Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
WWDC 2002 begins Monday, May 6 2002 in San Jose, California:

Apple's next version of Mac OS X will be previewed at WWDC... with a focus by Apple on future features of Mac OS X.

Rumors of a new mouse and upcoming iBooks have been circulating, but would be an atypical focus of Apple's developer's conference.

Spymac reports having "exclusive" coverage of the event. Historically, Stepwise has provided excellent and details coverage of the event.

We will provide relevant links/news/rumors per usual.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
It looks unlikely that it will be web cast, or atleast it hasn't appeared on apple.com/quicktime or the development site.

Ensign

lucs

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Chicago
any other way of seeing it?

is Tech TV gonna show the conference, by chance? i don't know why i ask, i don't even have cable....

but going back to the rumors, i feel it is unlikely to release a new mouse right now. I don't doubt the release of reved ibooks, or even quicktime 6, but not the mouse...remember when Apple released the optical mouse? it came together with a whole bunch of new designs, like the keyboard. I think a more appropriate time for the release of the mouse would be in MWNY, with the G5, yeah baby, that will be the hottest thing on our little planet dude, and it will wail hard!!!

oh my God i can't wait anymore, i just need a new comp that rocks

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: WWDC Begins...

Originally posted by arn

Rumors of a new mouse and upcoming iBooks have been circulating, but would be an atypical focus of Apple's developer's conference.

That's not entirely true. Last year we got new iBooks, so its not without precedence that we could see some hardware this time around too. I'll be watching closely for the keynote, I hope we get something good.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
No cable? Wow, I would never switch back from my satellite service :)

There seems to be so much speculation on WWDC. So here is my round up.

Fact: Preview of a future release of OS X.

Guesses:
Updated iBooks, probably to a faster G3 or a slow G4.
Possible new mouse.
Something else...

Any time is a great time for iPod.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
May 9th's my birthday! I want a birthday present from Apple. Something cool. Even if it is a couple of days early, it's ok :D

scott_meinzer

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2002
No iBook and Anyone Going?

I think there is no way we will get an ibook, becuase:

1. Say it with me now "Developer"
2. We just got new iBooks in January
3. Every heard of MWSF?

Is anyone going? if there is airport(which there should be) you could use a webcam and stream the confrence out. Or you coulod just send out audio so we get the general idea.

/Scott Meinzer

(Only 496 more post to my avatar)

lucs

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Chicago
ibooks

The only reason why everyone is considering the release of new ibooks is because of that Hiro dude that said all kinds of stuff and most of it turned out to be true. He said we should expect for reved ibooks in the coming weeks, and somehow the "coming weeks" got associated with the WWDC. We do know that Apple may very well pick a random date to release them, like May 9th (for our comrade's delight) or May 8th, that is, my bday and the anniversary of the end of world war 2.

But we are getting off topic here. In a nutshell: ibooks in WWDC, maybe; in some random day, maybe; MWNY, more likely...

Thats my opinion

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: ibooks

Originally posted by lucs
The only reason why everyone is considering the release of new ibooks is because of that Hiro dude that said all kinds of stuff and most of it turned out to be true. He said we should expect for reved ibooks in the coming weeks, and somehow the "coming weeks" got associated with the WWDC.

not totally true.

many feel the ibooks are due or overdue for an upgrade. whether or not hiro had said anything.

there's as many people who think they WON'T come out at wwdc as people who do think they will.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: ibooks

Originally posted by lucs
The only reason why everyone is considering the release of new ibooks is because of that Hiro dude that said all kinds of stuff and most of it turned out to be true. He said we should expect for reved ibooks in the coming weeks, and somehow the "coming weeks" got associated with the WWDC.

Actually... PowerPage did post the brief note regarding iBooks this week... which is presumably a different source than our Hiro.

(you never know though :) )

arn

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
New iBooks could be

Consider these facts:

1. It's the schools' buying season right now
2. iBooks are now lagging behind all the other models (say with me: 500 MHz G3)
3. Apple rearly pushes out more than two models a time. At MWNY we'll probably see updated PowerMacs and iMacs. No room for the iBook.
4. The new lifespan of Apple models is appox. four to five months (according to Apple, thread about it sometime earlier this year)
5. May 7th is my birthday!

My 2 ¢

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
according to the apple wwdc page, the keynote is at 10. and i would guess that's california time.

eastern USA time is gmt -5.

so i think cali is gmt -8...

so.. 6 pm gmt. or 7 pm cet?

i think that's right...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I went looking at the Apple site for all the info on WWDC 2001 which was there a week or so ago. Now it just pushes you to WWDC 2002! This sucks, because it had Jobs Keynote from last year including the new iBooks and some other hardware that I can't remember. Does anyone have a list of things that happened last year at WWDC2001?

Oh, and OSX shipped on every machine, that was another one.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
So I guess in Saudi Arabia I should check back around 9pm, is anybody in the Middle East here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.