Xbox 360 issues...the usual

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by noodle654, Dec 11, 2007.

1. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Well, today my Xbox 360 pooped on me. Screen froze with a nice Brown color! Turned it on and the red lights appeared...just like last time. So I called Microsoft and the lady on the phone told me it would take 4-7 weeks. The Xbox is 9 months old!??!?!?! I find it totally unacceptable to get this horrible treatment. Then I asked if I would be getting the new HDMI 65nm CPU Falcon version. She said no. People that bought the crappy one get a new crappy one. Anybody else have these horrible issues with Microsoft? Anybody got any suggestions?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Sorry for your misfortune.

You could always go to a store, buy a new 65nm falcon 360, take it home and swap it with your dead one, return it to the store and tell them it was dead when you turned it on. I doubt they'd check product number.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've had two Xbox 360s, no RRODs or any problems at all. I don't know what you can do other than call back again and see if you get someone else on the line who might be a little more tractable.

4. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

AKA...go to WalMART!!!

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The stores track the serial number - that's the one they expect back on a return...

6. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Walmart or BestBuy? That is the question. There is no serial number on my box when I bought it in March. Is there still no serial on it? I am about to go to the store tonight buy a new one and just return it tomorrow. Is this safe?

7. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

How? There is no serial number on the box and I doubt that a WalMart during Christmas season will actually check to see if they match.

8. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

When I hear of all these people's 360s breaking down and I look over at mine, it makes me think that mine is like that soldier in the middle of a losing battlefield and his friends are getting gunned down around him and he knows his own inevitable end is coming.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I felt the same way...until my launch 360 died a month ago. I just got my replacement on Friday and seems to be working great. It's not a new one though, it says it was manufactured in 2006!

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Haven't done it myself, but I know of people who have, and the stores didn't check anything at all. They just glanced in the box to see there was a 360 in there and then threw it on the floor admist the other electronics returned stuff.

They just simply refunded the money. The friend just told them after it failed they changed their mind and they decide to go and buy a pc instead, otherwise the store would have probably just exchanged the item rather than give a refund.

I'm not saying it's morally right, but it's not mine it's your decision.

Thankfully both my 360's have worked flawlessly.

11. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Mine was manufactured in 2006 too. I bet it breaks in about 5 months.

12. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Wouldnt Microsoft see that when they get my Xbox 360 in their return center that it will be under my name?? Is there a way I can unregister my Xbox 360 so that my name, address, and phone is lost?

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not sure, do you honestly think they will be that bothered ? The point being it is actually dead, so they will still have to repair or replace it regardless.

14. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

How positive? If anything I could say it was working fine and I called Microsoft to register right? Or if they say that this isnt the right Xbox I will just say that that was what was in the box..right? Any other options?

15. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Well, I bought the new Falcon Xbox 360 and when I opened it, the power supply was totally different. I decided not to go through with everything. Now I can just pray that ****ing Microsoft will give me a new one which I doubt.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A friend of mine had his 360 break on him. Bored of waiting he got that Elite 360. They're supposed to be better at not breaking, right?

I've gone through 2 of them. 1 was modded so it had to be binned, the 2nd was sold after being returned. My next one will only be when MS say they've fixed the problem and they're simply not going to RROD again.

17. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Im talking with people on the Xbox forums and nobody knows if it will help. They said that Microsoft started adding better heatsinks to earlier units, but who knows if it will help?? The elite and premium are supposed to have new 65nm processors and HDMI. Who knows if it will fix the problem. When I bought it from Wal-Mart, they had just one new one left. The power brick is much much less heaver. It is only 2 prong and looks like the cover over the plug to the Xbox is plastic. I pray that the issues are fixed.

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'm on my second 360. Shame, it's such a brilliant console.

Strange as it may seem though, at work we have a launch console and it's been stuck in this little cubby hole since launch getting really quite hot playing 12-14 hours a day and it's still going strong... *Shrugs*

As for checking the serial numbers, I'd be very surprised if this was the case.

19. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Get it fixed free of charge.

https://service.xbox.com/default.aspx

3 yr warranty against RoD.

Mine crapped out near 9th month...called them, shipped it out...had it back and working 1 wk later.

20. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yes, but it is the Holidays, Microsoft is crammed with fixing these consoles and I was quoted a 4-7 week wait.

21. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

I'm on 360 number 3. As long as there is a warranty I'll keep sending them in every time they break.

22. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

True story this....but it's to do with when my old original xbox broke.

Called Microsoft, and they arranged for me to send it back to them- all I had to do was take it to the post office. So before school one day, at about 8.30am I sent it off. Got home that evening at 4pm and it was back and fixed.

I still have no idea how they managed to do it, but kudos to them! Fixed in under 12 hours!

(I live in the middle of the English countryside, so we weren't exactly on top of Xbox Repair HQ)

23. asxtb macrumors 6502

Perhaps it was repaired at the shipping company rather than sent all the way back to Microsoft.

24. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Why would the shipping company allow that, unless MS paid them to have a team of their Xbox repair men at the shipping depot?

25. asxtb macrumors 6502

You got it. Large companies (especially electronic companies) have 'certified repair techs' at the shipping depots. It makes it a lot cheaper, easier, and faster than sending a broken unit all the way back to the company and then all the way back to the customer.