Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone X X vs Xr

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
Good summary, but I’d add one item to the XR list above: superior (main) camera. Of course the X will be better whenever zoom is necessary (as you noted), but I think generally, most people take more photos with the wide-angle lens. The XR’s camera has the larger sensor, and the A12 supports Smart HDR - which is pretty impressive in action.
Ehhh I keep seeing people saying zoom, but let’s be real when you start using the zoom when taking photos you’re reducing the picture quality. I really wouldn’t think of zoom as a pro
[doublepost=1542998379][/doublepost]
X hands down! It’s not even a question. Take both in your hands at night and watch a video. No comparison! Different strokes for different folks but the display on the XR is absolutely unacceptable at that price point IMHO.
The display in the XR is fine, especially if he’s coming up from a 6, 7 or 8 there’s no obvious difference

Comment

BLBL

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2018
How huge difference in photo quality between X and XR in real life? There seems to be so many different reviews out there, even between XS and XR in some of them XR has been getting more points, how that is even possible?

Comment

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
How huge difference in photo quality between X and XR in real life? There seems to be so many different reviews out there, even between XS and XR in some of them XR has been getting more points, how that is even possible?

The Xr has only one lens, the wide angle f1.8 which is what it uses for portrait mode.

The Xs cameras uses the telephoto lens that’s f2.4 for portrait mode. f1.8 lets in more light thus giving better low light photos.

Also compared with the X, the Xr gives you the ability to change aperture after the photo is taken and smart hdr. It’s really cool. The Xr also has a larger camera sensor than the X. If photos are important to you, the clear winner are the new Xr/Xs phones over the X

Comment

BLBL

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2018
I have understood that wide angle lens typically used in phone cameras cause barrel distortion to portraits. So isn't even old X superior to XR in that regard due to telephoto lens? Is sensor size larger in telephoto lens in XS than X, or is it just wide angle lens that has larger sensor?

Comment

1rottenapple

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2004
Coming from using the xs on a trip the pictures are terrific. XR will be the same. The AI computational photography is game changing. And the screen is tougher on the XR vs X.

Comment

MilaM

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Interesting discussion. I have the same decision to make (X vs Xr).

After Xr was annouced I though it would be the right upgrade from the 7 for me. But today I had the chance to actually hold the Xr in my hands at an Apple Store and to compare it to the form factor of the Xs. In direct comparison the Xr feels really clunky to me and the bezel is also quite large. OLED also looks much nicer than LED.

Since I'm not willing to spend 1149 EUR on the Xs, I will likely order the X from last year. It's available from several 3rd party retailers for around 870 EUR new.

I'm really curious how long the X will be available through 3rd party channels. Apparently Apple thought it would be a bad idea to keep it available since the difference between X and Xs is so small. But if rumors are true, Apple started producing the X model again.
[doublepost=1543087877][/doublepost]Than again, dual SIM is a really sweet feature.

Reactions: BluefinTuna
Comment

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
Interesting discussion. I have the same decision to make (X vs Xr).

After Xr was annouced I though it would be the right upgrade from the 7 for me. But today I had the chance to actually hold the Xr in my hands at an Apple Store and to compare it to the form factor of the Xs. In direct comparison the Xr feels really clunky to me and the bezel is also quite large. OLED also looks much nicer than LED.

Since I'm not willing to spend 1149 EUR on the Xs, I will likely order the X from last year. It's available from several 3rd party retailers for around 870 EUR new.

I'm really curious how long the X will be available through 3rd party channels. Apparently Apple thought it would be a bad idea to keep it available since the difference between X and Xs is so small. But if rumors are true, Apple started producing the X model again.
[doublepost=1543087877][/doublepost]Than again, dual SIM is a really sweet feature.
I will never get over people coming from a 6, 7 or 8 saying the bezels in the XR are too large. I just have to laugh lol.

Comment

MilaM

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
It's not just the bezels. The size of Xs/X is just a better fit for my hands.

And actually the bezel on the Xr is wider compared to the 7. I'm talking about the space on the sides. Those matter because you have to reach over them with your thumb to actually reach the touchable part of the screen.

Comment

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
It's not just the bezels. The size of Xs/X is just a better fit for my hands.

And actually the bezel on the Xr is wider compared to the 7. I'm talking about the space on the sides. Those matter because you have to reach over them with your thumb to actually reach the touchable part of the screen.
I can understand the size factor, but really the side bezels are oh so big it’s oh soooo much more that you have to reach over. It makes soooo much more of a difference. Please stop, you sound ridiculous

Comment

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
XR seems the better deal

Even though X has a better display, more premium feel etc, the Display on the XR is absolutely fine and fantastic

The thing for me is you get the newer phone with 128GB for same price. Go with that.

