[WW] - Heroes - Game Over! Good Guys win!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrmjenkins, May 23, 2014.

1. chrmjenkins, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Hi everyone,
    As anticipated in the other thread, I have been mulling running a game based on the idea of superheroes, so here it is.

WW sign up

1. Rick snagwell - last bad guy. last dead guy. Got it?
    2. Moyank24 - dead meow. Good hero though.
    3. abijnk - dead. bad. mmkay?
    4. Twietee
    5. Techgod
    6. Don't Panic - killed in the night, curiosity killed the cat (good hero)
    7. Scepticalscribe - good guy, bad death
    8. Plutonius - lynched. People will write nice lists about him since he was good. I'm sure.
    9. Southern Dad - dead, he weren't no bad guy either. REVIVED!
    10. Tomorrow - bad dude, man. Killed dead now. Good, huh?
    11. Ravenvii - he dead. He was good, I guess? How good can crap be?
    12. Sythas - this wiz kid is done for. He was good though.
    13. WoodNUFC - bad guy, dead guy. Got it?
    14. Queen of Spades - dead good hero, didn't even get a cool power thingy (*sniffle*)
    15. Koodauw - meow meow meow meow (translation: killed by a herd of cats), good hero
    16. -aggie- - C-list fame wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Good guy, but dead.

VOTING RECORD SPREADSHEET: it is linked here and in Don't Panic's sig

NARRATION LINKS:
    DAY 1
    NIGHT 1
    Necromancer Revival
    DAY 2
    NIGHT 2
    DAY 3
    Hunter Kill
    NIGHT 3
    DAY 4
    NIGHT 4
    DAY 5
    NIGHT 5
    DAY 6
    NIGHT 6
    DAY 7
    END GAME

GAME INFOS:

DEADLINES: usually approximately 24 hours, WITH majority lock. Both GG communications or gameplay can affect deadline, so stay tuned. Night will depend on how quickly PMs are sent, but they will also have a (shorter) deadline.

VOTING/POSTING: as usual, please bold votes (“no-vote” is an acceptable option).
    Please do not make any significant edits to posts. Do not erase posts, Do not unbold old votes.
    Please DO vote/participate. Going MIA is NOT an acceptable strategy. If you do so for an extended time, there might be consequences (yes, I do accept excuse notes signed by mom).

In-Game actions: if your power allows it, you can choose to use it publicly. To do so post your action in an ALL-BOLD post, where you describe your action and its target. The action is activated immediately, although the consequences might depend on other actions. For example a time-extension starts immediately and the player needs to indicate the new deadline in the post. An insta-shot is shot immediately, but the success of the kill is determined also by other factors (like protection), so the target is presumed dead, -and should not post- until the kill is confirmed, etc.

Dead players etiquette: usual. limited to 'color' posts, but they should not affect gameplay in any significant way. Please color them in ghost gray and try not to overwhelm the game with them.
    Same is extended to "presumed dead" players (for example if majority-lock or a deadline has been reached, or if you have been insta-shot, then you should behave as if you were dead already).
    keep in mind that due to some of the new roles and their possible interactions, "presumed dead" does not necessarily means "dead"

PMs. Only inquisitors (WWs) can communicate with one another.
    please send all night action PM timely. You CAN pre-send PMs to the GG describing the action.

LINKS TO RULES POSTS:

NARRATION/CHARACTER BACKGROUNDS:

With this game, I would like every player to PM a description of what they want their character's background and/or power to be. You can be as brief or as long-winded as you desire. The point is to get every player involved in the story and their character. I will construct a universe/setting around the types of characters that players want. If you give me no description, I'll make one up as I see fit that makes sense with the setting. I want it to be clear that these powers are separate from the mechanics of the game and are for narrative purposes only. Thus, something like "my character can destroy the universe" is greatly overpowered and will be rejected. Keep in mind that the assigned powers in the game should be the greatest capability of your character.

ROLE DESCRIPTIONS:

Every player in the game will have a special role or ability. Roles are randomly assigned and there are more role types than there are players, so some roles are not guaranteed to be in the game. There are 5 categories of roles.

