Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I would use the "open in" feature.

Yes, but the problem here is that there is no official standard for this in the OS. The app devs need to create a specific API in order for this to happen. This is why some apps can use "save in DropBox" whereas others cannot.

This is just one of *many* examples of why iOS *absolutely* needs apps to communicate with each other.

w00master

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Wait wait wait... will this WWDC not be streamed live???

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
How do you figure? Currently, if I made a song on my iPad, I have remember which app I made the song in; so, I have go open up Garageband and see if it's there. Then, if it's not, I have go into FL Studio to see if I made it in there. A simpler solution would what I do on my Mac - I have a folder named "Song Demos" that store all my music demos from different apps (which I can have an overview of all my demos in my glance).

Also, if you're working on a project that involves mixed files (a Word Doc, a Photoshop file etc...), you can't group them in iOS & are forced to jump into applications just to view where your files are.

I guess it's not a big deal for people who just use iOS devices to consume media, but if you're creating, it's a drawback.

This situation applies to the 0.000000001% of the population who happens to need iOS devices and multiple apps for media creation which simply cannot be handled by 1 or 2 very disparate apps.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Yes, but the problem here is that there is no official standard for this in the OS. The app devs need to create a specific API in order for this to happen. This is why some apps can use "save in DropBox" whereas others cannot.

This is just one of *many* examples of why iOS *absolutely* needs apps to communicate with each other.

w00master

Yea that's fine. But a user searchable file system is not the answer. Idk what the answer is...let's see what Apple comes up with!

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
its getting kind of old, all of these people saying there will be a new iPhone shown off at WWDC next week,

won't be happening people,
we won't be getting the first beta of the OS till next week, what makes you think that they will showcase a new phone, to run a old OS?
not that iOS 5.1 is old, but really come on guys,

i must say that the new logo looks more mature,
i like it.
much better then the rain drops,

i have no hopes or exportations for iOS 6, if you don't have any then you won't get disapointed

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Yea that's fine. But a user searchable file system is not the answer. Idk what the answer is...let's see what Apple comes up with!

Not necessarily talkin' about a file system. However, apps need to talk to each other. Just a basic example that I was giving :)

w00master

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City

Im thinking iCloud will become the official form of a filesystem in iOS. If your documents etc are in the cloud then any app can access them.

thats nowhere near as efficient as a true filesystem but we shall see.

of course I could also be totally wrong lol

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Although they probably wont, You still can't make that guarantee especially since Apple has streamed live before.

Hope you're right. I'd love it. However, I'm putting money on that they won't. They haven't streamed live in *any* event in almost 10 years.

Hope I'm wrong.

w00master

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I am expecting system wide changes that modernize the grid icon set up and allow for more slick, smooth animations.

The old icon grid system is no longer relevant. It's time for a change!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I am expecting system wide changes that modernize the grid icon set up and allow for more slick, smooth animations.

The old icon grid system is no longer relevant. It's time for a change!

THANK YOU! too bad you'll most likely get downvoted for that opinion

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I do lots of creation in ios and I like the separation o files by app. I know where everything is. Want a pages documents? Open pages. Want a PDF? Open iBooks. Want a music file? Open GarageBand. It hides the "complex" part of computing.

So you're supposed to know which app you created a document for? So, if I had a report, I'm supposed to remember if I used Pages or Word? It makes it more complex to have to remember which app, especially if I want to "Quick Look" my app like on my Mac without have to open/load an app.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
This fall? The iPhone is coming sooner then fall son. July/August at the latest. Last years delay was a fluke.

:)

I disagree. I think Apple is out of iPod/iTunes ideas and officially moved their iPhone event to September.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I disagree. I think Apple is out of iPod/iTunes ideas and officially moved their iPhone event to September.

but would they risk losing all those iphone 4 early adopters that are eligible for a upgrade in july to its competition?

announcing it doesnt mean it needs to come out immediately but it would certainly give those early adopters (like myself) something to be waiting for

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I'm now 100% sure Apple will be unveiling the next iPhone at this event. They just wouldn't talk about iOS 6 without the next generation hardware. I can't wait.

Just like they announced iOS 5 last June and announced the hardware too right at the same time?

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
If the screen of the next iPhone is changing dimensions, wouldn't Apple have to announce it alongside iOS 6?

I think that the beta testers would notice the odd new graphics proportions in iOS6 and the cat would be out of the bag. Unless of course there is a boxed-in mode like iPhone apps on iPad.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
but would they risk losing all those iphone 4 early adopters that are eligible for a upgrade in july to its competition?

Yep, just like the 3GS adopters had to wait a few extra months to get a 4S. Chances are the loyalists will stay with Apple even if they have to wait for a few extra months. There will be some that stray, but nothing to hurt Apple.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010

announcing it doesnt mean it needs to come out immediately but it would certainly give those early adopters (like myself) something to be waiting for

That would be a terrible idea for Apple... If they introduced the iPhone 5 now and set the release date for September, they would kill sales for the iPhone 4/4s for 4 months. They could lose millions. Apple would never do such a thing. Apple would rather you go buy an Android device, than to lose 4 months worth of iPhone 4/4S sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.