WWDC update rant

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Warranty Voider, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

The updates at WWDC to the MBPs and MBs were some of the worst ever.

1: Why are the MacBooks now called MacBook Pros? Since when does a "pro" laptop have such a crappy GPU. I have also never seen a "pro" laptop that only has a 13" display. They have merged an entire product line into one big category. Why? They probably did so because they thought it would be a good marketing strategy. This way they can advertise that you can buy a MacBook Pro for only $ 1,200. Now there is nothing to distinguish the "pro" users from the "non-pro" users. I don't know about you, but I feel sort of proud bearing the "pro" name. Now the "pro" name has been diminished into meaning nothing. I know a lot of people that have the unibody style MacBooks, but they are definitely not "pros" so why should the next gen of MacBook buyers be able to bear the "pro" name. I know that it's just a name and that most people won't even care, but consider this: the word "pro" is usually used to say that someone is above average. However, if apple is now making the majority of people a "pro", "pros" are now just average and not above average. So what are the above average pros going to be called now? While apple is making the "non-pro" users feel special by calling them pros, they are also making the actual pro users feel diminished.

2: Apple made a huge mistake when they replaced the Express Card slot with an SD card slot in the 15" MBP. This goes back to the "pro" user. Many pros needs the flexibility of an Express Card slot. The only people that use the Express Card slot aren't the people with 17" MBPs. With Apple's SD card slot you can only do one thing: read and write to SD cards. With an Express Card slot you can use it for an infinite number of things. For example, when USB 3.0 comes out I am going to get an Express Card that allows me to use the new USB version. You can't do that with a SD card reader. Also if apple REALLY wanted to put an SD card slot into a laptop in their pro lineup, they should have conducted a survey to find out who actually uses their Express Card slots. For all they know, maybe the people with 15" laptops use their express card the most and people with 17" laptops almost never use it. In that case, it would be logical to have the SD card slot in the 17" not the 15". They should have at least made an Express Card slot an option for the 15". BTW, for all I know, Apple could have conducted the survey mentioned about and concluded that 15" users don't use their express card, but I am guessing that they didn't. And finally, the new SD card slots don't support the new SDXC. They only support up to SDHC which means that they're limited to 32 GB.

Now for the things I thought Apple did well...

1: The MBPs now have a nicer screen with a better color gamut.
    2: The MBPs now have a longer batter life. Although it is not user replaceable or replaceable on the fly, it makes up for that fact in its extended power. However, I do think that Apple could easily include an option for buyers to choose either a non replaceable batter, or a replaceable battery.
    3: The 15" and 17" MBPs are now a lot cheaper! Only $2,000 for 2.66 GHz!
    4: Up to 8 gigs of ram is now supported in every MBP. However I do think they could add support for the 2.4GHz MBPs if they wanted to.

Ok, that was my rant. I just needed to get it off my shoulders.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I don't think you should be annoyed. As long as it does what you need it to, who cares what the other computers are called.

4. kokesh macrumors regular

Uh, don't you think a corporation like Apple does market research before they design (redesign) a product? Didn't you hear Phil Schiller say that <1% of users make use of the ExpressCard slot? I don't think Apple very often takes a "for all we know..." approach. The SD slot may be a topic of argument or disagreement, but I wouldn't dismiss it as something that Apple just randomly did without considering who would be affected by it.

Congratulations, you understand why everyone else is happy with the WWDC updates. Those 4 points are pretty significant.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

1) The GPU is not a critical factor for many, many professionals. People doing audio recording, people doing video editing, people doing Photoshop work... none of those needs are GPU-reliant. The argument that a Pro machine needs a better GPU is ridiculous, it's simply not the case.

2) Real Pros don't care if their machine says Pro on it or not. They just care that it does the job. Witness all the Pro audio people using plastic MacBooks for their work. If you feel "diminished" by the Pro name being on a "lesser" product, then you need to re-evaluate your life because that's an awfully silly thing to fret about.

Apple did do their market research, and found that <10% of users actually used the ExpressCard slot.

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Ever heard of the 12 inch PowerBook??

7. holidaypf macrumors member

When you look to just one tech company to provide your equipment you are going to make some compromises. If you want a million different options then you have to look at what others invent and manufacture. Perhaps you are upset because you expect Apple to provide all of your needs, while failing to realize that they are just one company doing what they think is best for their bottom-line. Life is full of compromise. I can think of nothing that does not come with varying degrees of good and bad aspects all mixed together. Apple is no exception. When the bad outweighs the good for you, then it is time to move on. :)

8. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

...wow

It's just the name of a laptop, not the person who's using it.

