Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElBerserko

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I agree, however, the Mac Pro was introduced at WWDC in 2006.

The Mac Pro signified the completion of the transition from PowerPC to Intel. It was very relevant for a software developer conference.

Announcements of refreshes to existing product lines is unlikely. The only reason 3G iPhone is a candidate is because firmware 2.0 will be a huge topic and there may be changes to the SDK to take advantage of new iPhone's features.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
A few fact checks:

Lots of hardware has been announced at previous WWDCs. Cinema displays, the G5, the switch to intel and the DTK, etc. No reason to automatically believe there won't be new hardware. That said, the MBP was updated quite recently. That said, they've updated the MBP within two months of release before; no reason they can't again (and if they do, I really hope it'll be in stock when the keynote is over, since I'm planning on getting a replacement for my 2004 PowerBook this summer).

It wasn't publicized much but the 4(3? 5?)00 students who got scholarships last year did not get to see the keynote live because of a lack of seating. In the year prior, some lazy people who paid for their tickets but didn't get in line early complained that they had to be seated in overflow rooms. This pissed the students off to no end (especially those of us who got up early and made the line by 6:45 AM), but I don't imagine it'll change with the entire conference sold out. Also, about the first 1/5-1/4 of the ~6000-seat room is reserved for press, VIPs, and Apple Engineers. So I think it's fair to say that the sold-out number is probably 7000 ± 1000. Going to be a lot of unhappy people come Monday morning. If the students can get into the live keynote via first-come-first-served, I may camp out the night before; there's a Starbucks and a Mel's diner nearby, both open 24/7.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
A few fact checks:

Lots of hardware has been announced at previous WWDCs. Cinema displays, the G5, the switch to intel and the DTK, etc. No reason to automatically believe there won't be new hardware. That said, the MBP was updated quite recently. That said, they've updated the MBP within two months of release before; no reason they can't again (and if they do, I really hope it'll be in stock when the keynote is over, since I'm planning on getting a replacement for my 2004 PowerBook this summer).

It wasn't publicized much but the 4(3? 5?)00 students who got scholarships last year did not get to see the keynote live because of a lack of seating. In the year prior, some lazy people who paid for their tickets but didn't get in line early complained that they had to be seated in overflow rooms. This pissed the students off to no end (especially those of us who got up early and made the line by 6:45 AM), but I don't imagine it'll change with the entire conference sold out. Also, about the first 1/5-1/4 of the ~6000-seat room is reserved for press, VIPs, and Apple Engineers. So I think it's fair to say that the sold-out number is probably 7000 ± 1000. Going to be a lot of unhappy people come Monday morning. If the students can get into the live keynote via first-come-first-served, I may camp out the night before; there's a Starbucks and a Mel's diner nearby, both open 24/7.

Students? "scholarships" meaning Apple lets certain students into WWDC? Or "scholarships" as in Apple gives out real scholarships for E.E./computer science and those recipients get in to WWDC? can you explain...

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I Predict...

That Steve Jobs will come on stage ranting:

"Developers, Developers, Developers...."

I don't think Tech Ed is selling out...

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
How long are the keynotes usually? From experience (i.e. past few years) never over 2 hrs I don't think.

Think about it...realistically...3G iPhone, iTAS, new firmware, that will all take at least an hour to talk about with all the demos and all!

All I can say is I'll be watching MRlive...

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
If the students can get into the live keynote via first-come-first-served, I may camp out the night before; there's a Starbucks and a Mel's diner nearby, both open 24/7.

Yeah, I've heard about the overflow rooms in past years too and I figured that's where we'll end up.

Since our badges are a different color than either the normal attendee or engineer badges, I'm sure we can't get in the normal line to get in the keynote. It would be nice, but I doubt they want to displace what they probably see as "developers in industry" for students with a free ride.

Hey, its still live though, just not in the same room. Oh well.

Students? "scholarships" meaning Apple lets certain students into WWDC? Or "scholarships" as in Apple gives out real scholarships for E.E./computer science and those recipients get in to WWDC? can you explain...

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/students/

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I see ticket for sale on ebay - closing in less than a half hour for 2500 or so.

That doesn't even cover the ticket, adc membership, airfare and hotel I already booked for the trip, so I wouldn't sell my ticket...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.