Comment

Alaxlmartin

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2018
X hands down! It’s not even a question. Take both in your hands at night and watch a video. No comparison! Different strokes for different folks but the display on the XR is absolutely unacceptable at that price point IMHO.

XR should be a 500 max phone with that s—t display. +models have better displays

Comment

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Went with the X and have zero regrets. Display is major for me, more so than SoC and Camera. Battery life has been really good for me. And its nice to have a pocket-able phone with a decent size screen.

Comment

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Ehhh I keep seeing people saying zoom, but let’s be real when you start using the zoom when taking photos you’re reducing the picture quality. I really wouldn’t think of zoom as a pro

Err, no. If you're using a zoom lens (like the 2nd lens on the X) - then you don't reduce picture quality when you zoom in. Optical zoom suffers no loss in quality. Now, if you're using digital zoom (your only choice on the XR, which has no zoom lens) - then, yes, you're definitely hurting quality by zooming in. As a pro, I imagine you'd understand this.

That said - it's a concession I'm willing to make. If I had a zoom lens, surely I'd use it, at least sometimes. But I can live without it.

Comment

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
Err, no. If you're using a zoom lens (like the 2nd lens on the X) - then you don't reduce picture quality when you zoom in. Optical zoom suffers no loss in quality. Now, if you're using digital zoom (your only choice on the XR, which has no zoom lens) - then, yes, you're definitely hurting quality by zooming in. As a pro, I imagine you'd understand this.

That said - it's a concession I'm willing to make. If I had a zoom lens, surely I'd use it, at least sometimes. But I can live without it.
I know the difference between optical and digital zoom. That said using the optical zoom still took away from the photo quality. There’s only so much you can get from a cellphone camera and that’s my opinion based off of photos I’ve taken where I zoomed in.

Comment

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Went with the X and have zero regrets. Display is major for me, more so than SoC and Camera. Battery life has been really good for me. And its nice to have a pocket-able phone with a decent size screen.

Thinking of going for this too as XR is just a little bit too big and I do like 3d touch but am still undecided.

On O2 UK there is a good deal on X but only till next week (around £615). Airtime unfortunately is high cost as this is how they make their money but I could then pay off early and get a cheaper sim only deal next year. Not sure whether to go for it or get XR on Apple program as monthly cost would be about the same. Or just wait for the good deals coming as Apple are reputedly not selling as many as they had hoped ...

Comment

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
There’s only so much you can get from a cellphone camera and that’s my opinion based off of photos I’ve taken where I zoomed in.

I agree with the bolded. Serious photographers aren't going to be snapping pics with an iPhone. That said, these phone cameras are impressive. It's amazing what can be done with such a tiny lens/sensor package.

Reactions: Relentless Power
Comment

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
Same dilemma too! I mainly play games and would like to take some photos. Can you please recommend me X or XR? XR has better battery but the screen is not so great as X. However, I don't know if the games support the full resolution of X. If I have an old game or a new game that it hasn't supported at all, how it looks in XR display? Thanks!

Comment

xealo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
I was a long time Android user, came from a Pixel 2 XL to the XR. The last iPhone that I had was the 6 Plus. I hated it(massive waste of space with it's bezels, bendgate, and it's paltry 1GB of ram) and promptly got rid of it 2 months(got it on release) after getting it.

This phone, though not a flagship in many eyes, does everything right for me. It nails down the fundamentals and that's why I bought it after seeing the reviews that touted the attributes that I was most interested in. Regardless of what people are saying about some of it's flaws or missing certain features, Apple made a fantastic phone in the XR. Love the color, the size, the not too small or too big storage option(128GB), the single camera, wireless charging, and best of all...

Dat phenomenal battery life. The other night, 6+ hours of SoT when I laid it down for the night. 33% still left in the tank. And that's with location services, bluetooth, longer screen timeout time, etc, etc turned out.

Comment

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
iPhone 8 is the better choice. Enough said.

"Enough said?" So that's it? We can't discuss it any further because your informative post constitutes The Definitive Answer? Thanks for letting us know!
[doublepost=1543812046][/doublepost]
I know the difference between optical and digital zoom. That said using the optical zoom still took away from the photo quality. There’s only so much you can get from a cellphone camera and that’s my opinion based off of photos I’ve taken where I zoomed in.

The problem with the optical zoom/second lens on the Xs is that it is a slower lens than the main lens. So in low light the phone will tend to use the digital zoom of the main lens anyway. Credit: testing done by #MKBHD.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.