WWYD? All Upgrader's and Future iPhone Owners.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Indy21, Dec 4, 2008.


What Will You Do?

  1. If Upgraded Version Announced @ MW I Will Get It.

    10 vote(s)
  2. I Am Waiting For Summer WWDC For Any Announcements

    12 vote(s)
  3. Neither. I Could Care Less And Happy With What I have.

    18 vote(s)
  1. Indy21 macrumors 6502

    Mar 24, 2008
    WWYD? (What Would You Do?)

    There is a Decision I am going to have to make shortly after this holiday season and I was just wondering where everyone else stands on the subject.

    I'll try and keep this short and sweet. I've been a T-Mobile customer for quite some time now and my last contract out of the 3 in our family will come to an end this December 20th. My wife knows that I have wanted an iphone since the release of the first one back in 2007 so we have budgeted and I have been granted my wish that this Christmas my present to myself will be an iphone.

    I've already explained to her that I will ATLEAST be waiting until after MacWorldExpo to see what, if anything, new is announced.

    So in all, I've been waiting nearly 2 years now for my contract to end and make the switch and finally get my dream phone. BUT, now I'm wondering if maybe I should wait until this Summer!

    Now before you all go telling me the age old saying's "Yea then you can wait another 6 months and another 6 months and another...and you'll never have anything", I am narrowing it down to either January or July or sometime between MW'09 and WWDC'09 and that's it! I don't think I could possibly wait any longer past July or I may rip my hair out! :p

    What are you Version 1 iphone owners planning on doing?

    Let's just say the iphone 3G with 32gb is announced next month. Are you planning on jumping on that model or are you riding it out another 6 months?

    What about you 3G owners?

    Any plans to immediately upgrade to a 32gb model or you would probably wait until summer to even consider a upgrade since most of you will still be a year or even most under a 1 year contract.

    What it comes down to for me is. The fact that I will have budgeted for one phone, of my choice even if it's $400 or even a little more. I'd kinda hate to go ahead and sign up for a new version OR even the current version for that matter knowing that there may be a good chance of a new"er" model coming in January that will change the game all over again. I can't afford to upgrade a $3-$4-$500 phone every 6 months or even every year.

    If you made it this far, thanks for reading and submitting to my poll! :D

  2. paulsalter macrumors 68000


    Aug 10, 2008
    18 Month contract in the UK so I have no intention of thinking about upgrading until 2010, even then it depend upon what features have been improved on the phone, 32gb although nice, would not be my main change

    Is the size of it the only thing stopping you now, or do you hope for other changes ?

    I have found 16gb to be fine, I just select what music to put on it

    Cant really answer poll as there isnt a valid choice for me
  3. Opie macrumors 6502a


    Jun 17, 2008
    I have the 16g black and if a storage bump is all that MWSF offers I will wait but if Gen 3 comes out this summer I will get one.
  4. ACKRITE macrumors member


    May 11, 2008
    West Hartford, CT
    The size issue is all that's holding me back. I have the money ready to go, and even some accessories pre-purchased. I just want 32gb. I have an unusually large music collection, due to number of CDs/Downloads, and the quality to which I rip them.

    I'm hoping that either SJ announces a 32gb at MWSF for immediate availability (or within a few days) or that at least if it's going to be a future release, mentions a set date (i.e., Feb 3rd).

    I will not be waiting for next summer's "possible" upgrade. Not because it wouldn't be worth the wait, but I've held out long enough. I've been hostage to a WinMobile device for so long that I'm starting to get Stockholm Syndrome for Redmond!
  5. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    heres my opinion on the iphone....it doesnt replace an ipod

    meaning when im out and about, i will try to use my ipod for games, music, etc in order to preserve the phones battery

    also, witht hat said, 16 gigs is more than enough for me and i used to be in the camp of "have to have all the music i have on me at all times" only to realize i didnt listen to a fraction of it. heck even with 16 gigs, i still dont

    so if i were you, id just get one!
  6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 31, 2008
    You already purchased accessories for a phone that does not exist?
  7. ACKRITE macrumors member


    May 11, 2008
    West Hartford, CT
    Accessories that I know (or at least 99% sure) will still be compatible, especially if the LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) to the phone is only a storage upgrade (i.e., 16gb>>>32gb). As in, a wired headset, a bluetooth headset, etc. No cases, docks etc. Thanks for looking out.
  8. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 24, 2008
    Not neccesarily, although if I had my choice I'd probably go for a 32gb over 16gb just for the long run ya know? I don't really care about carrying ALL my music but a LOT of music, A few Movies from time to time, Seasons of shows and of course a boatload of apps. I think 32gb would be suffecient enough for that.

