Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Xbox Cloud Gaming 'Absolutely Will End Up on iOS,' Says Microsoft Gaming Boss

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
A PWA (progressive web app) that can be added to the home screen and behaves and looks indistinguishable from a native app is the way to go ATM due to Apple's restrictions. With the added benefit that once its done, it will run on anything with a compatible web browser (even maybe SmartTV's).
PWA's can't come close to a native app.

The whole reason why iOS has an App Store is because Apple figured that out after the launch of the first iPhone. (The original plan was to only have PWA's, through the method you described.)

Reactions: ScholarsInk
Comment

lip008

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
This isn't innovation, it's a fallback plan. But this? ↑↑↑ Are you implying that if they had a successful phone platform they wouldn't also want to have XCloud on iOS? If you are, help me understand the thought behind that implication. If you aren't, what exactly are you talking about here.

What they are doing is innovating. Unlike the fiasco with the other game developer not wanting to pay the 30% they are looking for a solution by any technical means at their disposal.

If they had their platform to push XCloud, XCloud could potentially poach iOS users. The financial hit of putting it only on Apple wouldn't be as big if they had 20 million MS phone users signing up for XCloud. Apple does what they want with their mothership and MS does not have a mothership for this. Sucks for them.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This is a massive win for apple. Microsoft is about to prove to the world that the apple App Store is not the sole method for get apps on a iPhone and Apple wont have to the quality of content on the cloud app as it wasn't download via their store so not their problem
Well, even Steve Jobs had been saying it from the get go. If you don't want to go through the review process, create a web app.

Comment

PlainviewUVGF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
lol. No it isn't.
Absolutely it will. Other companies will see build on their solution and bypass the Apple's app store completely. Apple will make some sort of compromise to get it in to their app store.
[automerge]1602253481[/automerge]
No it is a massive win for apple. Microsoft is about to prove to the world that the apple App Store is not the sole method for get apps on a iPhone
So how does that not result in a loss for Apple? 🤔

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This will, and others WILL end up on the AppStore. Apple will have no option but too - if they refuse,
If MS innovated like this work around on their phone platform they wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with...

Wouldn't make any difference. Microsoft would still want xCloud to be available to iOS users even if Microsoft's mobile platform was still around. Same way as Apple don't restrict their audio and video content to only iOS, they want to make it available to non iOS users.

Reactions: ScholarsInk
Comment

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Apple completely missed the move to cloud and is now becoming obsolete.
who cares about the fast chips and SDKs and all that when soon all workloads will run on the internet in cloud data centers?
The devices you are using won’t matter much anymore. Google foresaw that with their chromeOS but was way ahead of its time.

iCloud is a very simple version of a cloud services and offers only very limited functionality. Microsoft azure on the other hand is on another level.

Apple need to move quickly and readjust their strategy. Soon people won’t be paying huge premiums for -devices- anymore.

This is part of the reason they are so afraid of the xCloud app.

Comment

apparatchik

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
PWA's can't come close to a native app.

The whole reason why iOS has an App Store is because Apple figured that out after the launch of the first iPhone. (The original plan was to only have PWA's, through the method you described.)

It depends on the app doesnt it? for some experiences you need access to the metal, but when you look at the App Store, despite Apple’s guidelines, there’s an ocean of apps that are basically app versions of a website or e-commerce shop made with cross-platform frameworks (ionic, flutter, etc) that use none of the native hardware or OS resources.

Comment

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
So how does that not result in a loss for Apple? 🤔
No more BS about apple having a monopoly in iOS apps, MS can have their game service that apple doesn't want on their platform so they are not worried about the money and they dont have worry about the content on the service. If anything goes wrong or a kid plays something inappropriate then not apples problem

Reactions: strongy
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This will, and others WILL end up on the AppStore. Apple will have no option but too - if they refuse,

Wouldn't make any difference. Microsoft would still want xCloud to be available to iOS users even if Microsoft's mobile platform was still around. Same way as Apple don't restrict their audio and video content to only iOS, they want to make it available to non iOS users.
I don't think Apple will allow dynamic code streamed from the cloud to be executed on IOS (and I can't blame them). To much of a free ride for an attack vector.

