Wtf is with the White vs Black MacBook right now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Earendil, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Just surfed on over to the Apple online store after a friend pointed something out to me.
    The only difference between the top end white MacBook and the Black Macbook right now is the hard drive.

The difference between white and black is $200.
    You can upgrade the white's HD to match the black one for $100.

So you pay $100 for a black painted computer?
    Am I missing an important spec here?

My friend just bought the black one, and just noticed this, feeling a little ripped off.

~Tyler

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Nope, thats about it. The black comes at a premium. Always has and probably always will. This is nothing new.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

This has always been the case, Apple's ways have typically been all-white, and you are paying the extra money to break free from that and get something more original. So yes, that extra money is simply for a different paint color, and this has always been the case with the MacBook.

5. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

I've been around the block, yes. I knew the black ones cost more when looked at part for part. But I thought the black ones were also of a slightly higher speed, or there were things offered on it that were not offered on the whites. Similar to a MacBook vs a MacBook Pro.

Guess I'll tell my friend she just got screwed and paid $100 for black. Oh well, lesson for her to do more research I guess.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't think that she got screwed for her purchase, it is not that hard to look at the numbers and see the difference. She probably thought that she liked the black a lot more than the white and that it was worth the difference in price, so I think that she knew what she was getting, hardly getting screwed for the price right under your nose.

7. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

She didn't get screwed. It's all in how you look at how you spend your money and if you would justify to yourself if the extra money was worth the change of color. If she likes her computer then thats her business. She obviously bought it knowing that it was $100 more.

8. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Well she went to an Apple store in person. And told me before hand (and after) that the color was a toss up.
    Yes, obviously she was willing to pay for it, so it is "worth it" to her.
    She wanted the specs of the black one, that much she knew going in. However I'd thinking the guys at the Apple store would be kind enough to offer up the fact that the White one can be speced the same as the black for less money. I know she had a conversation with them about the entire laptop line up.
    I know, I know, not good business practice for them. Try and sell what brings in the greatest amount of money.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hope you didnt let her have apple upgrade the hd or anything

10. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Er...The specs of each Macbook are listed in literally thousands of places online, and probably a few in the store. To be honest, I don't even work for a computer company, but unless someone asked me what makes the black one better, I probably wouldn't think anything of it if someone came in and said "I'd like the black Macbook." Sure, it'd be nice if companies weren't just in things for the money, but we have to take a little bit of consumer responsibility. Also, are you positive the guy didn't say anything? If she asked for the white one and he said "why don't you get the black one" and she didn't ask why, it's her fault...if she asked for the Black one, he has no reason to ask her why she doesn't downgrade.

11. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

And your entire post can be summed up in the last line of my second to last post (not counting this one). You don't need to try and convince me :)

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Even still, that is not getting screwed over. It would have been getting screwed over if that information was not easily obtained, or if the people in the Apple Store had told her false information. But the information was easily obtained and she could have found that out by doing 5 minutes of research online.

13. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

So my language was a bit harsh. I have otherwise said that I agree with you, so I'm unsure why you are still trying to convince me of anything.
    A student lost $100 when she didn't have to. It's a shame, it's mostly her fault, but it's still a shame, and I'd say she was screwed still, even if she did most of it.

However, you must admit that the way the entire deal is set up, it looks as if the black one is better, and must be better than the white one.
    You wouldn't expect this from a car dealership. The Red one has a better engine in it, but you miss the littler Asterick that says you can get the White one, swap the engines, and get it for less?

I'm pretty sure the business side of Apple knows exactly what they are doing when they set these things up. They are letting consumers believe some basic assumptions. If the color is the only difference, wouldn't it make more sense to have the color be a $100 option on the MacBook line? Probably not, they wouldn't sell as many black MacBooks that way, I guarantee it.

14. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Its not good or bad business practice. It's simply business. ;)

15. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

touche :p

16. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

And the black is totally worth it. I would have no question if I were buying an MB. Every white one I've seen is just so dirty!

17. xianshell macrumors member

It's called marketing geniuses at work :)

The Black MB case probably does cost Apple a little bit more due to smaller quantities. Then there's the HD.

You're right though - you are arguably paying a premium for colour - which most people are willing to do if they want it bad enough!

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I work for a reseller so I know the white MacBook with the upgraded Hard Drive was less expensive - still bought the black one.

19. mchendricks macrumors member

If she wanted/needed the larger hard drive in the black MB instead of the standard one in the white MB AND wanted/needed to walk out of the store with it in hand, then she got what she wanted for the appropriate price. That is not being screwed, that is paying for convenience.

20. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I'm really not trying to convince you of anything. If you understand that Apple is a business, and you understand that Apple is in it to make money...and you understand that she knew she was paying for a colour and did anyways...Why did you post about how she got screwed?

21. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

cause he assumed that by paying more, you are paying for a faster processor or something else, aside for just the color + HDD.. it has always been apple's practice for the next model in pricing to have something the lesser one doesn't.. i.e. something that is not upgradable, a faster processor, a better video card, etc..

all in all its a shady business practice but it's done. apple know's its customer base and know's they are willing to pay more for something as simple as a different color, and they take advantage of it.

Are they getting something for the premium they are paying? yes!
    Are they getting their money's worth when looking at past models/specs? no.

22. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

maybe she's just that kind of girl.... you know, the ones that like black ones:rolleyes:

23. sportsnut macrumors regular

:D

24. illidian macrumors 6502

She lost $100? Because she bought a better computer, with better specs, that she asked for? :rolleyes:

That's like saying that she lost $800 when she could have gotten a PC with similar specs.

25. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The black, for me when I had my MacBook, felt a lot nicer than the White model. Besides the obvious oil/fingerprint marks everywhere, I liked it over the White. It could be a personal preference also, I wear black more than I wear white. go figure.