XBox 360 Specs Released [Triple Core @ 3.2Ghz each]

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
1,044
1
Charlotte, NC
Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
• Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
• Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total
• VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total
• 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
• 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
• 9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
• 500MHz processor
• 10 MB of embedded DRAM
• 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
• Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance
• 500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate
• 16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA

Shader Performance
• 48 billion shader operations per second

Memory
• 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM
• 700 MHz of DDR
• Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth
• 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
• 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
• 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance
• 1 teraflop

Rest of the Specs at CNET
 

Tech^salvager

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2005
121
0
Portland, TX
iGary said:
I thought Apple and IBM's agreement was that they (Apple) got the latest procs before anyone else.
was gonna edit my post after my sutpid remark but I'll say it here. Unless they are in some agreement them maybe. should say that but I was in idiot mode.
sorry
 

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
491
0
Brooklyn,NY
Dippo said:
Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
• Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
• Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total
• VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total
• 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
• 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
• 9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
• 500MHz processor
• 10 MB of embedded DRAM
• 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
• Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance
• 500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate
• 16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA

Shader Performance
• 48 billion shader operations per second

Memory
• 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM
• 700 MHz of DDR
• Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth
• 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
• 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
• 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance
• 1 teraflop

Rest of the Specs at CNET


These Specs are total BS ... a 48 Pipleine card which dosen't Exist , we are still at 16 and the ATI R520(coming fall) chip is rated at 24Pipelines , 500 Million triangles is less then a Radeon X800XL(which does over to 600M) the X850PE does over 850M Triagles a sec and over 8 gigapixels /sec.

This kinds of Processing power should atleast do Double what the X850PE does. Waitr till the E3 then u will see the real specs.
 

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,557
36
jiggie2g said:
These Specs are total BS ... a 48 Pipleine card which dosen't Exist , we are still at 16 and the ATI R520(coming fall) chip is rated at 24Pipelines , 500 Million triangles is less then a Radeon X800XL(which does over to 600M) the X850PE does over 850M Triagles a sec and over 8 gigapixels /sec.

This kinds of Processing power should atleast do Double what the X850PE does. Waitr till the E3 then u will see the real specs.
Yeah I agree. I mean it isn't like Microsoft just announced XBox360 on MTV or anything :rolleyes:

Just messing with ya. I agree though, this specs do seem kind of "out there."

jon
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
I think the price will be $499 during Q4 2005 with the price dropping to $399 by Q2 2006.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
But I don't really get the 3 core thing anyway. If that's such a good idea, why doesn't Apple use the same chip? Put two of these 3 core CPUs in a Power Mac and you'd have an awesome machine...

D
 

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
1,914
0
New York
I know it is tempting, but why do we think that Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU = G5? It doesn't. Just because they used G5 Power Macs as development kits does not mean these are magical multicore G5s that IBM is giving to Microsoft but not Apple.

Nothing shady going on here. At least I think, but you never from with Microsoft. :)
 

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
491
0
Brooklyn,NY
iJon said:
Yeah I agree. I mean it isn't like Microsoft just announced XBox360 on MTV or anything :rolleyes:

Just messing with ya. I agree though, this specs do seem kind of "out there."

jon

Well there is no solid info of the Fill rate or Vertivle Processing but the 40 piples thing is kinda like a P4w/HT , it's 24 real pipelines and 24 vitural ones.

It's WATER COOLED and has detachable face plates ....has a real GUI ...detachable HD.....I want 2 of them now. :eek:

Check it out.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000337043193/
 

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
1,044
1
Charlotte, NC
Mr. Anderson said:
But I don't really get the 3 core thing anyway. If that's such a good idea, why doesn't Apple use the same chip? Put two of these 3 core CPUs in a Power Mac and you'd have an awesome machine...

D
These are probably some kind of "stripped down" G5s, and they probably lack many functions that are included with Apple chips.

Of course if IBM can make a "stripped down" G5 that is tripled core then I am sure they could make an Apple G5 double core at about 2.5Ghz.
At the very least a 3.0Ghz single core should be possible.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
The first Microsoft product I actually WANT to own. Hell has definitely frozen over.
 

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
241
0
Santa Cruz, CA
Daveway said:
Apple: Hey IBM can we get one of those fancy processors?

I saw the screen shots and some how i was hoping for more. :(
Ya i just saw the mtv thing and wow talk about a lame product unveiling, I mean there was no suspense at all they showed the thing like 5 sec. into it. But ya, when they showed some game play footage i was kind of disappointed i mean it looked just a little bit worse then halflife 2 and doom 3, and i was expecting something more mind-blowing from all the hype they have been doing on this thing.
:rolleyes:

Also those specs seem a bit inflated.
 

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
889
10
USA
Lacero said:
The first Microsoft product I actually WANT to own. Hell has definitely frozen over.
i know! *shudder*

c'mon nintendo. earn my money. please. (grew up on nes and 64)
 

shadowguy

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
51
0
Long Island, NY
Nintendos Revolution is rumored to run on a custom 4 core G5 running at 2.5Ghz each.

Xbox 360 is supposed to run with the R500 video card, while the Revolution is supposed to be running an R520. The Revolution will be a lot better, power wise, than the Xbox 360.
 

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
Dr. Dastardly said:
Well looks like I have no excuse now to keep my PC. ;)

Unless of course, you play flight simulators like I do =)

Anyways this thing looks wicked.
 

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
938
0
Seattle
My guess is that these are pre-specifications.

Console Specs

1 teraflop
Hmmm... probably NOT. Seeing that Virginia Tech (2200 G5's) does about 10 teraflops...

Take notice of the footnote though:

The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a prerelease product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Their lawyers made them write that disclaimer to absolve them of any frivolous lawsuits. The specs may actually be higher. It doesn't make sense to knowingly inflate system specs to only underachieve them.
 

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
938
0
Seattle
Lacero said:
Their lawyers made them write that disclaimer to absolve them of any frivolous lawsuits. The specs may actually be higher. It doesn't make sense to knowingly inflate system specs to only underachieve them.
I would say that 1 teraflop would be a knowing inflation.
 

Tech^salvager

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2005
121
0
Portland, TX
shadowguy said:
Nintendos Revolution is rumored to run on a custom 4 core G5 running at 2.5Ghz each.

Xbox 360 is supposed to run with the R500 video card, while the Revolution is supposed to be running an R520. The Revolution will be a lot better, power wise, than the Xbox 360.
"The specs are false. They were originally posted apparently by 'Aries'...except that Aries posted a page down that that poster was an imposter using his name. He stated repeatedly that he never posted specs. But people didn't read that far down and have been quoting those specs.


So ignore those specs.

The whole thing with Square Enix is a true quote though!"
thats to teh 4 g5 @ 2.5ghz thing
quoted from GFLPraxis
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=126191
 

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
192
0
LSU - Baton Rouge
Mr. Anderson said:
But I don't really get the 3 core thing anyway. If that's such a good idea, why doesn't Apple use the same chip? Put two of these 3 core CPUs in a Power Mac and you'd have an awesome machine...

D
Because more cpus doesn't necessarliy mean more power. You have to have software very specifically written to support that kind of threading. You cant just slap 10 processors together and be 10x faster.