Xbox 360 With Roomies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Andrew D., Jan 17, 2008.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Ok so if you've seen my planning to purchase an Xbox 360 thread in the console section then this is kinda like the continuation portion. So moving on, I'm thinking about picking up a 360 since I've been wanting one again but I've hit a little dilemma.

I share an apartment with 2 other people, 1 in another room and the other in the same room as I am. All of us are relatively around the same age, me being the youngest. So here is the situation; I don't know if I should purchase the 360 by myself or have the other roomies contribute as well.

Now here is the layout of the apartment in terms of how much I would or we would spend. The living room currently has the a 32" standard regular television set which I'm fine playing on. The main thing is the internet router is right by the TV for easy XBL hook up. No need for the wireless adapter.

If I am to buy the 360 alone, I may have to keep it in the living room which will mean I'm pretty much inviting everybody to play. The reason is I don't have a TV in my room or an extra external monitor. If I were to tell them to contribute as well, then it would be ok to leave it in the living room but that might hinder the times when I may want to play it. Sorry if I'm not making sense everyone, just ask for me to clarify if anything.

So yeah, that's my problem.. I guess what I'm trying to ask right now is what do you all think about this situation, if I should just tell the others to contribute, buy their own controllers and leave it outside in the living room or do the opposite and spend a lot more. Thanks again MR community for being the best!

2. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

What are you going to do when you or your roommates move out and you all have put money into this Xbox?

Either just buy it and deal with your roommates playing it in the living room, or wait until you have the money for your own tv/monitor too. Or get a vga cable splitter or something for you computer monitor (assuming you don't use a laptop).

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

dont ask for them to give you money for it. If you buy it and then do not share you will be an ass. Ask for money and you will be an ass.

Plus when some one leaves you have the issue with the money. Just buy it your self if you want one and just put it in the main room.

It pissed me off when my former roommate got a very nice TV for Christmas and then decided not to put it in the main room for both of us to use. What truely pissed me off about this was not the matter of him not wanting to share but the fact that it was my TV being one we both used and was the one for all enterment when he had his friends over. SO more off then not he was using my TV and then wanted to kept his nicer TV (he had a crappier one 2) in his room for his rare private use. Little double standard there.

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

My take on the xbox 360 situation:

-you pay everything to buy it - you own it and when roomies move its yours no fights etc.

-if you use the common area tv to play then it becomes common area prperty and everyone can use it.

-if you roomies are good ones , they will still let you have priority over the xbox since it is yours and you are sharing with them

-if you have bad roomies then get your own tv in your room and f them.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Dumbest thing I've heard all day.....

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

have them pay some, and whoever wants to keep it pays more

8. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh today.

Shoulda taken your TV out of the living room. :p

If you want it all to end in tears, do this

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

let me put it in this view if I was your roommate i would refuse to chip in money for it mostly because I do not care enough for a 360 to pay for one. Now if one was there to play with yeah I would play it. Now a jerk room mate would either demand I pay money for it or get one and then refuse to share.

Also even if I did want one I still would not chip in for it because I want to advoid all those battles when one of leaves and some one feeling bitter. Much easier having the one who pays for it keep it.

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sarcasm ;)

11. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Just pay for the whole thing. That way when you move out it's rightfully yours.

My bf & I play his roommate's xbox all the time and he plays my bf's wii and there are no problems.

12. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

This is the reason I will probably never live with roommates. It's his TV he can put it where ever the hell he wants. Sure, it would be nice if he put it in the main room, but there's no reason to get your panties in a bunch because he didn't. As for it being your TV in the main room: I'm sure your roommate contributed something that you used (microwave, fridge, etc), if he didn't then I would be inclined to sympathize more with you.

As for the OP: just buy the 360 yourself, then when you move out or a roommate moves out you won't have to buy out their shares in it. Keeps things less complicated. I'd also be inclined to share the 360 with my roommates in the main room, but I'd inform them from the beginning that it was MY 360 and that if I wanted to play while they were playing my word would take priority (of course if they were just watching TV and you wanted to play, thats somewhat different. Man I would hate having roommates).

13. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i guess the great consensus is to just buy it yourself, and if you do split to buy that will only lead to problems down the road....

14. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds good, I'll probably just make them buy their own controllers if they want to do multiplayer. But yeah, if they are watching TV or whatever, I guess I can't play.. haha. I am also planning on buying an external monitor down the road, so yeah.

Funny thing is, that TV out in the living is actually the TV I brought here.. haha. But yeah, more imput would be great.. I'll keep checking here. Thanks all!

15. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Just buy it yourself and put it in the main room. If you get along with them ok, (which I suppose) then they'll respect your things.

I they act like jerks, then move it out to you room.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

oh it is a long list of things. Most of the stuff we both used was my stuff. Community stuff he provided was good set of knives, 12in skillet, a handful of glasses, and a game cube hook up to my TV.
    The couch, table, chair, router modem, ect where all mine. I had to fight dealing with him on how the router was set up and the internet control.

Or I can add in the fact I got stuck having to clean up the place after we moved out and he promised he would take care of some stuff. I ended up cleaning up every room but his. Mind you I just took the cleaning fees out that the owner charges us after I I fought to get the deposit back out of his share.

As I should of said before it was a long list of things and the TV was just one of the many things that annoyed me. I lived with a very selfish roommate.

17. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

In case you didn't see my post in the other thread, and since this is the "new one", I'll repost:

Look on the sticker with the bar code. 175W (watts) means a Falcon chipset. It runs cooler and uses less electricity in the process. 203W means that you have the old chipset which is doomed to fail.

I picked up a 175W Xbox 360 pro recently. I think only those with HDMI ports have a chance at being falcon, and those without do not. Anyway, look for 175W!

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's simple. All three of you go in for it. Then, when it's time to decide who gets it, you go to a wise third party.

That person says, "We shall divide it in three!" Then, because you're a sharp one and you've read about Solomon (or watched Seinfeld), you'll say, "No, no! Keep it! I'd rather not have it than see it destroyed." And then the wise third party will deliver it unto you, as the true owner of the XBox 360.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think the best way to look at my 2 other post is the last thing you want to do is look like a selfish roommate because those roommates suck.

Be generaous most roommates are pretty respectful of your things if you bought it and will treat it as such. plus you get great bonus points for buying a cool toy. Now if you ask for money to chip in then it huge negative points no mater how you cut it.

20. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Solution

Just buy the Xbox 360, put it in the living room for everyone to use and get them to pay for the games when you rent them (and the chips & beers) :D

21. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

That last part is just ridiculous.

What sort of person would expect such a free ride?

If the OP buys the console, it is HIS console. I would not put it in the main room. I certainly would not let the other people living with me play it all the time without contributing somehow. Either in the form of part payment, controllers or games. If they help with the cost of the unit because they intend on playing it, providing the OP pays the majority share (>50%), the console remains his.

However, my take on it is that I would buy it, and a monitor for myself and keep it in my own room. The whole concept of it becoming everyones property because it is left in the main room is, well stupid. The console remains the property of the person who purchased it regardless of where it is located in the flat.

I would never have flatmates anyway, but I certainly would not let them treat my things as their own if I did. It's all about respect.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if its in the main room and you are a nazi about it then you will look like an ass.

it depends on the roommates. personally id keep it in my room with my own tv. however, in the dorms i didnt have the luxury and coulnt refuse when people wanted to play my things. i mean you do live with these people

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Just buy the thing and give them the option to contribute, if they don't then you're justified in kicking them off it whenever you want to play.

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

And then they are justified to kick you off the TV because now they'll want to watch TV since they can't play XBOX. :)

25. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Fine, but in my opinion the people who would look like an ass is those who think they can treat something that belongs to me as their own, regardless of where it is located.

Even in a dorm room, you do have the luxury of telling people they can't use or touch their things. They might not listen, but if it was me there would be serious ramifications if they did not respect my wishes.

You would be sharing a roof with them, not everything you own.

David