Xbox Live going up to $60 November 1st

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Aug 30, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That makes no difference to me since I'm never going to pay an additional subscription just to play games online and occasionally get discounts on games I'm not going to buy. I feel sorry for the Xbox-only players!

Man... between this, the prices of AAA games going up and portioning the main content as DLC and Sony considering charging players for the multiplayer sections in second hand games - gaming is getting 'spensive. Wonder how long it'll be before it works out cheaper to buy a midrange PC?

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

*yawn* more and more it's PC gaming ftw.

Seriously, why can't I just play multiplayer on XBL? THAT'S ALL I WANT. Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, EPSN, Netflix (not in Canadia) all that crap is useless to me. I have an iPad, an iPhone, a Mac and a PC, ALL OF WHICH DO IT ALL BETTER AND FASTER.

*phew* I feel better.

4. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Buy.com usually has eBay specials a couple times a year for $29 + Free shipping on 12 month XBL cards.

Hopefully Amazon will have some deals this X-Mas so we can stock up as well.

5. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah right now I'm good till 2011 i may buy 1 or 2 more before november comes along.

6. Salacion macrumors 6502a

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

$10/month? :eek:

I wonder when the NZ price will go up; it can't sit at US$6.85/month forever...

8. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Well in Europe it has been 59,95€ (76 USD) per year since day one. Glad they didn't raise it any further here :p

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That is why I'm a Silver Member and exclusively play solo/offline splitscreen coop. I've paid for the game. It would have to be something special to get me to pay a subscription, like an MMO. I'm surprised that the free PS3 environment online has had no effect on MS's marketing decisions.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This is bull. The only game I have with online play that's worth anything is MW2, I don't bother going online with the rest of the games that I play regularly. I do use Netflix, but I also find it annoying that you have to have Gold service to be able to use it on 360, but not on other consoles. The other 'features' that 360 provides are total crap. Facebook? Zune marketplace? Last.fm? ESPN? I have no interest in any of these. I already have ESPN on cable and on the computer, why pay extra to have it on my 360? If I want sports on Xbox I'll play Madden 11 or NHL 11. :rolleyes:

edit—voting with my wallet:

Attached Files:

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Heh, I remember at E3 when Microsoft announced the ESPN features of XBL. They hilariously claimed that this would be covered by XBL Gold. I bet nobody thought back then they'd increase the price of that to cover for it ;).

It also massively sucks that the price increase is global... even in regions that ESPN/Netflix aren't available in.

If they come back to us with another service that just lets you play online (and has the price adjusted for that) then I'd go for it. I have numerous devices to access Last.FM, Facebook etc for free... why would I want another that I have to pay for? :rolleyes:

12. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Man am I glad to be a PS3 owner; online play costs me all of $0. :)

13. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Then there where the promises of we would get Last Fm streaming in game, and Facebook featuers in game. I'm still wating on those. :D

14. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I don't remember MS ever saying those features would be available in-game. You have a link for this statement?

15. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

the in game was a possiblitly they said later never confirmed for FM but e3's conference they showed off Tiger woods being able to upload screenshots etc.http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-xbox-360/50026

16. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Sounds like you should ask EA, not MS, where the Facebook integration in TW 11 is then.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

How did you do that?! I tried to cancel a few days ago and couldn't figure out how. I ended up having to call.

18. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

You enjoy your cheap-ass servers that melt when 700,000 people simaltaneously sign on.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Well I don't mind paying $60 a year for the services provide.
    Still think $5 a month is very reasonable, especially since some "games" charge far more than that per month/year.

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They make it really difficult—you have to click the "ON" under automatic renewal. It doesn't actually look like a link, took me quite a while to find it. You also aren't allowed to remove your credit card until the time expires, which I felt was kind of shady.

21. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Shall I bring MW2 into this discussion...:rolleyes:

22. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Do I need to bring MGS4 into the discussion? Aprox 720,000 PSN players signed on within a short space of time. PSN Servers melt into a puddle of goo, took 2 weeks to fix.

Halo 3 was released, close to 2.5 Million players sign on to play, servers carried on as normal, no loss of service, not even a sign of slowdown or strain.

23. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

MGS O was a joke and was more Konami to blame and they botch it. they never directly conected with PSN with MGS you would need a Konami id then a MGS ID than good luck trying to get on.

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

*cough*, *hack*

25. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

C'mon now how often does that actually happen? Like other's have referenced; server issues aren't specific to Sony or the PS3 it's EA, Konomi, or whomever. Realistically I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for premium content/access, thus I got the + membership. At the end of the day though I get a host of stuff FREE that Live users have to pay for. Just saying...:rolleyes: