Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Xbox One vs. PS4

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Even though I am more of a PC gamer like roadbloc, I wouldn't push someone into the PC Master Race... especially in a "Console Games" forum.

It's true that Steam games can be cheaper, but Steam sales are dangerous. My game backlog is growing every year... LOL. I also agree that it does suck that online play requires playstation+/xblive. However, I still have have both consoles for exclusives. There are console exclusive which are worth playing... I can only wish I could play on the PC. Multi-plat games I usually get for my gaming rig. The nice thing about consoles is the price. The price of both consoles does not even come close to what I put into my gaming rig.

Joining the PC Master Race can be addicting and expensive. Hardware requirements on games like battlefield keep going up every time a new release comes out to play at ultra settings. I end up upgrading my every 2 years... which for me (since I custom water cool) is more than $2000. Next year could be even more since I'll have to buy DDR4 ram for my X99 i7 6930k (hopefully 8 cores) build. I don't mind that since PC building is my hobby and I like to keep up with PC technology for my knowledge.

Consoles can last a long time without upgrading. it amazes me how game developers can push out quality games in console almost a decade old... example "The Last of Us" on the PS3.

Future proofing a PC is hard and can be frustrating if you are an online gamer. As new games come out like battlefield requiring more for ultra settings... you will have to lower graphics settings just to keep up with online players that have top of the line builds. Console online gamers doesn't have to think about those things... and keeps everyone equal since consoles will have the same hardware in them.

As for the OP's question... I think both are pretty good systems. Why I like consoles are for the exclusives. Maybe consider what exclusives you would rather play. I do like more Playstation exclusives over XBox. Looking forward to Uncharted 4 and hopefully Naughty Dogs will make sequel for The Last of Us.

Comment

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
It all depends on the games. Network-wise, I'd say the split between PSN players and xbox live players is pretty much even (maybe more PSN players due to the PS4 faring well but not by much)

Both consoles are pretty good, although the PS4 seems to be more powerful and future-ready (a few multiplatform games run at 1080p on ps4 as opposed to 720p on the xbox one)

Honestly it really comes down to the exclusives. Xbox One has all the Halo stuff, while PS4 doesn't really have a "cult classic" out yet. Xbox has usually had more FPS, run and gun type exclusives, while Playstation exclusives are usually more adventure-oriented and offer up a wider variety of genres.

Comment

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Honestly it really comes down to the exclusives. Xbox One has all the Halo stuff, while PS4 doesn't really have a "cult classic" out yet. Xbox has usually had more FPS, run and gun type exclusives, while Playstation exclusives are usually more adventure-oriented and offer up a wider variety of genres.

Sweet generalization. Where were great FPS games like the Resistance series and some Killzone games? And "cult classic"? One of the big complaints I've seen from the latest gen console gamers is that old games are being re-released and new content is sparse. If you want to play old games, buy an old system or an emulator.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sweet generalization. Where were great FPS games like the Resistance series and some Killzone games? And "cult classic"? One of the big complaints I've seen from the latest gen console gamers is that old games are being re-released and new content is sparse. If you want to play old games, buy an old system or an emulator.

I dunno, before I got into (non-Nintendo) console gaming in 2010 both systems definitely had stronger emphasis on different genres. Microsoft came across as the FPS/3rd person shooter/sports game machines. Sony had weirder games, more adventure and single player focussed. I think that still carries over with games like Journey, Rime, TLOU, Pixel Junk. Nintendo do that too, just more creative titles. Not saying that Microsoft's image is bad, a lot of people like those kind of games and there's clearly a huge market for it. And both systems are marketed in that way.

Comment

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I dunno, before I got into (non-Nintendo) console gaming in 2010 both systems definitely had stronger emphasis on different genres. Microsoft came across as the FPS/3rd person shooter/sports game machines. Sony had weirder games, more adventure and single player focussed. I think that still carries over with games like Journey, Rime, TLOU, Pixel Junk. Nintendo do that too, just more creative titles. Not saying that Microsoft's image is bad, a lot of people like those kind of games and there's clearly a huge market for it. And both systems are marketed in that way.

