Wrist size ?, 38 or 42

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ocsupersonic, Apr 6, 2015.

1. ocsupersonic macrumors newbie

Going one way then the other, driving me mad :mad:!
    I'm male wrist size 177mm and can't decide between the 38 or 42. Done the cutouts, looked at the "compare case sizes" on the iphone app some days I think the 42 looks like an iphone 4 on a strap and way tooooo big and the 38 looks nice and is the one for me then the next day the 38 looks small and the 42 will be easier to look at and will have slightly better battery life.
    Just wondered what wrist size/watch size people people are going for.

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Why not go to the store for a test next week?

I haven't messured my wrist but I'll be doing a 42mm. I personally don't think small watches look good on men, besides watches where a choice isn't given :cool:.

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Go the 42. In recent years it's been fashionable to wear bigger watches.

4. ru7hl355 macrumors regular

i was in the 38mm camp for a long time, but after cutting them out and putting them on top of a watch, the 42mm is what im getting. it really is alot smaller when the correct height and the straps are too thin for my liking....

5. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

While true, that 'trend' is actually dying out.

----------

I created this a couple of weeks back - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1856295

6. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You're a man, get the 42. Screen size will be a plus.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Is it? I don't see many manafactures creating smaller watches these days? I'm not talking about the silly oversized offering, I'm talking in general, manafactures are producing larger sizes.

8. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Im in the same boat as you OP and I have used every resource to try and gauge size and still go back and forth. I even have gone as far as arguing with myself as to which to preorder before I go and try them on later that morning. first world problems may end up giving me a heart attack.

9. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

There are plenty of threads already discussing this which you would be better off reading as lots of opinions on this topic have already been shared, but my thoughts are:

- Always go with your gut - if you know you prefer smaller watches, be wary of being swayed to getting a larger one because it 'makes sense' or 'is fashionable' or 'will have better battery'. At the end of the day, this is a personal choice that you will have to live with every day - even if 99% of others wear 42mm, if you are happier with 38mm then that's all that matters. No-one else will regret your choices for you.

- The only way to know for sure is to try them on in-store.

- only take other people's opinions into consideration if they have stated their wrist size. One man's 'small' who has large wrist may be your 'large' if you have smaller wrists.

- only consider getting the 'fashionable' choice (e.g. "Larger watches are in fashion") if you care about that sort of thing.

For me, I'm 175mm and prefer understated watches so will be getting 38mm, even though I prefer the leather loop strap only available with 42mm, will get 'slightly' worse battery and have a smaller screen. I want to love wearing this and too chunky will prevent that.

10. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

As I said on another thread, no adult male should be going for the 38mm. Far too small & looks ridiculous on your wrist.

11. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Wrist size ?, 38 or 42

Please, just stop trolling. And, if they are really your views, please grow up and reevaluate life's priorities.

From an adult male who is getting the 38mm watch :)

12. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

That's your opinion, which should govern only your choice of watch, no-one else's. It is absurd to generalise this way for "all men".

13. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I have quite a few high end watches and most are between 41-44mm, bear in mind these are traditional round faces. The 41mm is bordering on what is acceptable to have on the wrist, especially for an adult male. 42-44mm is the sweet spot. I think you'll find pretty much everyone who's in to wearing watches will tell you that.

Having seen some of the 38mm Apple Watches demoed, it's far too small. 42 looks so much better. But enjoy your 38mm watch...

----------

Not absurd when you see how daft the 38mm looks on a male wrist...

https://twitter.com/helmstetler/status/584966770978459648

Look how the strap is actually on the top part of his wrist. It should never go that high, it looks stupid.

14. mukow macrumors newbie

I'm in the exact same boat in that I have a wrist-size of 176mm but am waffling between the 38 and 42mm sizes. I've favorited both in the Apple Store app with Milanese loop.

I had heard from a retail employee that marking your favorites will go towards them keeping stock for you until your try-on appt. I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere, so unless I hear otherwise, I will probably pre-order one on the morning of April 10 and keep that order until I can try on.

I was originally tempted to go 42mm, for the screen size and battery. However, I don't want the bulk and want to entertain the possibility of handing this gen1 down to somebody once I inevitably upgrade to a gen2+. I think that will be easier with a 38mm since I know more women who are reluctant to buy tech for themselves.

Good luck on April 10.

15. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Clearly we won't agree, but I'll try one more time to re-state the point... That is *your opinion*, it does not make it fact.

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I know how to wear a watch and how it should fit your wrist and how it should look. The 38mm is just too small, you will see for yourself when you get yours, unless you have very small wrists of course...

17. dilap macrumors 6502a

Different men have different sized wrists. You cannot say all men have one size, some will have small, others big. So for some, the 38mm will fit great.

18. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I will enjoy my 38mm watch, thank you. I'll also enjoy knowing that I can make my own decisions, wearing whatever I want and that I am not restricted due to caring about other people's opinions :)

Plus, I think that watch looks good on that guy!

19. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Stop making choices based on your own personal preference! Don't you realise there's a "right" and a "wrong" when it comes to taste and fashion!?

20. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Sorry to disappoint you. I'm adult man and I'm getting 38mm.

42mm would look ridiculously too big on my wrist.

21. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

22. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

You've made me see the light! As I'm a man, the only option now is to go for 42mm. Thanks for the help! ;)

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

Which size you get has absolutely no bearing on wrist size or gender. It all comes down to personal choice and preference and what the individual think is right for him/her. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that is all it is opinion and not in any way fact. People shouldn't get hung up on what other people think. Make up your own mind and choose the one you think is right for you. I'm a male with wrist size of 165mm and I'm getting the 42mm model. That is my choice and preference.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

male, same wrist size as you, and I am getting the 38mm. I like my watches to be on the smaller side.

----------

this is actually comical.

doesn't look too small to me....it actually looks much more fashionable.
    [​IMG]

25. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I can't be the only one thinking the 42mm would look ridiculous on some (even a male's :rolleyes:) wrists?

Take this as an example:
    [​IMG]

But then the 38mm can look a little small:
    [​IMG]

Just depends on your wrist size. There's no right or wrong nor male or female size, just what works for you.

Personally, I'm going to try both on before preordering. At 185mm, I think I could probably wear either. Leaning towards 38mm at the moment.