Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Lesson learned OP....never, EVER assume someone else is going to do something you should have done yourself.

Remote wipe and call it a day.

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
You guys know it can try to locate itself even if not "connected" right? Otherwise, it's not of much use. If it can see a wifi signal, it just triangulated off of that. You don't need to be directly connected to it.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
You guys know it can try to locate itself even if not "connected" right? Otherwise, it's not of much use. If it can see a wifi signal, it just triangulated off of that. You don't need to be directly connected to it.

Well you do because it can't communicate with iCloud without a data connection.

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
If you had security concerns you should have ensured it was wiped prior, this shouldn't be Apple's responsibility.

The Apple employees have a checklist of things they are supposed to do (per their standard operating procedures) - when they receive a return unit.

One of those things is to wipe the device.

So - actually - it IS one of Apple's responsibilities.

Us wiping products before we take them in is SUPPOSED to be an "abundance of caution" measure - they are SUPPOSED to wipe all returned units at the stores.

EDIT - I understand that we "should" be wiping the devices ourselves - to make sure it's done right (to ease our own minds) - but that in no way means that Apple employees are free to not follow the directions of their employers... Whether the Apple employee forgot or just didn't feel like doing it, he/she didn't fully do their job in taking the return. Again, whether or not it "should" be Apple's responsibility is irrelevant - because it IS Apple's responsibility.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
When I exchanged my 32GB for a 64GB, Best Buy also claimed they would wipe it. While setting up my new iPad, I noticed through find my iPhone, that they had not. I immediately sent the command for a remote wipe. I should've known better.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
That's strange. When I had to get my 4S replaced. Even though I had already wiped it at home. The person asked if I wanted to remove any data before they took it.

I always wipe my devices prior to brining them in though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.