    And do I hope for "other" changes. The iphone as-is I think is a very very nice phone. I would just hate to be dissapointed that I didn't wait just a tad bit longer. I guess it's my fault though, I check several iphone forums on a daily basis and all I keep hearing lately is "I can't wait to see what's coming out this summer", maybe if I just don't read into it and just get one I'll be just as happy. :p

    It does make me a bit on edge though, to think of the possibilities of a new phone come wwdc, I mean, most v.1 owners contracts will be ending around that time so it seems realistic, but let's not let this turn into one of "those" threads now, ok. lol. :D
  9. paulsalter macrumors 68000


    Aug 10, 2008
    If it was me and I had been after getting one since the first came out I would get one straight away (when your current contract expires)

    without going into them (as it would probably end up as a huge discussion), would you be happy with the phone as it is ?

    If thats a yes, then go for it, if a new model does come out fairly soon, the chances are that the software will be available for the current models so you shouldnt miss out too much

    sorry to say it, but it is like you said in first post, when it comes to july you might start thinking, wonder whats going to happen after christmas, shall i wait

    go for it now and enjoy is my suggestion:D
  10. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

    Aug 20, 2008
    My thoughts: I have a 16gig. My music library is roughly 50 gigs. With two movies, podcasts, several app store apps and the jailbreak pieces, etc I only have room for about 6-8 gigs of music. Most people will tell you that's enough. I disagree. I often find myself missing songs that I would like to be listening to at any given time. Not to mention, creating and shuffling playlists is a pain in the butt. The extra 16 gigs would make a world of difference.

    If it were me, I would at least wait for any announcements and then make my decision.
  11. cellocello macrumors 68000


    Jul 31, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Unless I sell my iPhone ... I'm not getting anything until 2010.
  12. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    july is a loooooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggg ways off too
  13. Loonytik macrumors 6502a


    Jun 2, 2008
    Ive got all of my music, all of my podcasts, and all the applications thats I want on my 16GB iphone and I have over 6GB left.

    If there is an update and I am close to being out of space, yes, of course I will upgrade.
  14. nickspohn macrumors 68040


    Jun 9, 2007
    New iPhones will always be released in the summer. I'll always upgrade my iPhone. I would get the new one now without even seeing it.

    There more than likely will be a storage bump at macworld, so I would just wait till then or get a 16gb now. July is 7 months away.
  15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603


    Jun 30, 2008
    I probably wouldn't keep waiting for something better to come out or I'd still have an XP desktop and a crappy Motorola phone. If you want it, buy it. If you like to wait, keep waiting.
  16. mackpro macrumors member


    Feb 1, 2008
    Indiana University
    the thing you have to remember is that iphones will always have a high resale value (until apple begins to offer an unlocked version). so, buying the phone at a discounted price (199 or 299) leaves you with a phone that is worth between 300 and 500 on ebay (for the 8 and 16gb models respectively)

    I know this to be true because when the 3g came out I immediately sold my first gen iphone for more than I paid for it because someone who wanted to use the phone on another network was inclined to pay the extra buck

    point is- if you buy an iphone now.. you will always be able to resell it and buy yourself a newer model whenever it comes out

    all of this of course depends on your ability to sell an item on ebay
  17. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a


    Sep 10, 2007
    On my iPhone
    Until I knew what the upgrades were, I cant say if I would upgrade or not.

    32g or front facing camera for iChat wouldnt be enough to sway me.
  18. mavis macrumors 68040


    Jul 30, 2007
    Tokyo, Japan
    Same here. But 32GB PLUS more RAM, a better battery, and better design (no cheap-looking, glossy plastic) would do the trick. ;)

    Anyway, my wife's account qualifies for an upgrade, so whenever Apple releases a better model, I'll upgrade her account with the new iPhone and then just swap out that one with my white 3G. :D
  19. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 24, 2008
    Yea, I guess what I should asking myself is, if there were a certain feature that's likely to come soon would it be enough for me to really care enough to want it.

    32gb would be great, ok.

    But now the more I think about it. A 3-5mp camera, do I really need that enough to pout over not having it? Or for another example, a front-facing camera, would I actually need and use it? Or do I want it for that "cool" factor?

    I reckon the fact is, no-one really knows what's coming. No-one really even knows for sure that a new version is coming in January.

    So, let's just say the 32gb is announced next month. I think I may go ahead and consider getting this one. Now if absolutely NOTHING is announced pertaining to iphone as far as hardware then I'd say that's a pretty good sign of something possibly coming in summer.

    So, I guess that puts me in this boat, I'm not completely satisfied with the iphone as it is now. It's just not where I want it quite yet. Will a higher capacity phone sway me? I'm still unsure.

    Sorry if this is frustrating. lol.:p
  20. Doju macrumors 68000

    Jun 16, 2008
    I'll sell my 3G and buy the new one. A new camera and design will hold me for awhile longer, but I'm hoping for a lot more.
  21. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 24, 2008
    Ok I wasn't gonna say it but, YES, just about everything you listed would be the definite kicker. I mean in every aspect you noted.

    More space is always good.

    More RAM is a no-brainer and would be great.

    Battery, again no-brainer. I've already decided that I'm budgeting an add on battery pack of some sort because I'm a very heavy user.

    I like the design overall but I completely agree they need to do something about that shell. I've seen too many complaints so far for it not to concern apple in the least.

    And this is a bit picky but I'd like to see that screen expanded just a tad bit more, imho, I think there's a lot more real estate to work with on the current model that isn't being taken advantage of. Someone posted a concept drawing of what the next iphone could look like and it had a nice large(r) looking screen, I liked that. ;)

    Well, since mavis started it, I guess let the flood gates open for wants and needs...lol :p
  22. milani macrumors 68000


    Aug 8, 2008
    I understand where you're coming from. When you think about, it the small things that Apple might improve might not really add up to the cost of upgrading. On the other hand, a few choice improvements might make the difference. Here's something to consider though. Apple might not upgrade the iPhone in January or in the summer.

    Therefore, you should make your decision based on what is available now. If you don't like the iPhone because of capacity, consider if you really need more than 16 GB (consider the battery hardly allows you to enjoy that much content on a daily basis anyway). However, if you don't like the iPhone because of all the features you hope will come in the summer, then don't bother waiting and just buy a different phone.

    Chances are A) there won't be an update this year (aka 2009) period, and B) if there is an update, that Apple won't add all (or any) of the features you're looking for.

    A lot of people have bought the iPhone thinking that all the features they dreamed about would be added overnight. Those are the people who come here and bitch every day about one thing or another, and virtually none of them have been satisfied since the 3G was released. Is it worth buying something you're probably not going to be satisfied with?
  23. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601


    Nov 19, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    My wife and I are hoping to get iPhones if there is a capacity upgrade on or around Macworld 2009. If nothing happens then, I will wait until WWDC or whenever they finally do get upgraded.

    I still have a little over a year left on my Verizon contract, so there's no rush for me. When the next upgrade does come, I will be canceling my Verizon contract and heading over to AT&T.
  24. aross99 macrumors 68000


    Dec 17, 2006
    East Lansing, MI
    I have a 3G and my wife has my old 1G. I purchased both phones when they came out in July 2007 and July 2008. I'm waiting until at least July 2009 before I do anything else, and there would have to be some significant improvement before I would buy a new unit.

    Especially if AT&T won't subsidize the new models until the standard 18-20 months or so into your contract...
  25. tlbwriter macrumors regular

    Nov 21, 2008
    I don't understand this comment. If it's *announced* next month, it probably won't be *released* until July. There won't be any jumping on that model in January.

    I was semi-planning to buy one before Christmas, but have decided to wait and see if anything is announced in January.

Share This Page