WTF! Vista 64-Bit Incompatible!!! Please HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uPhone, Oct 15, 2007.

1. uPhone macrumors regular

I just gotta new Vista 64-Bit laptop and I connect my iPhone and I can't do anything. I just wanna put songs on it!

I can access the Digital Photos through the iPhone folder but thats it.

Are there any iTunes alternative?

My only option is to put music thru this computer!

PLEASE HELP!!

THANKS!

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

itunes should work i have windows vista the ultimate edition and my iphone works fine

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is easily accessable knowledge on the Apple website, the best option is to put your music on a friend's PC or Mac without Vista64 and transfer from there...

4. uPhone thread starter macrumors regular

My itunes does work fine. The iPhone doesnt. My iPod Nano works fine on the 64-Bit version. This is Just BS tho. They are promoting the damn Leopard 64-Bit.

5. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

i got vista and my iphone syncs with no issues

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Then I guess its not Vista 64bit, like uPhone has...

7. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Unless something has changed iTunes doesn't support 64bit Windows OS's.

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have iTunes installed on Windows Vista 64 bit. However, the DVD Driver does not work. Also, I have not tried to connect my iPhone since when I first tried it did not work (not sure what that problem was).

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Sounds like nothing has changed. x64 Windows OS's are still not supported.

10. mm1250 macrumors 6502

x64-bit XP and Vista are not supported with the iPhone. You can install iTunes but the iPhone "DRIVERS" will not work in a 64-bit version of windows. I know htis for a fact becuase I had this issue with about a dozen PCs at the office that were running 64bit windows. Your best bet is to downgrade to a 32bit.

11. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I am not very smart about this, and I certainly do not have a 64 bit Vista. But I *think* you can run things in "compatibility" mode. Does that help at all?

(Sorry if that is a stupid idea- just trying to help!)

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I don't think compatability mode helps a whole lot when it's an issue of 32 vs 64.

Many video games, for example, simply won't run on a 64 bit OS no matter what you do.

Compatability mode can be useful for, say, running a Windows 95/98 game on Windows XP.

There may be exceptions obviously, but that is my understanding of it.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Try Virtual PC 2007 (free) and install Windows XP. It is just a temporary solution as eventually Vista 64bit will be more mainstream by next year and be more supported.

14. Jocko macrumors member

If you just got the laptop and haven't got a bunch of stuff on it yet, I'd seriously recommend just biting the bullet and putting 32-bit Vista on there. You'll have WAY less compatibility headaches and you'll most likely enjoy the same or better performance (for a number of reasons).

15. uPhone thread starter macrumors regular

Hp just upgraded my 1Gb Ram turion x2 laptop to a 4GB Ram 2.20 Core 2 Duo w/ vista 64-Bit for free. I heard that 64-Bit is great for 4GB Ram.

The only really advanced programs I use are adobe products. I really don't want to downgrade just for the iPhone.

The computer recognizes the iPhone but iTunes doesn't recognize it. Are there any other programs that transfer songs to the iPhone?

16. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Yeah it's great until the OS prevents you from doing regular every day things like using your phone.

17. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have Vista 64-Bit on my office computer because I need to test one of our products on 64-bit. However, I do not recommend it unless you really need it. As far as RAM, 64-Bit is only need if > 4gb since 32-bit supports up to 4GB.

I have had problems mostly with Drivers and some applications. The iPhone application may just be the first of many applications that you would like to use in the future that will not work. It really depends on how many 3rd party applications you want to use. Even Microsoft OneCare did not work on 64-Bit for a very long time. They recently released Version 2 "Beta" that finally supports 64-Bit. The reason they gave was that there just wasn't that many people on 64-Bit. Kind of a Catch-22.

However, it is more secure/reliable since it more of a closed system.

18. larkost macrumors 6502a

Windows 64bit editions require that 64bit drivers, and so anything that touches hardware needs to have a 64bit driver behind it. Apple has not done the work to create those drivers, and that is not surprising because (as you have already heard) not many customers are using 64bit editions.

