Xbox 360 now the cheapest CURRENT gen console

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Sep 3, 2008.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Cool but who actually wants the tard pack....I mean its useful for single player but the xbl is totally cut off from it unless you go for MS $$$ HDD....the tard pack is not worth it.

I'd buy one though....only because I already have the console and I wouldn't have to buy all the crap again.

Bless

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i don't know who will buy the cheap version. it doesn't come with anything

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It's a matter of being able to say how cheap the 360 is and it subconsciously affect purchasers, they think the 360 is so cheap because of the $199 Arcade but then they go and buy the Pro version because it has more stuff.

Same thing happens with the PS3 only in reverse which really hurt Sony in the beggining.

You need to know as much psychology and sociology as you do marketing and business to succeed in this market.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I have to admit, I love my 360. Until it breaks then I'll ***** hate it.

As a Nintendo fan, MS has done a better job of taking care of us gamers than anyone else. Good for them. :D

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Taking care of gamers would imply that they care, which is far from the truth. In fact they are the bane of this and every other industry they set foot in. They put out shoddy hardware that excels in breaking and you say they are out for the gamer?? MS has done a good job of covering their ass and taking care of themselves, they have done a piss poor job of taking care of gamers and the industry in a whole.

YK

7. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

It should be, it doesn't support HD-DVD:rolleyes: or Blu-ray.

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I guess if the hardware was better maybe what I said would carry more wait. Aside from that one huge flag, you always hear developers saying it is much easier to develop for the 360, etc. They support homegrown developers too which is nice. :)

But damn MS. Get your hardware working already... (reliably)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thinking about getting the Arcade one and doing some kind of case mod on it. £150 here. FYI the PSP-3000 is going to be that price here :eek:

How'z that work!

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And they've already proven both it (and to an extent Wii) do not need to this generation to sell 'games' on their 'games' console.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

doesn't it have that price (in euro) for a long time in europe already ?
    guess that means another price drop on the way around here to compete in any way with pcs smacking the 360 around

12. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

what is crazy is a PS2 is still $130! Basically the price of a game more and you get a 360. Sure the 'tard pack isn't ideal but if mommy wants to buy little billy a gaming system and can't find the Wii, a sub $200 machine looks mighty attractive, especially once it starts getting games thrown in with it.

and on the plus side, when my launch 360 finally goes supernova and explodes (which will happen this december, so it's out of MS' 3 year warranty) it will only be $200 for a replacement (yay!)

13. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Um, wasn't the 360 already the "cheapest CURRENT gen console"? :p

14. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Ive always wondered who they are trying to fool with the arcade. What a rip off.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No.

Read Sikkinixx's post. Or mine. Don't imagine for a second that everyone wants a 360 like you, some people play a handful of games and don't need to pay an extra £50 for a HDD based 360. Hell I've seen an arcade be used as a streaming media centre only.

Grr! Ah well, it's still selling quite well here and the price is very nice. Maybe next year eh :D

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

exactly .. why drop the price if it's selling well .. just like with the wii and ps2

i'm still wondering though why the 360 sells so much better in US+UK than let's say rest of europe .. is it the weakness of the PC market in those countries or something else ?

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The PC market in the US is quite strong thank you! :) The only thing that has been week, is the selection of games over the past 3 years.

<]=)

18. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I love my 360 and the way MS handled the whole Xbox Live is fantastic. The game demos, Xbox 1 titles, Xbox Live Arcade (some awesome stuff there), plus the movies and shows make it a really nice platform.

IMHO, the Live "makes it" and puts it ahead of the PS3.

19. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Haha, sarcasm is hard to detect online eh, even with the "smiley". Anyway, I was joking. I know the Wii was "cheaper". Or rather overpriced. I still don't consider it "next-gen", even with the Wiimote. In the end, you're still holding a controller in your hands. :rolleyes:

I played Smash for a while on the Wiimote, but found out it wasn't as "fun" when I went back to playing it with the GC controller. Obviously, the game wasn't designed from the ground up to be a "Wii" title. The only game that has that title IMO, is Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, but that wasn't even my favorite Metroid Prime title. :p

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I liked the controls way better on Prime 3 than the previous games, but I really didn't like how they consolidated the weapons as the game progressed. I preferred being able to choose ice or fire as an example.

Stating that the Wii isn't next-gen is nothing more than you being wishful. I guess because you don't consider it next-gen, we should all throw reality out the door. It doesn't help that so many developers have vomited their PS2 shovelware onto it, but that's the price of success and that still doesn't validate your opinion.

There's nothing revolutionary about the tech in the Wiimote, but like every othe controller Nintendo has "pioneered," it's how they implemented it/used it. Come next generation, or even this generation, the other guys will have something similar and not just motion. The Wii's pointer is its best attribute. There are games that can not be played properly without a dedicated pointer. Nintendo has created a hybrid controller that's well suited for console gaming and PC gaming. The other consoles gamepad controllers are only suited for console gaming.

So is your idea of revolutionary control voice commands? Look ma, no hands! :eek:

<]=)

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nah!! Next step in gaming is to get someone else to play it for you.. or play itself!

As if the kid's weren't bone idol and unable to work on their own initiative as it is these days, now we can design our games & systems to take all the 'hard' gaming out of the video game equation altogether.... :D oh wait Hideo Kojima is already pioneering that ;)

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So first it's sarcasm, then you admitted joking, then rebutted it all by pretty much reittering your initial statement.
    That doesn't really work now does it!

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Well, technically, Nintendo, themselves, didn't/don't consider the Wii a "Next Generation" system. Nintendo officially called it a "New Generation" system.

Also, technically, the PS3 and Xbox 360 aren't "Next Generation" systems, either. They are "Current Generation" systems. A console can only be called "Next Generation/Next Gen" until it's released.

For more semantics, when does a system become a "Last Gen" system? Well, that would be when the first "Next Gen" system is released. example: GameCube, PS2 and Xbox were all "Current Gen" systems. As soon as the Xbox 360 was released, all three became "Last Gen."

24. bleufire macrumors member

If the 360 was released and called the Current Gen, how would ALL THREE become last gen? I would think that when that happens the Xbox would become Last Gen while the 360 would be Current Gen. And the PS2 is still current for SONY until PS3 was out and made it LAST GEN.

Damn u:D