[WW] Next Game Discussion and Future Sign-Ups.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by appleguy123, Aug 17, 2011.

?

Which [WW] Game do You Want to Play?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2011.
  1. Original Ravenvii Roles

58.8%
  2. New AppleGuy123 Roles

41.2%
  1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay. I'll add the rules for whichever game you pick. The roles will of course vary based on the interest in this game.

I've also added a poll for which game you want to pick.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Rolls then? Can I have a soft rise yeast roll please? and a Simple game on the side?

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

:D

This is also the time to discuss how you'd like the games run. Not after the game is started.

4. Fuzzypenguin macrumors newbie

Things ran so much smoother back in the old games. But not everyone got a chance to fefend themselves or vote. I'll sleep on it and come back in the morning.

5. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Are you only distinguishing between the roles (simple vs. additional), or also between the types of deadline (majority lock vs. set time)?

I'd like to give the more complex roles another try (e.g. the lovers), but that requires enough people playing. Re deadlines, I much prefer the 24hr day version, even if they end up at awkward times of day for me due to time zones, because then I at least know when to expect stuff to happen...

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't really know how to vote - the terms are pretty nonspecific.

The only thing I didn't like about the old games is the majority lock. It's horrible to have everyone gang up against you when you're not around to defend yourself. Plus it's too difficult to manage randomly changing deadlines with the varying time zones. I much prefer a schedule.

24 hour days and nights would be fine but it would depend on what time they fall on. If it's like you said in the other thread, 6-7pm CST, that is midnight-1am here and I can't do that. Latest I can dedicate to this game is 10pm, London time. (GMT +1 for British Summer time)

That said, I just wanted to register my preference. I don't expect anyone to work around my schedule. I'm taking a bit of a game break and I'll drop in once I see one that fits. :)

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I can't transform into Ravenvii and run the game, iBlue.
    The poll options are do you want the game with the lover and the detectives, or with the seer and the guard.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Hey, I'm just saying the ONLY thing I don't like is the majority locking. All the different roles and various additions are great. I loved your last game, I think it's the most fun I've ever had in a game.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'll play, once we get a game started.

And I prefer the newer rules.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I voted for the newer roles, but don't mind me, I'm probably going to have to sit out the next few games.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm happy to play either game.

However, to reiterate a point I made in the thread of the game before the one that has just finished, I really think the role as currently interpreted needs refining; to have as their gaol the simple fact of mutual survival is not enough to justify the role - even though they are neutral, they don't comment on the game, or have either a positive or negative impact of influence. To my mind, they need to have a stronger reason to exist; if the role is to continue, I'd suggest that it be re-interpreted or re-imagined; we discussed grief in an earlier thread - excluding the surviving lover for a day or so - as he or she is poleaxed with grief and heartbreak.

Re actual times, I'm happier with appleguy's timetable than I was with FuzzyPenguin's. Like iBlue, I'm in western Europe, (the neighbouring isle), and on GMT; appleguy's timetable, where the deadlines are midnight to 1am, I can keep to most of the time. FP's - which kicked in at around 5am for me, were impossible. Fortunately, the game was short enough for this not to matter hugely, but I would have liked to have had the opportunity to have been able to participate in the discussion at the deadline - or close to the deadline - the first day, as there was a possibility that a debate might have changed minds.

Cheers

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I concur. ;)

I, too, like the newer roles. And I'm good with the deadlines as you've listed, but I would be happy to have them earlier if it means more participation at deadline times from our friends across the pond.

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Then why did you vote for a Ravenvii game? :confused:

----------

There Was no majority locking in my last game. I don't know what you mean.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I did? I know I voted last night at work (after a LOOOONG day), but I meant to vote for the new roles.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm okay with trying out some of the other roles you've come up with, but I don't like the Lovers as they are defined now. They add nothing to the overall play of the game and the idea of grief is contrary to the spirit of the game along with the silence effect of the dentist. These games last at most, in game time, 5 - 6 days and the entire point is to encourage participation. In fact, it's a common complaint that people don't participate enough. With that in mind, I just don't understand the point of building into the game something that restricts participation by forcing people to be "silenced" for a period of time. Even if it is just one day, I think it has the potential of being extreme in that it will either greatly affect gameplay by silencing an important character who is talkative or not affect gameplay at all by silencing a player who isn't participating anyway. And to what end? It seems more to me like it's just random chaos being thrown in for the heck of it.

I've got some ideas on how to make some adjustments to the game and I will be willing to host a game with those changes, but I can't do it now as my schedule is full. Maybe next month.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm not at all consumed by the concept of grief - it was just an idea to give some clarity and purpose to the role; my problem with the lovers role is that they really don't actually do anything (except try to help each other survive); to my mind - and remember, Plutonius and I actually played the role - that isn't quite enough. They have to do something in addition to expressing love for one another, so, in their current incarnation, I would really love to see some tweaking if that role is to continue.

Although I voted for the new roles, I'm easy with the old.

Mscriv, I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on the matter.

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

My thoughts on the Lovers or my thoughts on the other game changes I mentioned above?

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I just want it back to where people have to be accountable for their actions. These past two games and certain instances just ruined the fun for me honestly. There used to be a code IMO.

Since we are discussing things I was really surprised at the number of people who didn't think that what happened was a rules violation or anything was wrong with it. That's why I resigned; because I signed up with a different understanding than the rest of you it seemed. I had my idea of right and wrong in the game and therefore when it was brought to my attention that my idea was incorrect I resigned. I wouldn't of signed up to begin with had I known.

19. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

That's what happens when Don't Panic doesn't play. He's always the one who harasses the storyteller with every possible question about loop holes and "what if's" so that we don't get curve balls like that and there's no misunderstandings. I see he voted in the poll so I think he's just busy as opposed to not wanting to play anymore.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I know. I was playing. It was not a criticism, AT ALL, especially as it doesn't even apply. I was only making a general comment to point out that majority locking is one thing about the WW games that I didn't like and wouldn't want making a comeback. There was nothing deeper to my comment.

I didn't know how to vote because I didn't understand what was meant by the two distinctions of yours and ravenvii's games. I'm quite fine with both incarnations, just without the majority locking part.

Ya feel me? :D

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Both, I think.

22. Melkorr macrumors member

The problem is that some of the rules were cut out of the OP somewhere along the line. Even though I wasn't playing at the time I noticed it when different versions of the game was played like the money games where a lot of changes were needed to the OP. Then when we started playing the standard simple and complex games again but those rules weren't added back in.

Last year when we often played 1 simple and 1 complex game at once the rules were clearly defined and jav, ravenvii, Intell, chrmjenkins and appleguy basically used the same OP (with the occasional change) so everyone knew what to expect. The rules and roles were slowly built over time and adjusted game by game to make it balanced and fun experience for all. (Except for Rodimus Prime who seemed to get lynched or killed day 1 every game. :p)

If someone has those old OP's that would help bring back clear game guidelines. The mods delete all the old threads of the WW games so we won't find it here.
    What we need is clear game rules and guidelines then we can play with either the old or new roles.
    Also I think reinstating the jav rule is needed.

I don't like the lovers role at the moment, they are a waste of space IMO. The NW is a better role than them. The kidnapper is a great idea and I'd like to see it used one game.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

One of the things I'd like to see more of in these games is participation. When I first started playing, there would be pages and pages of discussion about players and voting during the day (half of it was wacky math, but I even miss that). Maybe it's the shortened days, the huge amount of new players, or just a smaller amount of players but it seems like there is no discussion any more. And if there is, it's from the same 2 or 3 players. And when someone throws a vote out there, players will pop in and gang vote, and we won't seem them again until the next time they pop in and vote. We've also seen the more active players get targeted a lot more, while those who sit and watch from the sidelines seem to thrive.

This is supposed to be a social game, and the more interaction we have amongst all participants the more we learn and the more fun it is. I know I give Pluto and Don't Panic and Mscriv a lot of flack (all in jest of course) but they get it. And I know we can't force people to participate at the level that some do, but I hope that if we get a sold 15-20 (probably wishful thinking) people we'll see a lot more activity from everyone in the game, not just the same people.

And I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I kind of miss the Priest role. It seems like the first rounds are all about throwing a name or 2 out there and then gang voting. At least with the Priest's question, we had some way to narrow down the initial list and go from there. Even though most of it was arguing about the question, it encouraged participation on the first day. And I feel like if there is solid participation and discussion on the first day it can carry throughout the game. And even though it's still a random vote for the 3 or 4 people on the list I feel like it would encourage people to interact more as they are defending themselves or their votes. And God help me, I even miss the math.

Anyway just a few thoughts. And I'd be thrilled to see some of our old friends like Aggie, and Ravenvii, and Don't Panic join us again.

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

@Melkorr - The old games can all be found in the Wasteland. It's so that we don't have inflated post counts for playing a game which often has a lot of back and forth chatter which is only relevant to the players and the occasional passer-by. Search in the wasteland with the thread starter's names and a bunch will show up in the results.

25. Melkorr macrumors member

Ah, yes. The forum default only shows 2 pages for some reason. :confused: