WWDC Mac Pro Refresh? 2gb at least?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by volvoben, Jun 5, 2007.

1. volvoben macrumors 6502

I was reading the MBP announcement and realized that it seems odd that all the professional laptops now come with 2gb ram while the mac pro comes with 1. Based on this, I have some hope that the Mac Pro will see a refresh next week, at least with a few changes to the 'base' model:

-2gb ram
    -500gb HDD
    -7800gt or similar base option
    -same MB & processor options, still $2500 @ quad 2.66

I assume these components could be attained by Apple for about the same prices as the current components when first announced. I doubt there will be anything major (motherboards, different chips, ram, case etc) until at least ~leopard.

Does this make sense? Would Apple only update the ram to 2gb to match the MBPs? Would they really keep the flagship Mac at 1gb?

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

ya

if i remember correctly (probly not) the mac pro wasnt updated since wwdc 06, EXCEPT for the 8-core introduction:apple:

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Sounds logical...I forget when the new Stoker-Shewolf (or WETFIC) motherboard chipset is due, but they might wait it out a while if that's not available yet.

Mac Pro users tend to load there rigs up with a lot more than 2GB, so I'm not sure Apple's too worried about the difference in base config specs right now.

4. bossass macrumors regular

Just gimme a bit more bang for my buck and I'll buy.

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

It has become more economical to use 1GB sticks since the Mac Pro introduction, even if Apple wants to keep it low, at some point they have to do it simply because the Dimms are so cheap.

6. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

Haven't seen anything suggesting that a new (non-Conroe) Xeon chipset is due in the short term, which is what I would assume will limit any major changes to the Mac Pro. I doubt that there will be anything major at WWDC. I mean, they could upgrade the GPUs, but why use up space at the keynote for it. My guess it is going to be a whole lot of Leopard, which I am looking forward to.

cheers.

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Chipset aside, price drops are coming on the Xeons: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=305418

Leopard is dandy, but they want to sell Mac Pros to these folks since they are developers and nearly all of them have G5 and Mac Pros. While they may not spend a lot of time I think they will and need to do an upgrade, more than giving quads.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I think they will increase base RAM, and add more video card options at WWDC. Now, I just can't decide to go mac pro, or mbp. :(

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Apple are trying to keep the price of their Mac Pro base models as low as possible, even Bluetooth and Airport are optional extras so I doubt if they will add extra ram.

FJ

10. murfle macrumors regular

I know there will be updates to the Mac Pro at WWDC next week... My reasoning? I just got my Mac Pro on Monday :/

In all seriousness though, I think there will either be a new iMac or a new Mac Pro at WWDC... or both...

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Congrats .... enjoy :)

FJ

12. mavherzog macrumors 6502

I don't much care what comes standard with the base model if the item is upgradeable (RAM and hdd's). If I can BTO more ram and hdd's, then it's not a concern.

What I really want to see newer video card options available.

13. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

In response to your post and Father Jack's.

Cost effiencency will not be and is currently not rested in 512MB dimms, even if Apple gets better pricing it becomes cost ineffecient to to use 512MB DIMMS.

Further, having 1GB DIMMS (2GB most likely) allows you to have more flexible upgrade options, (unless you upgrade with Apple, which is foolish), out of the box you could do 8GB with 1GB DIMMS, whereas most people would take out the 512MB DIMMS which no one will want due to expense and put in what you want.

If you BTO RAM from Apple, which again is foolish, it isn't a concern, however there is no reason the Mac Pro should be at a 1GB considering the price of the 1Gb DIMMs now.

I know I want it, but when you look at it, it just makes sense.

14. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Nah, we're not going to see new Mac Pros until the new Xeon chipset Seaburg is out which isn't due until the second half of this year. Intel hasn't even announced it yet.

Likely there will be new Mac Pros in fall or later.

What we'll probably see at WWDC is new consumer desktops - iMacs, Mac Minis.

I would like to see a new video card option for the Mac Pro though. Heck, the MBP got a new 8600M. It would be nice to see a new 8800 of some variation for the Mac Pro.

15. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

I'm really hoping for the same things as you

- Updated base ram to 2GB
    - Updated GPU
    - Including BT and WLan in Base config

And maybe a reduction of possible CPU options to 3.

from 2.0 dual duo/2.66 dual duo/3.0 dual duo/3.0 dual quad
    to 2.66 dual duo/3.0 dual duo/3.0 dual quad

Streamlining the options a bit

And as the Xeon 5150s costs about half of what they cost when the Mac Pros first were introduced, it doesn't seem that impossible

16. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I'm also hoping for a boost in RAM, and possbily hard drive capacity, at this year's WWDC. I'm thinking of selling my PowerBook for some money towards a Mac Pro and I want it to be fully worth it from the start.

17. dex22 macrumors regular

I only buy high end Macs right after a product update. I like the idea of owning the machine and being able to sell it after a year for 90% of the new value. If I buy near the end of the product cycle, I'll only get maybe 70% of the new value.

I truly do not consider the addition of the octos as a refresh. It was just an addition to the line at the top end for bragging rights.

I know there will be a shift of models down the range, dropping the 2.0 and making the 2.66 quad the new base machine. I know there'll be upgraded video (the 7300GT is simply not competitive in a workstation) and it seems reasonable for base memory will jump to 2GB, and for Apple to still increase or maintain their margins.

18. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I said this in another thread, but it recently came to mind so I figure I would share:

Apple got first dibs on the unannounced 3.0Ghz Quad Xeon chips, I don't think it is out of the question for them to get an unannounced chipset.

Seaburg was supposed to be out 1Q this year so I doubt anyone has any solid timelime for when to expect it not even you. My main post was the part above about the Xeons, I think that is relevant here.

19. jimedit1 macrumors member

It seems from these articles that the imac is not happening for a while... so when jobs referred to desktop enhancements coming to WWDC, last week... perhaps he WAS talking about the Mac Pro after all...

20. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well, with the new MBP that have a 8600 in them, can you say top of the line 8800 :eek: Steve really wants to brag about this, that the Mac can now be used for gaming or whatever with the fastest GPU card available, offcourse with a redesign of the MP you now can put in two of them in SLI. (DROOL) Starts drooling!! (/DROOL)

21. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

According to Intel, Seaburg is to be out 2H of 2007 http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700270

Where did you hear Q1? There are pre-production samples around, but not production versions, as far as I know. Sure there is a chance Apple could have a special (unannounced) deal, but that's reaching... even the unannounced 3.0 chip was "rumored" about before Apple announced it.

edit: Actually Q1 has come and gone already, so it can't be Q1.

22. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

I honestly don't think there is going to be any redesign of the Mac Pro until the new chipsets are available, but could be surprised (the fact that there haven't been even the hint of a rumor doesn't help, either). There's not much point. They added the quad cores because the competition had them, but every thing i've seen suggests that the benefits aren't there because of the chipset limitations. With regards to the comments re: pricing, I'm not sure that Apple will see those same benefits (i.e. we don't know that their pricing reflects those that we see publically from Intel).

cheers.

23. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

SUPPOSED TO were the keywords there, check the huge seaburg thread for links to that.

I don't think it is "reaching" for Apple to have an advance on the chipset regardless of any rumors that do or do not exist, heck me posting that it might come is a rumor, just not a credible one :)

Also, this is the second half of 2007 pretty much. But meh. We will see.

24. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

25. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Uhhh... NO, Apple uses an Intel Xeon chipset which requires FB-DIMMs. Until they change to Seaburg (can't remember what Seaburg uses), they can only use FB-DIMMs.