Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

so

• yes

Votes: 60 13.0%
  • no

Votes: 402 87.0%

• Total voters

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
No, not at all. I usually prefer the smaller size, so when it came time to upgrade my 6s, and the X had the larger screen in just about the same form factor, that was a win. I'm still not sold on the big push to make phones even bigger.

Reactions: svepo

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I wouldn't feel hosed at all (although i DID return my X), but Id really prefer a slightly WIDER size, not simply taller with the same width. The size of the X is nice, but the shape isn't not preferable for me from a content consumption standpoint.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Unless someone put a gun to your head and forced you to shell out $1000+ to buy an iPhone X this year against your will, you have absolutely no standing to feel 'hosed' about what comes out next year. Stupid poll.

Reactions: Moi Ici

coreymac784

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2015
I love my X. Coming from a 7 Plus, I honestly am not sure how manageable an X+ will be with one hand. Aside from some width difference, the X screen is close to the current plus size screen. Swiping the control center requires some phone maneuvering now, I cannot imagine one handed use on a screen the size of the current plus without the top and bottom bezels.

Mr. Y

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I use AT&T Next, so if there was a complete redesign and it was comparable in price, I would trade in my current X for the new one. However, if they keep jacking up the price, I think I have reached my threshold and will keep the X -- it's pretty swank for what it is, so I wouldn't mind having it another year to own.
[doublepost=1510948619][/doublepost]Also, I cannot imagine holding a larger full-sized screen. It's the perfect width for one-handed use (although, I will concede if it were a (few) millimeter(s) wider I wouldn't blink much), but anything taller than the current height would be hard to start one-handed reaching notifications and control center.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Not at all. One should expect yearly upgrades to be better. I'll be getting the X+ anyways and selling the X, but even if i wasn't, i wouldn't be bothered.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Nope, since once I make my 12 payments I can either turn the phone back into my carrier and get the X+ or just pay it off and sell it my self. Its way easier then ever to upgrade every year then ever before.

nameischarles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
I love my iPhone X and I would definitely be getting the bigger version of it next year if Apple releases one. Not sure why people keep saying it’s to big for one hand use, the only time I use one hand is if I’m scrolling or watching media content but regardless what size of iPhone I’m always using two hands for typing.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
I love my iPhone X and I would definitely be getting the bigger version of it next year if Apple releases one. Not sure why people keep saying it’s to big for one hand use, the only time I use one hand is if I’m scrolling or watching media content but regardless what size of iPhone I’m always using two hands for typing.

Because lots of people do use and type one handed. I come from a 5s where it was easy to do everything one handed. With the X it is manageable for me without using reachability or using a right (or left) handed keyboard, but easier if I do.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
This is an interesting question, but purely subjective. You could just as well poll users "were you disappointed that the store was out of chocolate ice cream, but might have more tomorrow". If you went to the store for chocolate today, then you may be disappointed. If you wanted strawberry and they had strawberry, then you're probably not disappointed.

Personally: I went from a 7+ to a X.
There are some features I miss from the 7+: landscape mode for the home screen and settings, no notch & rounded corners eating up parts of full screen videos, swipe up for control center, etc.

There are some aggravation of the 7+ I do not miss: the phone doesn't poke me in the hip when I bend over to tie my shoes, I can type easily with 1 hand without sliding the keyboard to one side, etc.

There many things I really like about the X: the hardware is very fast, FaceID is surprisingly accurate and fast, the overall form factor is easier to use one handed, swiping up for the home screen actually feels pretty good and natural, and all of the typical yearly improvements (camera, memory, etc).

There are things I dislike about the X but they're almost all software and could change: swiping down for control center from the right corner, I'd like the option for FaceID to unlock to the home screen without swiping up, reachability can be hit/miss, FaceID does not work with my sunglasses.

Would I want an X Plus? No. I think it would provide most of the benefits of the X, a small number of the benefits of the 7+, and a LOT of the aggravations I had about the 7+. But that's just my answer and I'm not disappointed because I like strawberry.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Nope. The Plus size existed because they couldn't make a 5+ inch screen without those huge bezels in 2014. And they milked this compromised design for 4 years.

Now I can have a big screen without the bulk. I still stick to the current iPhone X form factor for quite some time.

The Plus sized iPhone is always just a little bit too wide to hold.

Kent01

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Massachusetts
Most of the hardcore crowd will sell their X and get the latest and greatest iPhone that Apple has to offer - when the time comes.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Nope don’t even really like plus size phones. Waiting on my x to come in the mail. Hoping I can get myself to keep it for a couple years.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
poll time!

also would you be hosed by a design change of the X (as part of conversation/not the poll)

Why would I feel hosed? I would only feel hosed if they released a new model mid cycle, but we're all used to the yearly cycle. I can't wait for a X-plus, especially if it turns out to be 6.5" as rumored.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I honestly don't understand why in the hell a plus model X is wanted or needed. I don't understand why anyone would pay more for a larger screen and slightly bigger battery. The benefit is nonexistent, and there's nothing they have right now to make the plus model different than the X. They have the top of the line camera in the X, so what's the point of paying 1500 for a larger screen?

Honestly, I want this rumor to die. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I honestly don't understand why in the hell a plus model X is wanted or needed. I don't understand why anyone would pay more for a larger screen and slightly bigger battery. The benefit is nonexistent, and there's nothing they have right now to make the plus model different than the X. They have the top of the line camera in the X, so what's the point of paying 1500 for a larger screen?

Considering that Ming Kuo has already predicted that Apple will launch a 6.5 OLED iPhone, you might want accept this rumor being a reality eventually next year in 2018. It Only makes sense that Apple is going to expand into a larger size iPhone to create more diversity in the iPhone X lineup.

That said, the iPhone X is a great size device, but it does feel slightly small to me. I personally like larger displays, not necessarily larger phones. I think the iPhone X Plus will meet that median for me in terms of what I am looking for. As for what somebody will pay for a device, is subjective and based on what their preferences are.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
poll time!

also would you be hosed by a design change of the X (as part of conversation/not the poll)
A larger sized X will still only appeal to those who can handle the larger form factor.

Bigger screen will be tempting, but practicality will be the main (sensible) decision maker.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Not at all. It's going to be more than £1150, like £1300.

It's now. Lots of people update each year. So does not impact them at all. If you like large phones, don't but the X

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
No. It was clear from the beginning the marketing cucks at Apple was planning to release the plus next year anyway. If they released it this year, people wouldn’t upgrade for 2-3 years.
They didn’t have enough screens to do both. People upgrade every year.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

why though? alot like bigger screens. Is it a must have? maybe not if you have an ipad and macbook but when on the go it's useful when you need the bigger screen and as people get older the bigger the screen the better.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No chance, I found the plus form factor to be just too big. Those types of phones didn't fit in my pants pocket, especially when I wanted to sit down. I was always seemingly accommodating its bulky size. That is getting into my car, taking the phone out of my pocket and placing it somewhere. The current iPhone X gives me a screen size that's near the size of the plus but in a form factor that's pretty close to that of a non-plus phone. I fell I'm getting the best of both worlds.

Reactions: DiveKitty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.