iPhone X X is much more slippery than the JB 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigDO, Jan 3, 2018.

1. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Such a pity. Never used cases but this is really not pleasant without one.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Slippery is subjective. It can depend if your hands are dry or moist. I always found the Jet black texture to be grippy, similar to the glass used on the iPhone X. I found the Matte black iPhone 7 to be slippery personally.

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Mine is nekkid and it doesn't seem to be any more slippery than other iPhones to me
    I can see why some prefer a little something to improve the grip at times, but I have never felt the need

4. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

I don't find it slippery in my hand but you need to keep an eye on it on smooth surfaces where it can become a hovercraft.

5. BigDO thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Maybe it's the size. It just keeps wiggling around in my hand. Never had that with the JB 7+ or JB 7, or 8+.

I also found all the matte 6(S)+ models to be slippery.

6. Geert76 macrumors 68000

black leather DBrand skin and the silver iPhone X, very nice combo imho and also gets you good grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That looks sharp.

As for me, I do find the X to be slipperier then my older iPhone SE. Like the SE, I put a case on it, partly to make it more grippier but also for protection. I'm of the opinion that the glass front and back are at risk of breaking if dropped and so I want to protect my expensive phone

8. Geert76 macrumors 68000

yeah, the DBrand skin is either for the brave among us :p or like me, with AppleCare+

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I guess I am a case guy as I have never used an iPhone naked. I prefer a slim/thin case for grip and the occasional scuff. I have been lucky and not dropped and damaged a phone badly, ever.

10. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Yeah, my X is more slippery than a wet eel soaked in Crisco! Meanwhile, my JB 7+ is actually less slippery than a standard Space Grey 7+, almost like it has more surface tension for my fingers to stick to the highly polished aluminum.

11. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

Add a leather case for an extra slippery experience. I find that way more slippery than the acutal phone itself.

Anyways, I'd say the X is slight less grippy than the Jet Black iPhone 7. But still grippy as hell comepared to the aluminium ones (and yes, I know, JB is aluminium too, but you know what I mean).

12. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

My 7 plus is matte black and quite slippery for me. Then again, I've always used a case so no problem.

13. newellj macrumors 604

THIS. ^^^ I kept mine on mute with vibe and it would wander around on tables and the kitchen island. I learned to put it down on higher-friction surfaces. I was afraid it would walk right to the edge and do a lemming onto the floor (which would have been my fault, honestly.)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2018 ---
    Oh my. :eek: Note to self: don't read MR while eating breakfast... :D

14. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

The Crisco is optional.

15. newellj macrumors 604

I feel better already. :p

When I was in high school, almost 8 million years ago, some buddies of mine and I used to fish at a golf course near where we lived (central Connecticut) and we would sometimes catch eels. It was quite the experience. They were incredibly slippery, even without Crisco, and the hook always wound up half way down the thing so there was no way to get the hook out of them. And, if I remember correctly, they were extremely powerful (which I guess makes sense, they're probably all muscle?).

We return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

16. BigDO thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Trying again :D Just can't understand why it's so different to the JB 7(+) - when I grip it in my hand it squirms as opposed to the JB 7(+) which used to keep firm.

17. orev macrumors 6502

The X is glass on front and back, and the glass has an oleophobic coating which is repellant to oil and other similar materials. Your skin has oil on it, so that causes it to be slippery when you hold it. Honestly it's probably a really stupid idea for a phone, at least on the back. Other materials also have oil on them, or are derived from oil, which is why it also slides around on other surfaces like wood tables (usually treated/finished with oil), synthetic fabrics (nylon, polyester, etc... are made from oil), etc...

Glass without such a coating would normally be more grippy than something like brushed aluminum because a smooth surface has more surface area in contact with your hand than an uneven surface like the brushed metal.

18. raqball macrumors 68000

I actually thought my iPhone 7 was more slippery than the X is.

I do have a matte white dbrand skin on my X which helps a little I suppose.

19. orev macrumors 6502

Why would you even bother posting this? Obviously we're not talking about something WITH A CASE ON IT. This is just a useless waste of time post.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

A dbrand skin on the back is a case? LOL

This place really cracks me up sometimes... But speaking of a worthless waste of time response.. View the ones you've made here. Haha

21. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

He offered a solution that didn't require a case.

Lighten up Francis.

22. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I have to say, that skin is really nice. My one grip with my X is the fact that it is slippery. I have dropped my X a handful of times, something I did very rarely on previous iPhone's I owned. I'm definitely going to look into this skin.

23. raqball macrumors 68000

Some people are just angry at the world and lash out at everyone and everything... Before I put the dBrand on, my silver X was less slippery than my iPhone 7. My only real reason for the dbrand skin was because I am OCD and loathe print smudges. The skin really helps with that and it does give a slightly better grip..

24. MarcMller macrumors regular

I dont think the x without a case is that bad. I had the leather apple case on for a few weeks but over the last week or so i took it off and have been rocking it naked. This phone is really gorgeous without a case. Hopefully i'm extra careful.

25. Dario69 macrumors member

Exactly. My 8+ Goes caseless 90% of the time (minus the gym or major trips) and if I had the X nothing would change. I have AppleCare+, the best “case” money can buy as my Apple contacts would say.

I never bought AC before and went naked with all my iPhones but not with this generation. So if I am spending that much on AC I am enjoying the phone as it was meant to be. And the X has to go caseless. The hardware is too fine to keep under wraps. Also the glass back does provide a decent grip, in my situation at least. It does like to slide all over the place though.