WWDC 14 days = safe buy?

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
108
1
So, correct me if I'm wrong. WWDC is 14 days away. Say one were to buy a MacBook today/tomorrow. On the 10th we learn about possible new MacBooks. Either they will come out or won't. If they do, old model prices drop.

Say you want the new one, you'd be in the 14 day return policy. Say you don't want the new one, but want the new price drop - still in the 14 days. Say nothing happens, well the you didn't have to wait for nothing.

Yes, this is the thought process of someone who has been waiting for far too long for a new MacBook and has really needed it for over a month.

What do you think?
 
Last edited:

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
608
2
Amsterdam
It's only 14 days. What's the problem with waiting. You know there might be something new (very likely there will) and yet you're purchasing something knowing you will return it. You're basically abusing one of Apple's greatest courtesies to customers that know less.

Just wait.
 

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
108
1
:) Nah, Menge, I'm gonna wait. I've been waiting for 6 weeks now, through some rough weekends when I could have used it for work. I think I can make it for two more. Eh, I'm a stubborn mule anyways.

But with so many people here just going nuts waiting, I can't be the only one who's had that thought. Just wondering about those who have. Personally I'd be afraid something could go wrong, and you'd have some sort of buyers remorse.
 

EddieCurrent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
13
1
It's only 14 days. What's the problem with waiting. You know there might be something new (very likely there will) and yet you're purchasing something knowing you will return it. You're basically abusing one of Apple's greatest courtesies to customers that know less.

Just wait.
Purchasing something you need with only a guess, which is all that even the most informed MR user can muster, and knowing that if something comes out you'll return it is not abusing anything. Apple doesn't pre-announce products to keep from cooling sales. I have known A LOT of less informed people who have bought at an inopportune time and not returned, because they didn't know any better. Just because someone has historical data on Apple's release cycle doesn't hold them to a higher standard.

Now if you did have definite pre-release information and still chose to purchase something just because you didn't want to wait, that would be abuse.
 

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
16,574
3,153
So, correct me if I'm wrong. WWDC is 14 days away. Say one were to buy a MacBook today/tomorrow. On the 10th we learn about possible new MacBooks. Either they will come out or won't. If they do, old model prices drop.

Say you want the new one, you'd be in the 14 day return policy. Say you don't want the new one, but want the new price drop - still in the 14 days. Say nothing happens, well the you didn't have to wait for nothing.

Yes, this is the thought process of someone who has been waiting for far too long for a new MacBook and has really needed it for over a month.

What do you think?
1. There won't be a price drop.

2. Apple may announce new devices available immediately, they may announce new devices available in a months time, they may announce nothing at all. Or at least not what you are looking for.
 

robanybody

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
16
0
:) Nah, Menge, I'm gonna wait. I've been waiting for 6 weeks now, through some rough weekends when I could have used it for work. I think I can make it for two more. Eh, I'm a stubborn mule anyways.

But with so many people here just going nuts waiting, I can't be the only one who's had that thought. Just wondering about those who have. Personally I'd be afraid something could go wrong, and you'd have some sort of buyers remorse.
Only 6 weeks? :) I wanted to change my 2010 MBPro for an MBAir (travelling a lot more now and the weight's getting to be important) since February. But even then all the signs were to hold until June. 4 months wait - and the Osteopaths bills as well :)
 

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
1,449
35
Germany
im in a similar situation to you

been wanting to upgrade my 2010 15" mbp with a non retina current model
im scared that they discontinue the non retina 15" model.
thinking about buying now and then being safe with the 14 days
i know they sell the old ones refurbished but i can get it cheaper with the percentages i get

kinda stuck
 

bigfatipod

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2011
229
87
I know the waiting is awful, but I'd say just hold off...

Keep the cash in a saving account and put the extra two weeks of interest towards an upgraded component :p
 

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
2,385
1
Southern California
1. There won't be a price drop.

2. Apple may announce new devices available immediately, they may announce new devices available in a months time, they may announce nothing at all. Or at least not what you are looking for.
I agree, to which I will ad:

3. They may introduce new models for sale "immediately", yet they may be buggy, or suffer from early issues like the 15" MacBook Pro retina's did with Image Retention (similar to burn-in) & other issues.

4. You know exactly what you are getting with the current models.

YMMV :D