WTF happened to my battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tjespo22, Jul 2, 2009.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

well my battery used to last me all day without a problem and now i took it off charge around 12, and its 3:15 and its at 50%. i make 2 phone calls on it and did no internet browsing or anything on it! should i try to restore it or what? its a 32gb white 3gs btw
    thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Stop complaining about the battery people!
    The number of phone calls don't matter, but rather the length. Talking on 3G wears out your battery much faster than talking on EDGE, so turn off 3G when making long phone calls.

3. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

Stop complaing about people complaining...

50% in 3:15 mins is not normal... even if he talked for pretty much the ENTIRE 3 hours, it should only be at about 50% and i'm guessing since he just said "only made 2 phone calls" that isn't the case

4. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

the phone calls were maybe 5 minutes total. usage 1 hour, 56 min
    standby 2hours 58 min

5. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

Yeah that's not good. What settings do you have?

Make sure brightness is around 40%, and you have location services off.

6. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

try cycling the battery once or twice too to calibrate it - you may just be suffering from calibration issues

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, you know, when someone's phone is broken that IS a good time to complain.

OP - First reset your phone. I'd suggest a restore eventually, but that takes time so just try the reset first and see if that does anything.

Also, check your mail accounts. My wife had this problem earlier this week and she turned off her gmail and it didn't help so then she turned off her work Exchange account and it fixed it. So there was something weird with that one e-mail account. She's going to try re-setting that up later to see if it fixes it, but at the moment she's just leaving it off.

Point is, there's SOMETHING draining power on your phone, keep exploring until you find it.

8. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i only let the battery die one time and it wasnt on purpose and thats when this whole issue started. but before that it was fine. 3g is usually on location services is on and brightness isnt past half

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If that's when it started then Zeeflyboy may have the right idea.

Let it die again and then charge it fully with a wall charger. (Not through a computer hookup.)

10. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

for some reason for the past couple days whenever i go into mail it said send 1 of 1 on the bottom but idk what its trying to send and everytime it would give me an error on how it cant send it bla bla bla so maybe it could be that? i shut off my mail account so well see. the reset i did yesterday didnt help at all.
    thanks guys

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hmm...don't know what it's doing, but it sounds like it's constantly trying to do something non-stop, which could certainly be the problem!

12. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

not sure if it will help, but i usually let mine die completely once a month.

13. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

im attempting to kill the battery now then ill let it charge up to 100 percent

14. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

yeah, I'm not even sure if that helps or not. I've heard different stories. I usually try to do it to most electronics I own, like my laptop, iphone, etc.

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

+1. Trying to send mail over and over and over requires data, so yeah thats probably it. Does this qualify as End User Error? :)

16. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Also try turning off both types of push and rebooting. Cleared this issue up for me and lots of others.

17. TLewis macrumors 65816

18. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

It had to be the mail thing as the problem. I took the phone off at 1 am and it's now 2:30 pm and I'm at 78% witga fair amount of useage