writing or typing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cpit, Jul 9, 2009.

?

Do you prefer write by hand or type?

1. Write by hand

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Type

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  3. Both - matters what its for

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. cpit macrumors newbie

Which do you all prefer for various things?

I'm in high school and use my computer to take ALL of my notes (except for calc and occasionally some science classes). I find that since I can type without looking at the keyboard (but can't write without seeing the paper), the best way to pay attention and take notes at the same time is to type. I also do it to save paper and so I have a centralized place for everything, instead of various notebooks that'd I'd constantly leave around and lose. I get really bored and annoyed when I have to handwrite essays because it takes such an insanely long time to pump out a couple sentences, and no one can read my handwriting anyway (it's not messy, just that not many people my age can read script anymore, and adults say my handwriting is too small. looks pretty from a distance though).

On the other hand, when it comes to calendars and to-do lists and random notes for myself, it HAS to be on paper. I feel too restricted doing that stuff when typing. I need to be able to scribble and have my organizational pattern how I want it.

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I would have to agree with you on both, however I am working on using a computer for organizing my thoughts and to dos as well. Typing is much quicker for me and I also agree about carrying many notebooks. Actually it is very interesting to see that someone else has the exact same feelings (nearly) on this.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I love to type. I am very fast and efficient at typing. I hate writing. I don't like my handwriting, unless I am writing in pen. :)

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I carry more pounds of notebooks*around than paper

*meaning computers

5. MegaMillions macrumors regular

I definitely prefer typing. I type at an average of 125 WPM on a computer, and around 35 WPM on my iphone. Both are much faster than my hand writing.

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Wow! You have like a definite advantage like 5 fold at least...Does anyone actually write faster than type (I know people do, but like on this site or is it common i guess)?

7. c-had macrumors newbie

Added capabilities enabled by a laptop

I very much agree that typing notes is a better experience than hand-writing them. Another nice thing not mentioned is that software can augment your notes to make them more useful. I write an app called Pear Note ( http://www.usefulfruit.com/pearnote/ ) which augments your notes with audio, video, and/or slides in addition to making searching your notes easier. It comes in very handy when you realize you missed something in your notes after the fact. Just one example of how using your computer for taking notes can help you learn.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I can write faster than type. Or at least, I used to be able to do it. I don't write as much as I did in college. The problem is that when I start writing really fast, my cursive writing ends up looking like an EKG graph or something. I used to type pretty fast when I worked help desk, but my skills have degraded since then. I suck at typing on my Touch, which is one reason why I don't see myself getting an iPhone any time soon.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

good topic!!

i use my laptop for everything, its so so so much easier then writing. could you imagine MacRumors as a hand written based forums HAHA!?!? for essays i type everything too, its so easy to organise my terms uni work into a word document then print it out without having to find every sheet of paper.

the only time i do write is for my maths classes and for studying - i can remember much much better when i write things out by hand.

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Typing, but there are times when a nice handwritten note is appropriate, such as a love letter or a cute sticky note on the fridge. They would be pretty impersonal if they were typed.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ohhhh yea so true!! forgot all about those.

sometimes i get away with love letters that are typed because i have my own handwriting as a font (used a friends tablet to make my exact hand writing the font ehehehe).

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I prefer typing, but my school has a no-computer rule. Apparently, computers are the same as cell phones, and you can IM/Text/get in touch with the outside world.

They really like to trap us inside there.

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Depends on my mood.

generally, the less analytically-mooded and more creative I'm feeling the more I prefer pen and paper for writing.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

for me in college it depended on the class that I was in at the time would determine if I would type or write my notes.

My last 2 years of school I hardly ever used my old laptop because all my classes were either formula or diagram heavy so it was easier just to use pencil and paper for my notes. Joys of an engineering major.

I would used my laptop in history, some science, and government classes but anything math based it was pencil and paper.

I type a lot faster than I write.

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

My writing is atrocious - my cursive especially so. I never write in cursive, which is a shame, but I'm too lazy to learn it properly. :/ I write notes by hand, because I find it helps me remember better, and there's less distraction (no internet in my binder!).

I do liked typed notes for search-ability and ability to easily add things in that you missed, though... I might go back to using my MacBook to take notes in September.

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Writing most of the time.

All of my notes for university are handwritten. I think typing your notes leads to a few bad note-taking habits, whereas handwriting forces you into the good habits of note-taking. If you type fast, you are able to take down everything the professor says during lecture. If you use paper and pen for your notes, you are forced to listen, actually listen, to the lecture, and then decide what is most important to take down. Plus, the actual act of writing makes me remember better than if I simply typed everything out.

The only time I type for any of my classes is when I have a large paper to turn in. I turn in some assignments on paper and pen if it is allowed.

17. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Well said.
    Writing — pen/pencil on paper — is a skill that should be nurtured.
    For me there is something in the rhythm, the pressure of the words forming on paper that no keyboard can get close to.

18. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I much prefer typing. One, there's spell check, and I can type three times faster then I can write.

As you can imagine, my English teacher who required that we write in cursive was and still is my worst enemy.

By the way, a poll would be nice.

Don

19. jrrdnx macrumors member

jrrdnx

Definitely typing. Can't stand my handwriting, and am a very fast typer... 100+ wpm (net) last time I tested myself.

20. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I would have chosen both for practical reasons, but I enjoy writing too much, I love watching the flow of the ink when it comes into contact with paper.
    I enjoy studing people's handwriting, that way if someone scribbles a note, I can tell who its from if they don't leave a name. Well, this only works if I work with them or their handwriting alot.

Yes I am a weirdo!

21. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Ethernet FTW!

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

23. cpit thread starter macrumors newbie

mmm yes I think whenever it is supposed to be meaningful in any way, typing is the cheap and easy way out (the only exception to this is when it took a lot of time, like making a special card in photoshop). I like snail mail a lot not to keep in touch (that's what fb and videochat is for), but to show that I really care about someone and took the time to make something special for them.

I'm so glad that my school allows computers (except for the few smart teachers who have a clue what we do on them all class and ban them). Most people go on facebook (blocked but that doesn't stop anyone), read fashion blogs, even silently video chat with someone in another class. In boring classes, I confess to catching up on the news and iming people and just surfing the web. Taking notes takes little to no effort, and if a teacher ever comes close to my screen I switch to a different "space" (I use command # for my short cut, so it's really quick and easy) that has my notes on it. I don't feel guilty about it though because I'm a believer in students watching out for their own back, not having to be babied by teachers. If they screw themselves over by not paying attention, their fault. My grades are good so if it's a class I don't give crap about, I'm gonna do something worthwhile on my comp instead.

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Grocery shopping lists I handwrite. Also post-it notes, condolence letters, birthday card scribbles, anything that's not suited to email or when I just want it to carry a more personal touch.

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It largely depends on the context; I type quite often, but there are times, especially when I am teasing out something, when writing by hand (by fountain pen) helps focus my mind. So, I use both, and I find that they tend to complement each other. However, there are times when only a hand-written note will do.

Cheers