XBLA Toy Soldiers!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by StruckANerve, Mar 9, 2010.

1. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

If anyone has some MS points to burn I highly recommend this game. It is an Action Strategy game based around the old army men toys. It is a lot like a Tower Defense type game with Real Time elements thrown in. I've only played a few of the campaign levels but so far it is a lot of fun.

2. Bimbalbamble macrumors member

3. kelvicharlie macrumors newbie

I have not played this game but seen the video.This game looks great and fun game.This game me reminds me of the toy type game from he dreamcast (toy commander ) crossed with company of heores.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I just happened to notice this game on XBL Marketplace and downloaded the trial version. Animations are cool, first impressions are positive. :)

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I was going to purchase it but thought it might get repetitive quickly. Does it?

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Well.. do you like tower defense games?

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The game is about $15 maybe a tad less, 1200 MS points. We've been playing. It really is fun. Repetitive? hmm, no more than any RTS game. Place units, strengths and weaknesses, personally control a unit or let the A.I. do it. Nice original concept for a game setting. Thumbs up!

8. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I just started working on the solo campaign. Although I don't have the level names, the first two levels were difficult for me on "normal".

TSAR Tank- 1st level. You need to have four Level 2 artillery pounders located at the 4 pads farthest away from your toy box that overlook the field from where the assaults come from. And all most all of the small pads down the lane need to be occupied by L2 mortars. Why? Because your pounders will get the health of the tank down to about 50% and once it hits the lane, your pounders won't be able to shoot it any more. This includes a couple of large pads on the lane, the two-three closest pads to the toy box are worthless as artillery because they don't swivel far enough to the right. And this is why you need mortars pounding it. I barely got it in time. Also you can start with chemical units on the two corners of the field, but when the Tsar Tank appears, and finally gets to the lane, at some point those can be sold along with other anti-personnel units, all replaced with mortars. Just be cautious because infantry units will pour forth at times and you have to be careful that not too many of them reach your toy box or you'll lose for that too. :)

One of the first things you have to figure out is what is the swivel range of placed artillery. Some maps have large pads but the location and swivel range makes them next to worthless.

The second level is an air assault level where you start out with only one AA gun and 5 trifolkers launch and try to bomb the heck out of it. The really bad thing is that because it sits out in front and is exposed, there is also enemy artillery hitting it. After 3 failed attempts to defend this unit with constant repairs (that add up), I decided at the very beginning of the fight to sell it and move it farther back towards my toybox. This made the level relatively easy especially when you get the AA upgraded. I placed artillery where the AA used to be and killed the enemy artillery. The rest of the level was fairly easy.

10. StruckANerve thread starter macrumors 6502

You can make the artillery guns swivel. I can't exactly remember how right now and I am at work so I can't check. I think you have to use the dpad when the gun is highlighted. If you don't figure it out before I can check I will post on how it works.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Why didn't I know that?? ;) To be sure we are on the same page, I'm talking about making them swivel more than about 120°. On the map I'm speaking of, the artillery down the lane can't point directly up the lane to hit the Tsar tank. Unless there is a way to unlock them? Thanks I'll see if I can get that figured out. It would make one heck of a difference in that level. :)

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Found a blurb about using the L/R Bumpers to position artillery. Have not tried that yet. Now I need to figure out how to beat the Rail Gun. I was so preoccupied with stuff coming at me, that I did not even see it the first time encountered... :)

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ok, bumpers work for positioning artillery. Now anyone know of any good walk through or tactics site for dealing with Toy Soldiers bosses? Thanks!

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

You've already found it out... Bumpers! being able to position the cone of fire of your upgraded artillery is what enables you to take down the bosses. I didn't realise until late on in the game I could shift fire, and I wouldn't have been able to taken down some of the Zsar tanks otherwise.

However, the level with the train-canon-boss requires multiple bombing runs...

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Regarding the Rail Gun Boss, I'm a terrible pilot in this game. I'm occupying all large pads with L3 artillery and some L3 mortars, but that does not seem enough. And it seems like you have to use a tank to stop those cars that come down the tracks and then you are supposed to fly to? :eek: A walkthrough or strategy guide for this level would be nice.