Xbox 360 dead. Should I trade my PS3 for another 360?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by M. Malone, Mar 13, 2009.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I wanted to know what you all thought about this.

My Xbox 360 has been getting the red lights and is dead beyond repair.

I have a PS3 I haven't give much attention to lately, I use to, but I got sick of some games lagging and freezing, I guess since then there have been updates to fix that.

At the moment, I have an offer to trade my PS3 for a brand new xbox 360.

What do you guys think? should I make the trade or give the PS3 another chance? How reliable are the newer 360s?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If all you have is the red ring of death just send it in and they will either repair it or give you a new one.

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I'm not in the US or anywhere near a service area and the warranty is void cause I took it to someone to repair a red light from the past, it worked fine for a bit, but nothing can be done now

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Ah. Yeah in that case get a PS3 with Little Big Planet :).

5. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Little Big Planet does look interesting!

here's a better way to question it.

For the year 2009, who will have the better exclusive titles? I know 2008 was the 360s year, what about 2009?

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm biased, as a PS3 owner. But I think 2009 might be the PS3's. We just got Killzone 2, which is awesome. Uncharted 2 is coming out this holiday season as well. And... um... GOD OF WAR 3!!

I'm not sure what the upcoming 360 exclusives are - Halo Wars just came out though.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You will get a myriad of answers but at the end of the day the fact remains you have to make your own decision.

The common sense approach...

You already have a PS3, so give it a go as you have nothing to lose. If you still find you prefer a 360 then you can rest assured you have at least tried.

But really a thread like this serves nothing but will generally result in a pissing match between fanboys.

8. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

9. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

You could try getting a 2nd hand arcade unit from ebay or similar, then just put the hdd from your broken one in? Don't know if that would work but then you'd have the benefit of eclusive titles for both consoles.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As it stands with each systems current libraries I'd opt for the 360, but that's also helped by all my local friends owning 360's too.

11. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Keep the PS3 - Sony are sorting their online out finally, LBP is a great exclusive and '09 looks good for the PS3 :)

Oh and when the 360 can play Blu-Ray Discs you can make a decision again....:p

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You don't play blu-ray discs - you watch them. You do play games. The 360 has those ;)

I knew this thread would go all fanboyz on us.......

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats exactly where you went wrong...2008 wasn't 360s year...it was a good year for games all around seeing as Sony had just as much or even more decent games in 2008.

I'm guessing since you had a PS3 in the first place you are open to both consoles so I would suggest you get some games for the PS3 and enjoy. If you can't live without LIVE then chuck down and buy a new 360.

Bless

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I have both, and IMO:

- Far bigger game selection.
    - Better controller.
    - Very noisy
    - Very unreliable.

PS3
    - Bluray movies!
    - Quiet
    - Reliable
    - Most games look better on the 360 (too many glitches/artefacts/AA problems)

(I'm increasingly of the opinion that if Apple were interested, they could wipe the floor with both. Particularly if they went with a digital distribution model to get lots of indie developers on board early.)

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

And it would start at $999 and adding more ram or a bigger hard drive would triple the cost.

17. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yea but he said the 360 can't play Blu-rays. :p If you replace play with watch it makes no sense. The 360 can't watch Blu-rays???

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! bloody semantics :rolleyes: :D

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What have Jewish folk got to do with this?
    wink

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Quite possibly! :p

But, looking at the pile of games in the corner by the TV, and multiplying that by 60 euros (average cost of new games here) - I think the cost of the console would be almost insignificant in comparison!

If they had a "App Store" equivalent, and lots of cheap games available in addition to quality, more expensive titles, I'd have no problem paying 999 for a console - assuming it had media centre/extender capabilities as well.

21. evan g macrumors regular

Well I would buy some killer exclusives like Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc.. and if your still not satisfied, go for it. It's all up to you.

22. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

That just made me go o_O

23. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Actually 2008 was very equal. Almost all highrated games on the 360 came out on PS3 as well. I mean I'm just on a gaming review site and all good 360 exclusives are 2006 and 2007. The PS3 has many more in 2008 (MGS 4 is probably the best game of 2008) and 2009 will be even better. I mean Killzone 2 just came out and is supposed to be one of the best games of 2009.
    So unless you have tons and tons of 360 games, stick with your PS3 and get some great exclusives.

24. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

BOOM! right here

although if you have a ton of money invested in the 360, and you don't care much for the extra features the PS3 offers, then I say trade it.

I own both, but love the PS3 more.

25. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Okay, so maybe you can get Resident Evil and Devil May Cry on both systems now. But the PS3s exclusive games are getting better and better. Let's name a few: LAIR, Heavenly Sword, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Resistance, Motor Storm, Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted. Surley that's better than Gears of War, and Halo 3? :) Plus there's God of War 3, Uncharted 2 etc etc on their way. 2009 is the Year of the PS3.

There's nothing to stop a new 360 from failing. There was a report on TV the other week, and it proved that if you're playing a game just a small vibration can cause you're disk to be ruined forever (even something like putting a book down on a nearby table). And Microsoft claims it's the users fault, and wont offer any help.

And did you honestly like paying for Online? MS Points? :confused: