Wrestling? I cannot get my head around it.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Goftrey, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

My little brother has recently became freakishly obsessed with wrestling (or guys on steroids in lycra jumping on eachother).

I had to watch through the ordeal of one of the episodes, what the hell is it?

Is it a reality show? Or a sport? Or what? The commentators where saying they were the most amazing elite athletes in the world? What the...?

It's honestly one of the only things I simply cannot get my head around, can someone please explain what it is and why it is like the way it is?

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

It's not really a sport, most, if not all, of the moves are fake.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Wrestling is ace.

It's all choreographed and scripted though, that goes without saying.

4. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Being a fan when I was little, (I even made some The Rock underpants once.. Glitter, Glue. AWESOME)

But, it's entertainment.... (If that's what they want to call it)

5. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

The simple answer is a that it's a soap opera for guys.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I watched it when I was younger. It's "sports entertainment." It's no different than watching a movie, soap opera, or any other scripted show. The actors are a little worse at acting, but they do their own stunts.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

In fairness, the acting and storylines are more believable than most soap operas. :p ;)

8. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I could understand little kids (I used to watch it), what's harder to explain is the people who don't grow out of it

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I used to love what the Rock was cookin'.

10. quagmire, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The moves are scripted and choreographed, but hardly fake.....

Think this is fake?

Ministry Undertaker was my favorite gimmick of his....

11. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Okay, so perhaps fake was the wrong word.

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I liked it in the 80's when I was a kid. Then I eventually lost interest. I saw it again in high school, because my buddies thought it was great. It had changed too much and every time someone was losing their buddy would come rushing in to save them. It had become completely ridiculous.

Now that there is UFC where they are really fighting I can not see the point at all in watching fake wrestling. It had some relevance when all that was really on TV was boxing so wrestling (even though it was staged) was the only alternative for full contact fighting. Martial arts competitions were very rare to ever find on TV and MMA was unheard of.

Anyways as I understand it. The match is not completely choreographed. They are just told whom is to win and work out some of the details beforehand. Then when in the ring they signal each other what moves they are going to do so the other can prepare to assist or take the appropriate fall. They do still get injuries as with anyone doing aerobics. Back and joint problems are quite prevalent.

13. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Wrestling definitely isn't fake. The guys do put their bodies on the line and it is quite the sport. Probably a lot of guys here wouldn't even be able to physically handle a 3 minute match. Sure they don't actually punch and kick each other for real, and most of the holds are quite easy to break out of and don't really choke or incapacitate, but that doesn't mean they're easy to pull off and don't require muscle strength and flexibility, nor that cardio and endurance aren't important.

However, it is over scripted and choreographed for sure and people mostly watch it for pure entertainment value.

I used to follow it before a evening/night job prevented me from doing so. Since I got out of it, I never could quite get back in again. Still do enjoy watching it from time to time.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The only wrestling I want to see involves 'Two beautiful women, bikini's and a pool of mud' :D

16. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

you took the words out of my mouth

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd