Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lord e55ex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Ive searched high and low... has anyone upgraded from an X to a XS and not regretted it?

I know I will get trolled, but all I see is ‘X to XR’, ‘XR to XS Max’ and ‘8 to XS’ etc.... I’m just assuming everyone bypassed this model..

Reactions: BluefinTuna

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Why would you regret it? If you have the money, do whatever you want with it.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I think the general consensus from what I've read is that it isn't much of an upgrade. Is there any advantage of the Xs over the X that would make it worth it to you, based on your own usage? That's the real question here, only you'd know that.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
Ive searched high and low... has anyone upgraded from an X to a XS and not regretted it?

I know I will get trolled, but all I see is ‘X to XR’, ‘XR to XS Max’ and ‘8 to XS’ etc.... I’m just assuming everyone bypassed this model..
I've done it only because my parents get my old phones and it's part of our rotational cycle. I honestly don't see a difference in performance for day to day use. Battery, screen, performance, I honestly can't tell.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I did, I got a used XS right at launch for 300.00 off the price so that's what made upgrading to me easy. I wasn't even going to bother, didn't preorder for the first time in my iPhone buying history. Now will you notice a ton of new things between the two devices. Nah, extremely small stuff. The quickness of the device is noticeable depending on what you are doing, but not mind-blowing. Camera is a little faster but again depends on what type of photos you're taking. Overall I'm glad I upgraded... just means I don't need to upgrade for another 2 or 3 years. So if you get a good deal on a used device or maybe a new one depending on a carrier deal and you are certain you don't care about devices released in September this year.. go for it. Otherwise I'd say if you like to upgrade yearly and are still with your X.. just wait till September. This opens you up for more options. Get the XS at an even better price at that time because a new phone is released or buy whatever Apple announces. Of course the downside is waiting, not having a new toy to play with now and of course depreciation value of your X.

Reactions: lord e55ex

MDePew24

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Ballwin, MO

I made that jump and am please with the move. The X was good but the Xs is better and I was able to do it in my situation.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Although on paper, the XS is better than the X, each user's experience can vary. There's been enough lemon XS models with connectivity issues to be wary of spinning the roulette wheel and trading in your X you know works perfectly good for an XS that might be a lemon.
Getting a flawless iPhone is a gamble. I say stick with what you've got since the XS won't be significantly better than the X.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I tried the Xs and had connectivity issues. I decided to return it and just keep my X. I had the Xs for about 4 days, but really, there is no big difference in the two as far as I could tell.

When it was connected, i didn't find the speeds any better than my X. Maybe the camera is better, but I am pretty basic when it comes to photo's I take on my phone. For me, the X is just as good as the Xs

Reactions: JamiLynee

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I did it and have no regrets. I'm the iPhone upgrade program so it's not a big deal for me to upgrade. The camera is nice but to be 100% honest it feels like my iPhone X with day to day usage.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I switched my iPhone X over the iPhone Xs and I do not regret it at all. I liked the evolution in camera quality too much! Mainly by Smart HDR. It's fantastic! The quality of the video stabilization is excellent too! Evolved a lot! My old iPhone X is with my girlfriend, so I can compare the two side by side and easily notice the evolution of the câmera in photos and vídeos.

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I went from the X to the XS Max simply for the bigger screen size. Other than that I really don't see a reason to go from the X to the XS unless you're a tech nerd and want the latest specs.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado

Me. X to XS. LOVE IT. Add Smart Battery Case makes XS the perfect phone.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Honestly I’m really jelly of that GOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDD.

But no matter how bad I want to I just can’t upgrade for a color.

I know it has the better camera and a few new bells and whistles like more ram which is nice but I would be lying if I said I cared about that stuff. My iPhone X works pretty much flawless!

Cladster

Suspended
Feb 7, 2019

It's worth it for FID2, works way better, was rubbish on X from my experience.
[doublepost=1552514043][/doublepost]
Me. X to XS. LOVE IT. Add Smart Battery Case makes XS the perfect phone.

lol for $20 less than that combination here could of got a Xs Max.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
It's worth it for FID2, works way better, was rubbish on X from my experience.
[doublepost=1552514043][/doublepost]

lol for $20 less than that combination here could of got a Xs Max.
Not everyone wants to deal with the size of the Max. It's simply too big for some people.

Reactions: MisterSavage

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I had an iPhone X, and felt it was the 'perfect size'. Prior, my perfect size was a Note 8/9, but, wanted the device just a tad smaller, and without a pen. I never used the thing.

As soon as the iPhone Xs Max was available for purchase, I purchased one. I have loved the size of it ever since.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ive searched high and low... has anyone upgraded from an X to a XS and not regretted it?.

Because the XS doesn’t really offer any real tangible differences to the average consumer from the 5.8 X to the 5.8 XS, unless someone is upgrading to the Max with a larger display. There are some technical specifications that the XS has advantages over the X, but probably not enough to warrant an upgrade for the majority.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Honestly I’m really jelly of that GOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDD.

But no matter how bad I want to I just can’t upgrade for a color.

I know it has the better camera and a few new bells and whistles like more ram which is nice but I would be lying if I said I cared about that stuff. My iPhone X works pretty much flawless!

I know that you are. I was also, but not anymore. Because I went and bought XS Max, even though I promised myself I will keep the X and wait for 2019 iPhones.

This way, I will wait for 2020 iPhones (I can't say this with a straight face).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.