iPhone X X now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRTM, Mar 13, 2018.

1. SRTM macrumors regular

So I have a 5 still (!!!) and its starting to get really slow, and the camera is degrading quite a bit. The camera is the main reason I need to move on at this point, I can never take photos without purple artifacts appearing. Replacing the camera is an temporary option I suppose, but i'm not sure how difficult that would be.
    I've been eyeing the X for a while now, and have been holding back mainly because it's a first gen. product. I can stomach the price. The rumours about the XS/XI have been saying the faceID will be improved, and most likely a few other things naturally. Also people on here are saying the X irritates their eyes due to PWM...

So would the next iPhone be worth the wait, as I've already held off this long? I could try to replace my camera in the meantime?

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

5. MarcMller macrumors regular

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would Take advantage of the iPhone X now. I honestly don’t see the 2018 iPhone X been drastically different, aside from the rumored 6.5 iPhone X Plus that is expected to launch, unless you were interested in that size.

7. Slicklx macrumors newbie

The X is a great phone, I say go for it.

8. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

iOS 11 is still getting its sea legs and this, with the 11.3 final closer is about when those perfect storms quite down - new new design and every iOS release is rough, this was more so.

Apple gives you 14 days. And in a year, it’ll still fetch a pretty penny and let you upgrade if the 2.0 looks good. Also iOS 12 is likely to be more mature and refined to better support X. I doubt they had adequate time with various prototypes to test iOS 11 with last summer/fall.

9. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Depends on what you use the phone for.

Right now, the A11 in the iPhone X has a problem with thermal throttling. For example, the 3D Mark scores for iPhone X are below the Pixel 2 and Galaxy S8.

There might be other hardware bugs we're unaware of until later.

We're about 6 months away from the next iPhone and I would suggest waiting.

10. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

OMG it’s time. For you it will be such an upgrade your head might explode. Lol.

But in all seriousness yes it’s a good time to change the next phones will be the same price, the new X may have a smaller notch, who knows, six months is a long time off and you’ve been waiting quite a bit.

In Sept / Oct an X SE will come out for less with LCD screen for less if you don’t want to lay down $1000 now otherwise, no reason to wait.

Let us know what you decided to do when you do it I’m curious. :)

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It is time to upgrade. Hit that BUY button.

12. SRTM thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys, leaning towards getting the X now. Will let you know what I decide.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you want or need a new phone, get one. There is always going to be something coming out soon. And even when the new models arrive, they are already outdated, as Apple is already at work on the next model. The glory of the new model last about 6 months before it starts getting pushed aside for the latest and yet to be seen greatest.
    If you get the X, make sure to have someone drive you home, because your knees are going to buckle and you won't be able to walk much less know which way is up, after seeing, holding, and purchasing the X.

14. SRTM thread starter macrumors regular

Debating if I should get it through my carrier or through Apple. I'm not tied into my carrier (for 2 years?) if I buy it outright off them am I?

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No, you can pay it off anytime or pay in full (after 30 days for most U.S. carriers).

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Are you in the US? If you buy it outright then no contract. Most carriers no longer do contracts though and tie you into them via payment plans for the phone.

If you have an Apple store close buy I'd but fro them as they don't have a restocking fee like the carriers do..

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

OP, I have two lines. My Verizon line (main) has my iPhone X. My second line (T-Mobile) is my iPhone 5c. I am thinking of upgrading the 5c (battery life at 86%) to another iPhone X. :)

Take the plunge.

18. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

I went with my carrier for the X phone to lease and pay off next year.

Went with Apple for AppleCare insurance directly for $200 because carrier insurance is a rip off. The only thing carrier insurance covers is stolen or lost devices that Apple doesn’t cover. Apple is less expensive to fix when something gets broken and I’ve never lost a phone or got it stolen. Plus i’d rather have apple fix my phone then my carrier.

If you plan on just purchasing it out right you might want to go directly through Apple and get one that is unlocked.

If you go through your carrier it will be a locked phone until it is paid off.

Up to you whichever fits your personal needs best. If I had the money I would’ve purchased it directly with Apple and paid it off in one shot unfortunately I’ll have to do that in next year. My carrier gave me a $10 loyalty discount for the phone each month so my payments are $10 less. Apple did not offer that to lease.

19. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

If the camera is the main reason you want to upgrade, you may want to either get the 8/8+ or wait until the next X.
    The flash on the X is right between the 2 camera lenses and has caused problems with red-eye. Maybe Apple will re-think this with the next release. If you don't do much flash photography then this may not be an issue for you.

20. SRTM thread starter macrumors regular

Canada. Think theres an apple store reseller near me, will check them out first.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2018 ---
    Thats a bit of a bummer. I haven't seen many people with that issue. hmmm.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I definitely have heard of the red eye issue on the iPhone X, but I have yet to experience it. I don’t take a lot of flash photography, but you make a valid point how some may or may not notice it. Nonetheless, I don’t know how Apple will address this, as they are likely not going to change the flash position with the camera on the next iPhone X, but will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

OP, here is a thread for those interested in reading on this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/red-eye-iphone-x-problem.2089320/

22. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica

You can find some deals on the X now. I don't see the next one being vastly different unless you want the rumored X+.

23. KavalierMalta macrumors member

KavalierMalta

Go for it. I did the jump also from an iPhone 5 to the iPhone X. The change you will see is incredible. You will not be disappointed.

24. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I would wait because iOS 12 will perform better on the new iPhones this year

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Normally, at this point in the life cycle of the iPhone I might say to wait, but since you are on such an old device I'd advise you buy now unless you want to wait for possibly a product red version.

The problems of the X have been greatly overblown.