Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'Wunderlist' for Apple Watch Brings To-Do Lists, Agendas and Reminders to Your Wrist

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Wunderlist has provided a closer look at its Apple Watch companion app, which appeared on the App Store on Thursday ahead of the device's launch next month. The app is designed with a unique Home View that provides access to your most important items first, with four buttons that display a bird's eye view of your to-do lists, agenda and reminders on your wrist.

Wunderlist for Apple Watch delivers a hand-free experience in situations where you might normally use your iPhone, such as while shopping at a supermarket and checking items off your grocery list, or when using smart voice input to add to-dos for an upcoming meeting. The combination of Glances and real-time notifications ensure that you will stay up to date with important things during your day, be it during your morning commute, at the office or at home.
"As you move through the day, you won't even have to open Wunderlist on your Watch to get stuff done. Just take a look at our Glance during breakfast to review your most important to-dos for the day. Thanks to Wunderlist's real-time notifications, a subtle tap on your wrist will let you know what your colleagues are working on during your morning commute, and remind you to pick up the milk on your way home from work."
Wunderlist for Apple Watch features custom animations for interacting with the app, and its developers have carefully considered which font sizes, layouts and interactions would work best with limited screen real estate. The result is a design that was inspired by Wunderlist's brand-new colorful sidebar icons, with the majority of the user interface consisting of white text on a black background.

Ultimately, the developers behind Wunderlist for Apple Watch wanted to create software that gets out of your way, all the while providing multipurpose functionality for managing your day-to-day life. Apple Watch, and by extension the wrist, provides a more natural setting for to-do apps such as Wunderlist and Todoist, so it will be interesting to see how developers build upon these apps in the future.

Wunderlist [Direct Link] is free on the App Store for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch.

Article Link: 'Wunderlist' for Apple Watch Brings To-Do Lists, Agendas and Reminders to Your Wrist

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
This is great. For the smart watch haters, they just don't get it. Phones aren't always the best things to constantly take out. Some things like grocery/to do lists I hate having to take my phone out and unlock it every time. Some things are better just being apart of you.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
This is great. For the smart watch haters, they just don't get it. Phones aren't always the best things to constantly take out. Some things like grocery/to do lists I hate having to take my phone out and unlock it every time. Some things are better just being apart of you.

I agree! Even in the last few weeks its become apparent to me what a pain it is to try and hold my phone in one hand with the list, push a heavy cart with the other, and keep my son from destroying the aisles as we go. (Still working on the best approach for the last one.)

It would be nice to have a list go through on the watch, so I can just clear them as I go.

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
the more I see the apps the more I am inspired to wait for generation 2 or 3 because you know when it can run real apps gen 1 won't be included

pubb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
Paper. Give your son the list and ask him to hold it. Ask him to name the stuff he sees. Let him smell the radishes, green onion and cilantro. Staring at your phone while your son is in the cart is why he's destroying stuff.

P

I agree! Even in the last few weeks its become apparent to me what a pain it is to try and hold my phone in one hand with the list, push a heavy cart with the other, and keep my son from destroying the aisles as we go. (Still working on the best approach for the last one.)

It would be nice to have a list go through on the watch, so I can just clear them as I go.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
the more I see the apps the more I am inspired to wait for generation 2 or 3 because you know when it can run real apps gen 1 won't be included

That's wrong. Real Apple Watch apps will come later this year. Gen 2 Apple Watch will arrive middle next year at the earliest.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Paper. Give your son the list and ask him to hold it. Ask him to name the stuff he sees. Let him smell the radishes, green onion and cilantro. Staring at your phone while your son is in the cart is why he's destroying stuff.

P

Yeah, but then I'd have to be a responsible parent! Who wants that?!
I agree with you though. He's six and I do try to make the trip fun. I have him "help" by picking out a lot of things, and then explain that he can't just live off GoldFish and Lunchables.

Not sure about the paper though. The wife and I cruise pinterest for recipes, then do some copy and pasting to the Notes app, so having it digital makes it pretty handy. :)

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Another insight into why the Watch is more useful in certain situations. When wondering round the supermarket, taking out a phone - especially a larger iPhone 6 - to check your shopping list isn't as convenient as it just being on your wrist.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

The original iPhone was able to run all the 3rd party apps when they were allowed a year later in iOS 2. The Apple Watch should be the same.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Hmmm. Maybe I should buy an Apple Watch for my daughter. Even when I text her a grocery list, she forgets at least one item.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Another insight into why the Watch is more useful in certain situations. When wondering round the supermarket, taking out a phone - especially a larger iPhone 6 - to check your shopping list isn't as convenient as it just being on your wrist.

Maybe it's because I live in the sticks but I have never seen anyone checking a shopping list on a phone. Plenty of irritating people shouting down their phone asking others what they should buy. A piece of paper stuck in the trolley clip seems to work fine for me!

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
The original iPhone was able to run all the 3rd party apps when they were allowed a year later in iOS 2. The Apple Watch should be the same.

yes except the battery will then no longer last a full day I am sure

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.