The university I work for actively recommends away from 64bit Windows as it is just not stable enough at this point. The only place where we recommend it is if you need the memory space that it provides.

My first thought is: can you do your testing in a virtual environment?

19. SmashCat macrumors newbie

That's untrue - 32bit Windows will only support a maximum of 3GB - the rest is reserved for graphics card mapping etc. In some cases, mine included, it only supports 2GB - it depends on the motherboard. I upgraded to Vista 64 to use all my RAM (having 6GB sitting idle is ridiculous!) I just bought an ipod touch, and as soon as I connected it it popped up a dialogue telling me I had to downgrade to XP or Vista 32. Screw that, I'm returning it now, so Apple can take the hit on it (since I've opened the package they can't re-sell it.)

Apple have always been worse than MS for trying to force people into using their hardware and software - the Windows version of itunes runs slow as hell compared to the Mac version - and believe me, my machine is faster than any Mac Apple currently sell (excluding the dual quad cores.)

Well, I was also going to buy a nice new imac for some relatives at xmas, but from now on, I'm not buying any more Apple kit.

And as for the Mac apologists/employees on here claiming "lots of software doesn't work" and it's all Microsoft's fault - garbage - I can plug most things in and they work fine - Vista 64 has been out for well over a year, I can play all my games, burn DVDs with no problems. In fact I can still play games from 5 years ago. There's no excuse for this, as Apple even have their own 64bit OS which (surprise surprise) does work with the ipod touch. Apple's obvious ploy here is to fool people into thinking it's Windows' fault and hoping people will buy a Mac out of ignorance.

I also own an iMac BTW, but it's a matter of principle. I want to use my PC which runs an operating system that Apple deem compatible.

20. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Not an Apple apologist by any stretch...heck, I'm one of the happy one's running Vista 64-bit with no problems whatsoever. In fact, of all the stuff I use, so far the only incompatibility issue is with the iPhone.

What you need to consider is this.....iPhone's been out for only a few months, and 64-bit Vista users are pretty much a minority's minority at this point. Getting the iPhone up and running, and getting a major OS version released, not to mention how many new iPods, all in that time? Apple's had their hands very well full, and things like getting a 64-bit Vista driver (which involves working with Microsoft on development and certification) aren't going to take precedence for a good long while. I don't fault them for not having a driver at this time, as it's not like they're nVidia or ATI with a much larger number of 64-bit users. Plus, I'd note that Apple has a bias for integration with their own systems (surprise!), so I really wouldn't expect anything from them on this for a good long while.

It'd be nice if they at least acknowledged the issue and mentioned whether they even had an intention of addressing it or not, but I think even that is far too much to hope for.

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

This is totally wrong, sorry. 32 bit XP and Vista can support up to 4GB but you will never see it, max anyone will see is 3.5GB. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/top10.mspx

In regards to 64 bit drivers, you can disable the forced 64bit signed drivers by hitting F8 at boot and selecting this option, then itunes and iphone should work just fine. You used to be able to do this in a command prompt: bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS this would permanently disable forced 64bit driver signing but an update killed this option :/

22. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Someone correct me if I am wrong,
    but I am about 99% sure that M$ has to individually sign ever driver for 64-bit windows.

therefore it is M$'s fault!

although, even if it is Apple's fault, it is also your fault. This was common as soon as the iPhone came out! :rolleyes:

23. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Yes this is true, MS must sign every driver for 64 bit, they do this to keep the 64 bit version as secure as possible, 64 bit in it's very nature is a more secure OS. Your comments make no sense though.

24. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

As a public service announcement everyone should not use 64-bit Windows unless the need to! You will find that it really doesn't provide a performance boost and there are many apps and games that are not compatibility. Do yourself a favor and revert back to 32bit Vista.

25. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Where do you come up with this garbage? I have not had ONE app or game that had an issue with 64bit vista. Unless you have some relic hardware or need to run any 16bit software, it is a non issue.