1. Village Core - These roles are always assigned and exclusive to villagers (good guys)
    2. Village Exclusive - These roles can only be assigned to villagers (good guys) but are not guaranteed to be assigned.
    3. General Pool - These roles can go to villagers (good guys) or werewolves (bad guys). They are not guaranteed to be assigned.
    4. Werewolf Exclusive - These roles can only be assigned to werewolves (bad guys) but are not guaranteed to be assigned.
    5. Werewolf Core - These roles are always assigned and exclusive to werewolves (bad guys)

Roles also have varying frequency, duration and nature (active vs. passive). These qualities are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Here are the types of roles:

1. Active - These roles specify a certain player/role as their target. Example: seer.
    2. Passive - These roles are automatically performed without the player's input. Example: Die-hard.
    3. One-time use - These roles can only be used once. Example: Amplifier
    4. Recurring - These roles are used once every full game day cycle. Example: Guard.
    5. Night-time - These roles can only be used at night. Example: Undertaker
    6. Day-time - These roles can only be used in the daytime. Example: Soother
    7. Anytime - These roles have no time restriction. Example: Leech
    8. Private - These roles are only valid actions when PMed to the GM. Does not apply to passive roles. Example: Smoker.
    9. Dual-nature - These roles can be used publicly or privately. When done publicly, their effect is immediate, if applicable. If performed privately, their effect takes place at the next day/night deadline, if applicable. Does not apply to passive roles. Example: Hunter

There may be roles that have other specific instructions unique to them.

VILLAGE CORE:
    1. Seer - This player can choose one other alive player to scan the role of per night. (Active, Night-time, Recurring, Private)
    2. Guard - This player can choose one alive player to protect from death. This protection extends into the following game day and protects from all types of death except lynching. (Active, Night-time, Recurring, Private)
    3. Undertaker - This player can choose one dead player to scan the role of per night. (Active, Night-time, Recurring, Private)

VILLAGE EXCLUSIVE:
    1. Stalwart - This player is immune to infection from the werewolves. (Passive, One-time use, Anytime)
    2. Thug - This player survives one death via any means but lynching. (Passive, One-time, Anytime)
    3. Hunter - This player chooses one other alive player to kill instantly. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Dual-Nature)
    4. Executioner - This player chooses one other alive player to substitute for the lynching victim that day. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Dual-nature)
    5. Morpher - This player chooses one role from the General Pool they would like to assume. If that role is not assigned, they assume that role. If the role is assigned, the player can choose whether or not to assume the alignment of the other player (without being told what it is). For example, if that player is a villager (good guy), the Morpher is allowed to exchange PMs with that player and is a good player. If that player is a werewolf (bad guy), the Morpher is allowed to exchange PMs with all active werewolves and is a bad player. These choices must be made by the start of Day 2. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Private)

GENERAL POOL:
    1. Reverber - This player can double his or her own vote for lynching. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Dual-nature)
    2. Rioter - This player can double another's lynching vote. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Dual-nature)
    3. Soother - This player can block another's lynching vote. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Dual-nature)
    4. Spy - This player follows the target of a specific night-time use role. Cannot follow the same role in consecutive nights. (Active, Recurring, Night-time, Private)
    5. Oracle - This player can ask 1 yes or no question. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Dual-nature)
    6. Seeker - This player can identify the power being used on a specific player at night. (Active, Recurring, Night-time, Private)
    7. Stretcher - This player can extend the lynching deadline by 8 hours anytime before it occurs. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Dual-nature)
    8. Collapser - This player can shorten the lynching deadline by 8 hours anytime before it occurs. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Dual-nature)
    9. Blocker - This player can block the activity of one player for a day or night-time period. If the player is a werewolf, their kill activity is blocked only if they are the last remaining wolf. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Private)
    10. Amplifier - This player can enhance the potency of one other player's action for a day or night-time period. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Private)
    11. Necromancer - This player can revive one dead player. That player's power status returns to what it was before death. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Private)
    12. Die-hard - This player can survive one lynching attempt. (Passive, One-time use, Day-time)
    13. Judge - This player can save another player from lynching. No player is lynched that day to prevent redundancy with Executioner. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Dual-nature)
    14. Bluff - This player submits a private vote that is different than their public vote. Once enacted, the public vote may not be changed. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Private)
    15. Swapper - This player may swap the powers of any two other players. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Dual-nature)
    16. Leech - This player may steal the power of another player. Power use status is preserved. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Private)
    17. Scavenger - This player may steal the power of a dead player. Power use status is preserved. (Active, One-time use, Day-time, Private)

