Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
After updating to High Sierra 10.13.4 the dictionary is rather bare; it only shows Wikipedia and has gotten rid of the English dictionary, Apple dictionary, thesaurus, and foreign language tabs:

Z5jcGJz.png

Also: clicking on any links in the dictionary now just opens a tab in your browser, which is super irritating. What's the point of using the dictionary if it just routes you to wikipedia's website?

Not sure why that it is, but it's disappointing since I was rather reliant on that quick and efficient dictionary and used it several times a day.

There's a thread over at the developer forums about this too, and someone said that it might be hinting at a larger upstream update in the future. WHY!??? What about having an English dictionary was killing the OS so much??

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Thanks for this heads' up. I haven't updated from Sierra yet & this is another tick in the "con" column because I use ALL the Dictionary things you mentioned frequently.

:(

Voenix Rising

macrumors member
May 1, 2013
I have all the options on my system—and this was a clean install just a few weeks ago. Maybe reinstall?

EDIT: Sorry...I didn't read. You're on 10.13.4. This is 10.13.3.

dictionary.jpg

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
but is 10.13.4 not a beta at moment?

I have 10.13.2, will do 10.13.3 tonight and on this version it ok.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
We don't use "official" in our titles as there is no official thread on the topic. As such I updated the title

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Sounds like they have some work to do to complete the new upgrade.
Why would they skip over something as basic as this?
Do they release a list of "incomplete" or "undeveloped" apps?
That seems like this is the case here.

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Had the same issue. Until they magically reappeared this morning on my machine. Odd.

trumpetmercenary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
They're saying over in the developer forums that it works if you hold the shift key while you launch the dictionary. But, this doesn't fix it for me. Maybe you need to restart before trying it?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
yeah, i just opened dictionary and got this message: "
Dictionary application needs to download some dictionaries before use.

nice, no need to wait for next beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.