Wrong apple watched gifted to me..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Galacticos, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

Hey,

I was lucky enough to have been given an Apple Watch 2 the other day as a gift.
    However the watch I received is the wrong size, 38mm, which isn't any good for me as I have wide/big wrists.

I was hoping to be able to get someone at an Apple Store to facilitate me swapping the 38mm for a 42mm in some way.

I was able to get out of the generous friend that they bought the watch roughly 2 months ago.

I'm really hoping it's not going to pose a problem and can be swapped somehow.

Has anyone got any tips/info or suggestions about this that would help this situation??

Thanks in advance

2. slappypig macrumors member

slappypig

Go in and be honest. Have you opened it? Taken off all the various plastic pieces? Ripped the box?

The more it looks new in box the better IMHO.

3. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

Yeah it's been opened and the plastic gone but I haven't used it.

I'm just a bit worried that given it was purchased a while ago although gifted to me recently that that might cause a problem when I'd be more than happy to pay the difference for a larger one..

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If the box is unopened and you are lucky, they MAY make an exception. You box is open and I doubt they will do it.

They are not obligated to do so as it is past the return window for exchange/refund.

5. slappypig macrumors member

slappypig

Try Apple as I've learned the worst that can happen is they say no - if they don't budge then I suppose you could sell the watch online and use the funds towards the 42mm you want.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If it's opened and you don't have proof of purchase, as it's two months past the return period as you noted, I doubt Apple will make an exception in your situation

It's not that Apple can't assist you, but for them to accept returned hardware unknowingly where it was purchased from/date can be an issue for certain reasons.

Your second option would be to sell it and upgrade from there.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Agreed. I watched a brand new iPhone dropped and busted on the concrete sidewalk just outside the Apple store and one of the geeks replaced it with a brand new boxed device. Made me a life long customer.

8. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I know it was purchased at my local store so they'll have a record of that sale
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    Apples customer service is in a league of its own. I'm not sure how this one go though. In the past they've always been very good with any issues I've had

9. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

I think the only issue they may have is the fact you've opened it.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Like others have stated, you can certainly ask. But being two months past the the return period and it's opened, it seems doubtful. But good luck though.

11. csurfr macrumors 6502a

Apple can look up any serial number for a product and tell you exactly where it was sold originally; I once looked at an iPad Pro on Craigslist which the owner said that it was purchased at Apple. I called them with the Serial and they said within minutes "it was purchased at Wal-Mart.

Point being, they know.

12. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I had a similar situation where I received a 128 GB iPhone 6 as a door prize from my work. Since I already owned an iPhone 6P, I had no use for it. It had been purchased several months prior with a large order of Apple products at our corporate office, so I had no access to the receipt. It was still new in the shrink wrap and when I went into my local Apple store, they were NOT able to determine where it was purchased. (maybe because it was a large corporate order)

I finally spoke with the store manager and he was not willing to trade a brand new, still in the box iPhone, for something else in his store. (I was going to buy two Watches for myself and my wife) He said I would have to sell it some other way. As of today, it is still sitting at home in the shrink wrap... :(

I hope you have better luck than I did, but they seem to frown on returning items without receipts.

TxWatch

13. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

Last summer, I received an iPhone 6 out of warranty. It had a bunch of issues and my Apple Store replaced it with a refurbished for free. I was lucky, but it's possible.

14. recoil80 macrumors 68000

But you received a refurbished unit of the same product. Apple sometimes repairs stuff after the warranty is over for free.
    The OP wants to switch models, give back its 38mm and get the 42mm. I don't think it is possible after the return period is over. You can of course sell the AW and buy a new one.
    I don't know if there is a trade i program for AW like the one they have for iPhone, but you always get a better deal selling the stuff on your own

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple said no.....Apple is tired of cheater.....better sell it online

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Despite being purchased 2 months ago (for which they can check by serial number), I wonder if they can check when it was first switched on or paired ?

17. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

A 38 should fit a big wrist as well as a 42 with the right band, though the presentation is smaller.
    You could bring the watch & packaging to the store and ask to speak with the store manager.
    If they go by the rules missing packaging, outside 14 day window, no receipt, the exchange will be denied.
    Sell it privately and purchase an Apple refurb to offset the costs.
    You said it was a gift so you're already ahead of the game.

18. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Go in crying and begging. Bring a lady friend with you.

You do these, you will get your watch replaced, guaranteed.

19. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

First I was told by a junior rep to take my watch in to Genius Bar. At that appointment the young guy basically said go away, he was unusually curt, but I thought I'd ring Apple anyway.

After talking with Apple on the phone for quite a while, I finally spoke to someone who said they would call the store and discuss with a manager. He called back saying that it was a one off but they're happy to make this exception if the watch was in new condition which it was.

So anyway they didn't give me a case number and told me to speak with a manager once I had arrived as they'd been informed what was going on..

I walked in and asked for a manager who had no idea about the case, but I briefly told him what happened and without hesitation he did the exchange. I was also able to change colour.

I criticise Apple from time to time, which is ok because no company is perfect, but I have never dealt with a company that is as willing to satisfy the customer if a reasonable outcome can be met

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

People always love Apple when they get their way, but when they don't . . . . .

Glad you got it worked out. The kindness of the manager was the key.

21. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Good news, but I wonder if it is standard policy or if they made an exception.

22. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I don't feel like I got one up on them, just that common sense/reasonable-ness prevailed.

Even if I complain hard, I buy harder and this is a reason why :)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    On the phone they were saying it's an exception, but the manager gave me the impression I should have just rolled up and it would have been ok. (I did say I spoke to someone on the phone which may have influenced his haste but it didn't seem critical)

23. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I bet you weren't the first one with that kind of request. It may happen with iPhones, i.e. you don't like the color and want a replacement with another one.

24. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I'm sure it isn't as exceptional as they made out on the phone. Particularly if it's an exchange not a refund

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No doubt an exception. Apple did not have to do it, they did it out of kindness.