WEREWOLF EXCLUSIVE:
    1. Smoker - This werewolf may block one other player from any night-time scan activity. (Active, One-time use, Night-time, Private)
    2. Meddler - This werewolf may provide fake scan results for the actions/status of another werewolf at night-time. If the action is a target, a random fake player is chosen. (Active, One-time use, Night-time, Private)
    3. Maniac - This werewolf may choose one extra kill action or override an action protecting their target. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Private)

WEREWOLF CORE:
    1. Alpha - This werewolf may select one other player to convert to a werewolf. Normal protections apply. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Private)
    2. Kamikaze - This werewolf can kill a player of their choosing at the time of their death. Normal protections apply. (Active, One-time use, Anytime, Private)

The werewolves select one player to kill each night as a collective power that is active, recurring, night-time and private.

The werewolf core roles will be in addition to randomly assigned general pool roles.

I will adjust the strength and number of werewolf roles based on the number of players.

ASSIGNMENT ORDER:
    Village Core (all players) -> Werewolf Core + General Pool WW core roles (all players - Village Core) -> WW Exclusive (all players - Village Core - Werewolf Core) -> Villagers [General Pool or Village Exclusive] (all players - Village Core - Werewolf Core - Werewolf Exclusive)

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

hell yes.

def look forward to a superhero game from chrmjenkINs!

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

5. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

6. Don't panic, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Well done, chrmjenkins!

Good job with the rules. Like the updated names and extra roles.

Couple of questions froma quick read
    Alpha: does s/he get an extra power as well?
    Swapper, leech, scavenger, what happens if a ww is it the target? Is alignment affected?
    If infection is "taken" by a good guy, how does it work then?
    Morpher: like the concept but not sure about the 'traitor' part

Will read more carefully over the weekend

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Count me in, as well. Great idea, sounds fascinating.

8. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I think the best thing to do with roles that can swap/steal/assume/etc. is to restrict them to village core. Maybe exceptions when a good player is simply taking a vacant role. That prevents alignment swaps.

For swapper, leech and scavenger, I think they should all probably be one time use and perhaps restricted in scope too. I'll have to think about that.

The idea with the morpher is that they get to choose their power from day one, if they cannot have that power, they can setup a night's watch. I think that's potentially fairly significant, so I wanted to counterbalance with the slight possibility they could screw up and become a bad guy. Personally, I like watching roles where people have to publicly gain information without revealing their intentions/own role.

Alpha will be decided based on number of players. It may stack with another existing power.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I can't have Twietee giving us terrible list again. I'll play so the village has a shot of winning :D.

10. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

dad?

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Darn phone!
    Just took me 15 minutes to write a post and then i erased instead of posting
    Don't have time to rewrite all, but corrected the previous unclear post.
    Essence was that issue with power-taking abilities is when Target is ww, especially alpha
    Also, too many core power for ww allow smoking them out, and maybe morpher acquisition of target's alignement should be automatic rather than a choice

Will post something articulate when i get a normal-screened device, prob tomorrow night or monday

12. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The alignment acquisition IS automatic. The choice to align with that player with no information about them is what is optional. That's why I only give the first day to make the choice.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

yes, son :D ?

16. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Oh you...
    :D

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'd love to play as the Shitman saving the city with fecal matter, but the EM game will probably take up a lot of my forum-time, so you'll have to decide whether you'd have me or not.

Tentative in

18. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I think we need at least a couple more with this format.

19. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

21. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell