Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I need to upgrade my phone. I have the 6+ & 5s (2 sims). I'm torn between the X and 8+
Is it bad decision to grab the 8+ in 2018 considering that it is an old design? I can always wait for the new ones, but for some reason, I don't know if I'll be comfortable without the button...

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I need to upgrade my phone. I have the 6+ & 5s (2 sims). I'm torn between the X and 8+
Is it bad decision to grab the 8+ in 2018 considering that it is an old design? I can always wait for the new ones, but for some reason, I don't know if I'll be comfortable without the button...
Honestly I would buy an X and try it out. You'll have 14 days to use it and all you'll lose is around $35 for a restocking fee if there is one. Yeah you can try it in a store but to get used to the Ui specially with those gestures you'll need to see if you can get used to it.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I don't know if I'll be comfortable without the button...

This was also my concern but after having the X for a while I can tell you there is no way I'd ever go back to a home buttoned iPhone. Gestures are intuitive and it took me about a day to adjust. faceID works for me at about the same rate as touchID and it works with glasses on or off, contact in or out and with sunglasses on or off...

Give the X a go and see unless you don't want to be out the restocking fee that is.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
This was also my concern but after having the X for a while I can tell you there is no way I'd ever go back to a home buttoned iPhone. Gestures are intuitive and it took me about a day to adjust. faceID works for me at about the same rate as touchID and it works with glasses on or off, contact in or out and with sunglasses on or off...

Give the X a go and see unless you don't want to be out the restocking fee that is.
Do you think it'll be worth waiting for the new phones?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Do you think it'll be worth waiting for the new phones?
Not really. You can always argue waiting but Tbh I got my iPhone 6 plus in March of 2015 and was happy with it. Only changed to the iPhone 7 in December of 2016 was because Sprint basically allowed me to get it on a new lease without finishing the other one.

I currently have my Samsung Galaxy note 8 since launch but I would still get it now instead of waiting until September. If you need a phone just get one. Specially with Apple you'll be fine for the life of it unless you're one of those who keeps them until they literally die on you.

Reactions: raqball

cmiller4642

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
The X is worth it IMO for the OLED display, the better form factor, and the fact that it's probably going to be the centerpiece of iOS 12.

If you're going through a carrier then the sticker shock won't be as bad because you'll just be paying a couple more dollars a month.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I’ve gone through a number of iPhone Xs and I’ve come across dust in the camera housing and almost all of them and the ones I didn’t have dust in the camera housing had bad OLED panels with yellowing problems. Thinking I’m about to try the 8 plus.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I’ve gone through a number of iPhone Xs and I’ve come across dust in the camera housing and almost all of them and the ones I didn’t have dust in the camera housing had bad OLED panels with yellowing problems. Thinking I’m about to try the 8 plus.

Wow, really? I am on X #1... No issues at all with mine. Haven't seen many reporting those issues so did you get all the replacements from the same store? Maybe they got a bad lot / batch or something.

Reactions: Closingracer

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It's very hard to go back to LCD panels once you see OLED. Seeing those OLED tvs at work makes me want to buy one but I just bought a Sony TV recently which is nice.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
It's very hard to go back to LCD panels once you see OLED. Seeing those OLED tvs at work makes me want to buy one but I just bought a Sony TV recently which is nice.

Yeah I dig OLED over LCD. I purchased an LG OLED 65" TV last year and absolutely love the thing, other than it's price... LOL

Reactions: Closingracer

cmiller4642

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015

I got an iPhone 8 Plus when I initially switched back from Android (S7 Edge), but I didn't like the LCD display on it.

OLED is the only way to go IMO for anything. I'm hoping they release an OLED iPad soon.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah I dig OLED over LCD. I purchased an LG OLED 65" TV last year and absolutely love the thing, other than it's price... LOL
The new Samsung micro LED tvs looks promising though. Since it's non organic material it should last longer. Might just wait for those or OLED will be mainstream by then.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I got an iPhone 8 Plus when I initially switched back from Android (S7 Edge), but I didn't like the LCD display on it.

OLED is the only way to go IMO for anything. I'm hoping they release an OLED iPad soon.
I actually for some weird reason do like the iPad Pro 10.5 screen over the OLED Samsung tab S3 screen. But yeah I do hope for an OLED Ipad

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
So you spent $5,000 on a TV geeze. No thanks lol. They sell the B7 at Costco for $1,700. Almost in the range of my Sony X900E which is what I'm willing to spend on a TV

My last TV lasted 9 years and was a Pioneer Plasma. It was still working fine when I replaced it with the above but the screen burn in was getting bad, especially at the bottom where news tickers always appear.

5K is nothing if it lasts me that long again..

Apologies to the OP for derailing the thread...

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
My last TV lasted 9 years and was a Pioneer Plasma. It was still working fine when I replaced it with the above but the screen burn in was getting bad, especially at the bottom where news tickers always appear.

5K is nothing if it lasts me that long again..
Meh for me I rather not spend that much on a TV. Don't use it that much to invest that much into a TV

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

My experience has been different in terms of the OLED display on the iPhone X... I feel that it looks dull and quite frankly no different than their LCD displays. It could be just me but if you were to put an iPhone 8+ LCD display and an OLED display from the iPhone X in front of me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. When Apple announced OLED displays were coming I was quite excited because I thought we were going to get brilliant looking displays that pop like the samsung and LG phones, but alas I was quite dissapointed

That being said though everything else about the iPhone X is wonderful and to answer the OP's question I would definitely go with the X, I find that the previous style phones with home button look and feel very antiquated after getting used to the X

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
I went 8+ initially because I was used to the larger screen AND size and I liked the dimensions of the plus over the X.
However, I found my eye wandering and when I had a reason to switch (was with AT&T and they weren't fixing service issues in my area so I switched to Verizon), I ended up picking up a X. ZERO regrets.
My 8+ was a great phone, but it just felt like a "new" 6S+ (which I had before my 8+). It's great for someone who can get it at a discount (I sold mine to a friend and she ended up with a good deal and I got money toward my X) or who isn't ready for the smaller screen or who might want better battery life.

The Face ID worries that I had have proven unfounded and I don't miss the home button at all.
Phone is a great size, screen is great, controls work flawlessly. I'm not mad I went 8+ to start with, but I realize now...The X is the phone I wanted all along.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I recommend you read this thread if you're having doubts.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/eye-strain-while-using-iphone-x.2085427/

I can't look at an iPhone X screen for any amount of time without it giving me flicker induced eye stain. And once your eyes get sensitive to it, if they do, (from staring at the screen for a while) the pain is triggered almost the instant you start looking at it.

In my opinion, for me personally, the OLED screen implementation on the iPhone X is a disaster and the worst screen Apple has ever used. The X is unusable for me.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I recommend you read this thread if you're having doubts.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/eye-strain-while-using-iphone-x.2085427/

I can't look at an iPhone X screen for any amount of time without it giving me flicker induced eye stain. And once your eyes get sensitive to it, if they do, (from staring at the screen for a while) the pain is triggered almost the instant you start looking at it.

In my opinion, for me personally, the OLED screen implementation on the iPhone X is a disaster and the worst screen Apple has ever used. The X is unusable for me.

have you tried turning on true tone? this might help as it gives the display a warmer more subdued tone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.