WTF? Possible HORRIBLE flaw for Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Morisato, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Morisato macrumors member

Hi... I just happened to stumble across something that seems to be horrible for macs. I purchased a MacPro 3.0ghz 8core a while back... maybe 4-10 months back. I originally ordered it without a wireless/wifi card and now I am in need of one. I searched the apple store online and couldn't find it sold separately. I called the apple store, and they told me that they have them but they only work with current models... PLUS I would have to haul my system there for them to install it at the store! WTF is that about?? Why can't I just buy the card separately and pop the sucker in? It's not like it's very hard to insert a PCI card into a PCI slot. So... anyone else run into this issue and found a solution? I'm not really interested in moving my system and paying for installation fees -__-

2. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Horrible flaw? :rolleyes: You should write for the Inq.

Just buy a wired-to-wireless bridge. I'm using a Linksys WET54G with my playstation2 and it works great.

3. Shurran macrumors member

Assuming there are drivers you can pop a PCI or USB wifi card in no problem. The reason they suggest installing it in store is that the Airport cards fits into a much smaller slot on the main board and has the antenna connected to it separately. There's actually no problem in installing the Airport yourself, its just fiddly - google it to find out!

I'm not sure about the current Airport card not being compatible with your gen Pro, but it shouldnt be too hard to find the right one online.

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

Oh. My. God. I had no idea!! I may never buy an Apple product again! :mad:

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

4-10 months????? What the hell does that mean?

because it's not that easy - the airport card is quite intricately placed on the motherboard and there are loads of wires that need to be sorted out.

I really don't think it's too unreasonable to have to HAUL(!) your MP to an Apple store and get it installed properly.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

LOL Oh the horror of it all. :eek:

7. kkachurak macrumors regular

Actually, my local Apple store out here in Orlando had no problem selling me the Airport separately for my 8 core Mac Pro.

They did mention that it was quite complicated though.

8. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Actually, it looks trivially easy for anyone with PC experience:

http://meanderingpassage.com/2007/0...-an-airport-extreme-card-in-an-intel-mac-pro/

Why are you so opposed to Apple allowing people to CHOOSE whether or not they install it themselves? :rolleyes:

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's not a PCI card and the machine doesn't have PCI slots.

10. oban14 macrumors 6502a

It still looks quite easy.

11. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

The part number is MA688Z/A or MA688Z/B for the newer 802.11N part with the N enabler included on CD (not needed for 10.5).

http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/q34844

That one should work as well.

If it seems "scary" to you (it really isn't), stick with a USB or PCIe based solution.

12. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Sure, if your a home user who uses a mac pro to send emails and pictures to grandma and grandpa.

But then, why did u waste so much cash on such a machine for such simple tasks? Most Mac Pro owners (i would hope) rely on their computers. Having to send it in for a day or two is a major inconvenience.

Again, this just proves that apple is not about choice.

13. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Just buy the sucker on eBay and install it yourself. That's what I did when I installed new parts in my Mac Mini (including a new bluetooth antenna). Servicing a Mini is ten times as difficult than a Mac Pro, believe me. :)

--Erwin

14. idyll macrumors 6502

I always wondered why they make it so difficult myself...

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its a mini PCIe wifi card which are also used in the MacBooks. i would much rather have one of these than a PCIe card with an external antenna taking up one of my slots.

this is why the Mac Pro impresses me more and more. but i would never see myself using all of its potential.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: WTF? Possible HORRIBLE flaw for Macs?

I'd think more of a flaw with the Mac user ...

Apple just considers them too clueless to do the upgrade on their own without damaging their computer.

Mini-PCIe card, a couple antennas and a screw.

Definitely something Tim Taylor would screw up, since it requires a hand tool and some dexterity.

17. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

18. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I purchased the card on ebay and installed it myself. Only took about 5 minutes.

19. krye macrumors 68000

krye

20. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I ran into a similar problem when I bought my G5 Quad. I didn't purchase the airport and bluetooth bit and then when I decided I wanted it I found out I had to take it to the Apple store for installation. They ended up having to order the part and I had to take it back again. Now that I have it installed I almost forgot about what a pain it was . . .

21. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Attached Files:

22. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Don't feed it - it will get diarrhea and then start telling us how MACS (sorry - just had to capitalise) suck cus they only have one mouse button etc etc etc.

23. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

what are you talking about?

24. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Thanks
    K

25. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

If you install it yourself, it voids your warranty and you are charged $99 for the apple care.

just warning you.