wtf $200 in tax online store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wakeborder556, Aug 5, 2008.

1. wakeborder556 macrumors regular

How does that work? There are no stores here in Arkansas. Its really going to make it hard to justify the extra price of MBP. Is there anyway to get around this?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is there sales tax in your state? Then there's sales tax in the Apple Store.

3. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Buy through Amazon.... you will not be able to customize, and will have to do with stock configuration, but will will save a lot on tax.

4. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

How much tax you have to pay depends on the tax rate of your state. Apple has no other choices than to charge you those $200. Otherwise it would be tax evasion. And you don't want the IRS on your tail. Not even Al Capone had a chance against the IRS. :eek: ;)

5. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

The IRS has nothing to do with sales tax. :p

You can buy through Amazon, but you won't get the Edu discount.

6. badcrc32 macrumors regular

yes

Order from Amazon! No Tax.

7. mpw Guest

What's that $200 work out as as a percentage? Sales tax appears to be 6% in your state, are you buying more than the standard config.?

8. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Unless you live in NY. Then there's sales tax.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or Kentucky, Tennessee, New Jersey, Washington etc. -- States with Amazon shipping centers and offices.

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Buy from MacMall or MacConnection...they all have $300 rebates going on and some free stuff.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You always pay tax in the apple store but you get free shipping. On a smaller
    purchase it can offset the tax.

With Amazon, as previously stated, you avoid tax and usually get a rebate too!

12. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

If you want to baffle your brains any more, then try this.

In Tennessee, our sales tax is 9.25%. Apple? They charge 12%.

Yeah, thank goodness I've got family across the state line in Mississippi.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Welcome to America.

You could also save sales tax by moving to another country. I hope you enjoy the amenities that their non-sales tax collecting countries provide.

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

How far is the nearest Apple Retail Store in a state with no sales tax? That's one way of doing it.

15. wakeborder556 thread starter macrumors regular

Cute response tdhurst. I've never paid sales tax on online orders...with the only exception being if company was based in same state.

Is the free ipod deal valid through Amazon? My guess is no but any confirmation?

16. zsft macrumors regular

Well if you do that...factor in the cost of gas and depreciation of your car. Take a trip to NH. Actually I should do that since I'm in MA...hmmm...

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

Maybe the company opened a physical presence in the state you are in, therefore requiring that you pay sales tax.

Free iPod deal is only available through Apple.

18. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Ew. Is it this bad in Massachusetts, or does Apple do a flat tax in all states?

19. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

i know the apple store boasts free shipping on orders over 50 dollars, but they charge tax. i bought my mac from the apple store, and didn't pay shipping, but paid 70 dollars in taxes. i would have rather had shipping than pay taxes. i paid enough tax to ship my mac atleast 10 times.

20. wakeborder556 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright well my question has been answered. I am just going to get a MPB from the website and get the free ipod and printer deal. Im excited!!

21. iOrlando macrumors 68000

Legally, apple only has to charge tax in states with brick and moter operations (stores..factories..etc), but they decided just to do it universally across the board. Amazon actually gets a lot of lip from lawmakers since they dont charge tax in most states. Apple has its weird points. For example, students in CT and RI get the 299 ipod rebate taken off at the time of purchase. So not only do you simply not have to pay the 299 but you also dont have to pay sales tax on that amount. Unlike with a rebate where you actually have to pay the 299 and you get taxed on it.

22. Jestered macrumors 6502

Everyone complaining about Apple charging tax... Do you realize that when you purchase something from Amazon, or any other online shop that does not "collect" tax, you are still, by law, required to pay tax on that item if your state charges a sales tax. Because Amazon does not have a physical presence in your state, they are not required to "collect" tax, but you are supposed to still pay it.

If there is an Apple Store in your state, then Apple is required to collect tax even through the online store. If Apple has business agents, or any other type of employees in your state, then they are required to collect tax, even through the online store. And if not, they can still choose to collect tax, which you are supposed to pay regardless of where you get the item. Check your local tax laws people.

23. valvehead macrumors regular

Mine figured out to be 9.36%. I'd like to know what they did with the extra $2.25 :p

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yes, but...

I understand this law, but I've always been frustrated by it, as I've always been told by both Apple Retail and Apple Online that they are two SEPARATE entities (which is why you can't always exchange online purchases at a retail store nor can you have orders shipped from Apple online to a retail store and pick it up).

So what are they, the same or different? If the same, why can't I do the same things with each store? If different, why am I subject to sales tax?

25. wakeborder556 thread starter macrumors regular

This practice is ridiculous i don't want to pay taxes on this laptop. I rather buy it from a authorized retailer in my town and support the local economy but there is no free ipod deal, which ruins it.