There's always been spoiled 13 year old with 17'' maxed out macbook pros. Did they make you cringe?

If you want a pro laptop then up the specs and quit whining abuot it!:rolleyes:

The purpose of this is to make MacBooks seem higher end to consumers. A potential HP customer sees he/she can get an Apple MacBook Pro for only 1099 w/ student discount, the 'Apple' and the 'Pro' make the little bit of extra money worth the purpose

9. picklesmand macrumors member

hahah. My favorite part of Apple's change to the line-up is that the new 13" MBP is my IDEAL mac. My second favorite part is watching all these losers who buy into marketing hype and overly identify with the NAME on their COMPUTER throw a hissy fit. More, please! :) "crappy GPU" lol.

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

:D

11. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Dude, get over it. Don't buy a new mac if you don't like the new ones. No ExpressCard slot? Who cares, there are great MacBook Pro 15" Unibodies on the refurb store for cheap now.

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Wow. I hope this isn't a drinking game, or else I might as well call 911 before I start drinking.

If you feel diminished because a three letter word is printed on computers it wasn't printed on before, you should probably call 911 too, and ask if they can help you find an identity... you don't seem to have one.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I stopped reading at that point. Why? Not because this is yet another "OMGWTFBBQ" thread, but because the OP is clearly mistaken.

Sorry buddy but the "Pro" line of notebooks is nothing more than a name given to distinguish between features and in no way suggests that only a pro should use one over the other.

Dell uses their names and Apple uses their names. It's a freaking name!

I believe the OP felt some sense of class with his MB PRO and now these lowly little bastards can spend $1500 on a machine (USD) and get a PRO machine!

FYI my truck is top of the line but the badge on the truck doesn't announce that I paid for the top of the line truck. I'm super pissed off because when I roll up to another truck just like mine I know it's not just like mine but the driver next to me thinks we're alike and we're not, I'm better! I paid more clearly that makes me better! He is nothing, he couldn't even afford leather! What a tool! OMG OMG OMG OMG!

It's like that and then some.

14. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I just bought a 13" MacBook Pro!!! We're practically family now!!! :D

15. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Someone recently mentioned this in another thread (and there was similar speculation before WWDC), but the renaming could be due to an upcoming "netbook" or other cheap notebook (or even more models of the white MacBook). So if this speculation is true, we go from

-------------- MacBook ---- MacBook Pro
    to
    MacBook ---------- M a c B o o k P r o

16. picklesmand macrumors member

A+++++ lol

another nail in the coffin of stupid brand elitism.

17. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Hey iMacmatician,
    What kind of mathematician are you? I like your avatar, the Mandlebrot set, I did a couple projects on that bad boy in my undergrad. Beautiful thing isn't it?

18. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Here's another elitist thread. I think they should be merged.

19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I mainly do math olympiad problems.

And the Mandelbrot set truly is nice. I don't do much fractal-related math (besides simply viewing and exploring fractals), but I like it so I chose it as my avatar.

20. myca macrumors 6502

Would this be the same kind of market research that said that the bulk of Apple users loved the glossy display, when those numbers would have been heavily skewed by the fact that their best selling notebook at the time only had a glossy screen option.

Truth is I don't believe one word of Phils 1% jargon, as it seems skewed to make people who need the ExpressCard have no option but to buy the 17" and increase Apples profit, much like their profit will increase with nixing the dedicated GPU on the lower end and using a cheaper CPU with half the L2 Cache.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really nothing to add that hasn't already been said.I do have one question though, do you prefer Pro Warranty Voider or Warranty Voider Pro?

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

They lowered the price. Plus the previous low-end MacBook Pro also had 3 MB L2.

23. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you guys took my rant a little to seriously. I over exaggerated my opinions a little. I don't really care about the whole "pro" name thing. I was simply pointing it out. However I do find it odd that apple would leave just one MacBook. I was expecting them to expand their MacBook lineup.

BTW, maybe I should write a "rant" about all the good things apple did. That people won't respond so negatively. :rolleyes:

24. richard371 macrumors 68000

just got a 13 pro wit the crappy gpu and

and it ROCKs