the kit is designed such as that there is a orientation. The back of 1st ipad appears to be symmetrical but the top and bottom has a slightly different curvature. If you flip the film top to bottom, the film fitting is off a bit and yet you can install it with more seams.

For the 11" MBA, there should be film for the palm rest besides the trackpad and the trackpad as I have them on mine. If they are missing you should contact Wrapsol.

For the sleeve, if you use a snug sleeve such as the Waterfield Suede Jacket sleeve or the Radtech Sleevez, they fit well but you have to have a padded bag for adequate shock protection.

If you want to put the Air in an unpadded bag, a compact padded sleeve such as STM Jacket Extra Small is good.

20. alau0115 macrumors regular

I bet you refer to the 13" MBA, correct? The 11" version for the 2010 MBA didn't have the oversize problem for the lid.

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

C'mon, c'mon...

The Ghost Armor version of the black iCarbon's should be in at the kiosk in a hour or two, which means that I should get them installed today.

Yes, I know they're expensive! But they've done a great job with my iPad, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I'd rather pay to watch someone do it flawlessly than waste an hour or two of my time and have it look like crap.

Will try to post pictures of it on the 2011 13" and the 2010 11".

Blackbook Air! Boo-yeah!:D

22. cityathrt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everyone! Despite the ability of not having to worry about nicking my MBA if I bumped into something... I've decided to forgo a case based on everyone's suggestions here.

I'm sure I'll get a neoprene sleeve (no velcro or zippers) from Amazon. While Incase makes a nice looking one, it's too expensive compared to the $15 version I found on amazon. I was briefly tempted by a Jolie Originals case, but felt that the leather, while lush, wouldn't do much to absorb shock. As for the skin, I'm still reading the thread and taking in everyone's suggestions. Please keep them coming!

23. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Interesting. I didn't realize ga made a clone of icarbons. What was the installed price?

24. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

i returned my wrapsol today. Idk how everyone else got theres on, but after spraying it to get it wet and putting it on the top of my air, it would not move around at all so i could position it just right. i went through a whole spray bottle and eventually said f it this stuff sucks. Now i'm just going all natural :)
    but a sleeve to carry it around in duh! (speck pixelsleeve)

25. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

You love the FEEL of it, yet you are covering it up?

Once you start using an Apple product unprotected, you easily get the best use out of it. At the rate re-sale prices are dropping it wont matter if an Apple product has scratches on them or looks new.