Comment

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Your move Apple then Sony. Apple please adapt to the reality. This is the future of gaming just like videos. Sony please be ready to bring PSNow to Apple TV and iOS.

Also a lot of people are too excited by the cloud services. PSNow on a PS4 looks like a PS3, has connection problems and other issues. It’s a great option for mobility and playing a few games but native stuff still shines. Both will exist just fine together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stella
Comment

PlainviewUVGF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
No more BS about apple having a monopoly in iOS apps, MS can have their game service that apple doesn't want on their platform so they are not worried about the money and they dont have worry about the content on the service. If anything goes wrong or a kid plays something inappropriate then not apples problem
So it's not a loss for Apple because kids may play COD on their iPhone? I'm not following what you're arguing. Is your argument that kids may play more mature games outweighs any possible revenue they may receive by incorporating Apple's app store?

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't think Apple will allow dynamic code streamed from the cloud to be executed on IOS (and I can't blame them). To much of a free ride for an attack vector.

This is no different than interactive TV content. There's an input which is game controller, which is sent to xCloud and a stream of the game is sent to the iOS device. No game code is executed. The device that is being used to play the game on is essentially a dumb terminal.

Reactions: 69Mustang
Comment

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
So it's not a loss for Apple because kids may play COD on their iPhone? I'm not following what you're arguing. Is your argument that kids may play more mature games outweighs any possible revenue they may receive by incorporating Apple's app store?
What I'm saying is, apple doesn't want xcloud in their store so they are losing no money, this way its win win. Apple doesn't have to xcloud in its store and people cant use the gatekeeper argument because MS is about to prove their is another way to get apps on iOS without forcing apple to allow 3rd party store. The final smaller win is apple doesn't have a risk of people switching to android purely for xcloud. Additionally it removes all responsibility from apple on what people may get exposed to via xcloud as it wasn't download via their store. Looks like this works out perfect for apple

Reactions: strongy
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is no different than interactive TV content. There's an input which is game controller, which is sent to xCloud and a stream of the game is sent to the iOS device. No game code is executed. The device that is being used to play the game on is essentially a dumb terminal.
That is different than interactive TV content, is that one is not playing a game. But we will see how this develops. It will be interesting.

Comment

jz0309

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
didn't I just read a day or two ago that MSFT is joining epic etc on the front against the App Store? this is interesting, wonder what they are up to really

Comment

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Microsoft is reportedly targeting 2021 for the release of a "direct browser-based solution" to get around Apple's ‌App Store‌ restrictions
Now 0% revenue for Apple instead of possible IAPs... Play stupid games, win stupid prices. Apple really deserves this.

Reactions: pers0n
Comment

PlainviewUVGF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
What I'm saying is, apple doesn't want xcloud in their store so they are losing no money, this way its win win. Apple doesn't have to xcloud in its store and people cant use the gatekeeper argument because MS is about to prove their is another way to get apps on iOS without forcing apple to allow 3rd party store. The final smaller win is apple doesn't have a risk of people switching to android purely for xcloud. Additionally it removes all responsibility from apple on what people may get exposed to via xcloud as it wasn't download via their store. Looks like this works out perfect for apple
I will give you the very negligible amount of people who will/would switch to the Android platform to get access to XCloud. The latter is insignificant as Microsoft adheres to basically the same guidelines as Apple when it comes to games. Your first point, Apple is most certainly missing out on a possible revenue stream.

Comment

pers0n

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2014
How is the security risk any different than a browser being a portal to any webpage? Apple's not reviewing all web pages? Or, surely, xCloud can operate in a manner that mimics the way a browser handles that security issue...

Apple wants that 30% per app on top of the subscription 15% cut. I really hope the web gets so powerful native apps are only needed in rare instances, but then expect safari to lag in cutting edge features

Comment

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
I will give you the very negligible amount of people who will/would switch to the Android platform to get access to XCloud. The latter is insignificant as Microsoft adheres to basically the same guidelines as Apple when it comes to games. Your first point, Apple is most certainly missing out on a possible revenue stream.
I think its better to say they are not missing out on a revenue stream they want because they have made it clear they dont want xcloud in the App Store. The other point I would raise is even if xcloud was in the App Store would they expect to be treated the same was a Netflix or Prime and be classed as a 'Reader" App and therefore would not make anything off the subscription anyway

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.