Wrong Verizon iPhone4 in box.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScottMcF, Feb 7, 2011.

1. ScottMcF macrumors newbie

Today, got my new Verizon iPhone4. Great, ESN or MEID on the box matched the # on the Customer Receipt... however, those don't match the MEID on the actual iPhone in the sealed box. Nice, it's someone's phone in Chicago (312) area code. I find out after activating the phone and then calling Verizon to try and fix the problem, they can't say I need to return and order a new one.

So much for staying up until 4am pre-ordering this... I put an iReport on CNN, maybe it is happening to other people, a slip up at the factory?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-551997

Scott

2. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

The perils of CDMA, thats why I'll never go that route.

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

ye speaks of the truth of CDMA oh the pain the pain

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Haha...VZ Fail.

Won't they let you make an exchange at a retail store? Or is this now "your problem" from their POV?

5. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Retail stores probably don't have the device yet.:confused:

6. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

How is this any different than programming a SIM card with the wrong number? You just have to call Verizon and have them change it.

7. ScottMcF thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, they said it won't be in store until the 10th

And they can't even send me a new one overnight because it's (not in the system) to order for me, I have to wait until 10th, call them back.

Good thing is phone works, just someone else's number and calling plan.... I hope they have a lot of minutes.

8. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

LOL...if you just give them the device IMEI or ID (or whatever they use), they can't just change it in their system to associate it with your number!?

9. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

It has nothing to do with CDMA. The exact same thing happened to me with my 3GS pre-ordered from Apple. Apple pre-registered the IMEI for the phone in AT&T's system, and for some reason when they do that it becomes locked so that AT&T employees can't change/update it.

I got a phone for someone in New England, and he got mine, we spent three days texting back and forth while trying different things to get it resolved.

My resolution was convincing the manager of the local AT&T corporate store to reset my upgrade eligibility and buy another phone right there, then ship the one I got from Apple back. Apple didn't charge a restocking fee based on what had happened. But for a while I had two 3GS's on my credit card while only one worked.

10. ScottMcF thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I've tried, spoke to multiple departments. It is very different because the MEID number is 'attached' to someone else's account and they keep saying they can't because of terms of conditions and warranty. Seems to me the only way to resolve do the new order and return thing after the 10th and, give me a free upgrade once the iPhone5 is released. ;)

11. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Most likely. This sucked before and I wish you the best of luck getting it resolved.

12. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Yes it does because the problem can be easily taken care of at your local AT&T store, all they will do is give you a new SIM, unlike CDMA which the entire device is attached to an account.

13. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Wrong. Here is the thread from when I had it done before:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=727370

If the IMEI is associated with a specific account, no amount of SIM swapping will fix it.

14. ScottMcF thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Shawn, I agree with you, any new phone can get crossed like this. That is exactly what I'm thinking is the fastest way to resolve this. I have a feeling it won't be easy at the Verizon store in the next few weeks....

What's amazing in the ID in the phone doesn't match the ID on the box. It's not a Customer order / packing issue (shipping box), it's actually the phone to the retail box.

15. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

You're grossly misinformed I can use any iPhone from any account, doesn't matter what IMEI. All I have to do is put my SIM card in and it is now on my account phone.

Stop spreading misinformation :rolleyes:

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You might want to try an Apple Store before the 10th.

17. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Unless that phone was shipped from Apple and hasn't been fully activated yet.

You are the one making things up, I have actual experience, as well as multiple others that I know of during the 3GS launch. Since the phone has to be activated via iTunes, and iTunes looks up the account to register the phone to via its IMEI number, you get screwed.

After activating the phone, the lock on the IMEI to account number is released and you can sim swap all you want.

Apple may not do this with the GSM phones anymore starting with iPhone 4 due to the issues during the 3GS launch, but what the OP is saying is EXACTLY what happened to some of us during that launch.

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

To the OP - man, that sucks.
    I will let you know however if I end up the recipient of your phone...!

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

don't ever speak about something you don't know about.

JD914 is correct, you are not.

20. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

take it to the genius bar. I'd bet Apple stores have these on hand already or call a verizon store and explain to the manager and see if they will hold a phone for you. Though I wouldn't hold my breath. Verizon isn't very customer friendly like that.

And yes, swapping a SIM does fix this. The benefit of CDMA in this case is it's harder to steal someones phone and use it as your own.

21. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Stop applying what is supposed to happen in an ideal circumstance with what happens in the real world with two complex systems (AT&T and Apple) interfacing with each other.

Once again: I have personal experience with this. It did occur. Both AT&T and Apple admitted to it, and eventually admitted that only returning the device and purchasing another would fix it.

22. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

But what we all want to know is... "Can you hear me now?"

23. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

but you're wrong, and you were misinformed. a few of us have tried to correct you, but you keep persisting what they told you. guess what.. AT&T and Apple reps can give you the wrong information, and they did. now stop being so ignorant and thinking you know everything.

24. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't understand the use of the whole activation process at all. With ANY other phone than the iPhone, this is what you do:

1. Purchase phone
    2. Put SIM in phone
    3. Use phone

Then Apple decided that for some unknown reason, it would be better to add a error sensitive activation procedure into the mix that serves absolutely no use at all.

Can anyone explain this to me? Why does a phone need to be activated :confused: ?

The only reason I can think of is that Apple likes to keep tabs on which phones are used by whom. Although I don't know if you need an Apple ID to activate an iPhone...

25. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

because you can go to any AT&T and have your sim replaced on the spot, I doubt Verizon Sales associates would know what to do at this early stage in the game