WSJ on Apple's Video Service: Starz, Showtime, and HBO to Cost $9.99 Per Month, Roku May Gain Apple TV App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal has outlined its expectations for Apple's media event tomorrow at Steve Jobs Theater, where the company is expected to introduce subscription-based services for movies and TV shows, magazines and newspapers, and possibly games. The keynote begins Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time.

[​IMG]

As we've heard previously, the report claims Apple plans to unveil the first footage from some of its new original TV shows at the event. Hollywood stars such as actress Reese Witherspoon and director J.J. Abrams have been invited to attend.

The report claims Apple plans to charge a fee for its original content, despite some sources previously saying it would be free to Apple device owners.

Apple's revamped TV app will make it easier to subscribe to networks such as Starz, Showtime and HBO, with which Apple has been "negotiating to offer their shows to users for $9.99 a month each." It's unclear if that means each network will cost $9.99 per month or if each user will pay $9.99 per month total.

Apple is said to be negotiating to bring its new TV app to multiple platforms, including Roku and smart TVs. This could refer to an expansion of the new iTunes movies and TV shows app coming to Samsung's latest smart TVs to other leading TV brands such as Sony and LG and to cheaper brands such as TCL and Sharp via Roku.

Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio already announced that their latest smart TVs are gaining AirPlay 2 support, enabling users to stream video, audio, photos, and other content directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to the big screen. Apple and Roku are also in advanced discussions about AirPlay 2 support.

Apple is also expected to unveil a revamped News app with an optional premium tier that provides access to more than 200 magazines, including Bon Appétit, People, and Glamour, as well as newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal. The report claims Apple plans to charge $9.99 per month for the service.

[​IMG]

The revamped Apple News app is expected to be based on Texture, the magazine subscription service that Apple acquired last year. The report claims The Washington Post and The New York Times are not participating in the service at launch due to disagreements over Apple's alleged 50-50 revenue split.

The report goes on to mention how Apple CEO Tim Cook began holding monthly meetings with Apple's services division around late 2017 as the company aims to grow its revenue from existing subscription offerings such as Apple Music and iCloud storage.

These meetings are said to include "monitoring of apps that benefit and threaten Apple":
    Apple's video and news subscription offerings will certainly help the company expand its service portfolio further, but its exact plans are still clouded in secrecy. In less than 24 hours, we'll have a better understanding.

Apple will provide a livestream of the event.

Article Link: WSJ on Apple's Video Service: Starz, Showtime, and HBO to Cost $9.99 Per Month, Roku May Gain Apple TV App

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

None of the premium services have shows worth $10 a month - especially Starz.

3. 0958400 Suspended

Oh good! Tim, I can help. This is for your next briefing:

The things that would benefit Apple would be:
    - an optimized, less confusing GUI
    - stable software
    - great hardware (including for pros)

The things that would threaten Apple are:
    - a portfolio that is too big to handle
    - buggy software
    - little innovation
    - bad customer service

Love, an Apple Customer.

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

HBO has a great back catalog and many popular shows that are still airing. Maybe they just don't have shows you like.

5. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Hmm..

I guess I don't see why HBO wouldn't simultaneously offer HBOnow direct to people for $10 (down from $15) and keep 100% of it.

6. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

What we need is an à la carte service based on number of shows. For example, $10/month can access 10 different shows regardless of network (though I'm sure tiers would be needed). I have zero interest in 99% of what I have available to me through conventional subscription services.

7. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Services. Services. Services.

Eddy Cue is now the most important and influential person at Apple and a cert to be the next CEO.

8. britboyj macrumors 6502a

If it's $9.99 for all three that's cheaper than HBO on its own. If it's each? Ehhh.

I'd really like a proper Twitch Apple TV app, but it is what it is.

9. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

What does any of this crap have to do with tomorrow’s keynote?

10. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

The general rule of thumb is "Apple" and "cheaper than...." do not ever go together.

11. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

If Apple bundled their video service, news service, and Apple Music together for $25/month, I’d pay for that. Depending on the video content available of course.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

CmdrLaForge doesn‘t do subscriptions. So no interest for this event.

13. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

This is absolutely crazy. I wouldn't trust that guy to manage a yard sale, let alone a major portion of revenue for the biggest company in the world.

14. unobtainium macrumors 68020

I’d rather just give HBO $10/mo. directly in order to support their programming. Apple always wants such a ridiculous percentage of profits for doing basically nothing.

15. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

i get the impression that it’s $9.99 for each service. It’s still cheaper than subscribing to each individually now though, HBO Now is $14.99/month.

16. adamw macrumors regular

adamw

Apple TV app on my ROKU TV would be a great addition!

17. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Now if they announced a Roku partnership that included an Apple TV app AND Airplay 2 support... that would be amazing news!

But if wishes were horses...

18. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I wonder if these networks would (or have) agree to lower prices to be part of the "bundle" and then get paid based upon actual content viewing time.

i.e. HBO gets paid more than others in the bundle if people are actually watching their content.

That sort of granular tracking seems pretty antithetical to Apple's privacy push though.

19. TechGuy327 macrumors member

TechGuy327

With Starz you can pay annually. The cost is around $72.00.

20. ksav34 macrumors newbie

This doesn't make any sense for HBO. I subscribe to HBO's $15/mo. service, and if I can get the same thing for $10/mo. through Apple, I'm going there. Why would they go 100% of $15/mo./subscriber to a percentage of $10/mo./subscriber? I'd imagine there's a few people in the boat with me on the math.

21. smulji macrumors 6502a

Agree. Worst senior exec Apple has

22. cardfan macrumors 68000

I’m not sure why this warrants an event. Bundling the same old premium channels like hbo? Spending a billion on a few shows? Another failed attempt at a news app? This should be called the dumb and dumber event.

Netflix spends 15 billion a year on content. And apple thinks this is a Netflix killer??

I look for the tv app to get worse. Look for apple to nag you to sub to crap “premium”channels like the cable people do. None of this will make a dent in services revenue while being a loss profit wise.

23. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Sign me up if it’s $9.99/month for all three. But I do suspect Apple will charge $9.99/each. I’ll certainly take advantage of HBO, since as you mentioned, HBO Now is $14.99 /month by itself.

24. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

If it’s 10$ each then Apple is just playing catch up, in fact you can already subscribe to them on an Apple TV through their dedicated apps. No gain there

25. wigby macrumors 68000

No network would ever agree to that because it cultivates zero customer loyalty or brand value for them. Also, it's terrible for customers who want discovery. I suppose if you had access to the first episode of every show as a free trial than that could help but then who wants to manage and juggle shows once you reach the 10 show limit. I'd rather overpay a little for the convenience of just being able to jump between a few new shows instead of the same old 10 shows. Netflix has trained us to simultaneously watch dozens of shows to fit any mood or time constraint we might be in.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2019 ---
    The only ones that thinks Apple is competing with Netflix is Netflix. Everyone else is thinking of this service (based on rumors so far) more like HBO - premium original content that favors quality over quantity. But Apple is also adding News and has so many other services they can bundle, it's also hard to even compare it to HBO.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2019 ---
    HBO is $15. I'm not the only one who will cancel and then resubscribe through Apple's new service on day one.