:confused:

And all the major sports titles can be found on either platform. M$ just made Halo their flagship.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
:confused:

And all the major sports titles can be found on either platform. M$ just made Halo their flagship.

Yup, but even now there's a clear shift towards MS systems for sports. They market towards sports fans and sports game players. There's the EA Sports pass service on Xbox, there are adverts aimed right at sports (quite a huge thing for both the 360 and the Xbox One so far).

Just like how Wii adverts are aimed towards families/group play experiences. They've all got their targets.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Released on the PS3. I skipped it on the PS3 hoping they would release remastered version on the PS4... which they did. It's the only game I've enjoyed on the PS4.

Why is Halo allowed but TLOU isn't? That too is just a HD version of previous games.

Comment

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
To OP I will re-iterate others advice:

1) Both PS4 and XB1 have a strong overlap in games. You pick the one that has more exclusives your son wants to play. Here is a list to go by:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_(eighth_generation)

2) Pick the system your sons friends play on too.

I own both now. PS4 is my primary and buy everything on that. XB1 and Wii-U solely for a small handful of exclusives.

Personally, if I had to pick only one, it'd be the PS4. It's much better hardware and OS, and I prefer it's exclusives. XBOX controller is a bit more ergonomic I must admit, but the the PS controller is no slouch and has more features (integrated speaker, LED, and touchpad). I haven't owned the XB1 long (just got over black friday), but it's already locked up on me once requiring a hard reset and I had trouble playing an app (twitch) that i had to restart system to work. My early impression of the XB1 is not great, but am willing to hang in there to play Halo. So far PS4 has been rock steady for me.

Comment

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Xbox if he wants to play lots of shooters, especially CoD and Halo.

PS4 if he wants to play lots of story mode 3rd person games like Last of Us, Uncharted, etc.

Controller preference and game preference should be the most important factor. Don't decide based on graphics, they'll both output pretty similar in regards to that. Exclusives will stress their own respective hardware, and exclusives should be the main selling point for people.

Having said that, i've played lots on both and may consider going full on PC master race this year cuz they're both pretty substandard even in regards to console this time around sadly:(

Comment

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I have all 3 and the PS4 hasnt been turned on lately as there has been nothing newer worth playing IMO.

I play all newer games on the XB1 for the most part and just picked up a Wii U as I really miss what Nintendo does for gaming. Pure, amazing, flashback to the good ol days fun.

All are wonderful devices though and you will not go wrong if you make a decision based on where his friends play most and what will be the best experience all around with others.

Comment

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Quite a few of my friends have both consoles, and end up mostly playing on the XB1.

The interesting thing is that according to the spec, PS4 should has better picture. However, we realise that our eyes believe XB1 actually perform better.

It may be due to better optimisation or colour management on XB1. Anyway, for online playing, XB live is definitely a better platform.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The interesting thing is that according to the spec, PS4 should has better picture. However, we realise that our eyes believe XB1 actually perform better.
We do?
The 360 and Xbox One both have black crush, if that's what you mean. The colour range seems to be narrower.

Anyway, for online playing, XB live is definitely a better platform.
I couldn't get a straight answer for this before, maybe you can give one :) what does Xbox Live have over PSN these days? (genuinely curious, I don't have an Xbox One)

Comment

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US

The point of a generalization is that it's not meant to be taken literally.

The Last of Us?

TLOU isn't a cult classic though. Yes it's a great game and lots of people have bought it but it's not "that one game" that everyone correlates with the PS4. With xbox, on the other hand... Halo is immediately what comes to mind since they've been milking that cow for 10 years now and doing a great job at it.

Comment

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Metal Gear (and Uncharted) is probably the cult classic you'd associate with Playstation and the next version looks like it'll deliver.

Last edited:
Comment

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I couldn't get a straight answer for this before, maybe you can give one :) what does Xbox Live have over PSN these days? (genuinely curious, I don't have an Xbox One)

Microsoft has deployed about 6 times as many servers as SONY - 50,000 (from what I last read about SONY) to 300,000 for Microsoft's Xbox. Now, Xbox also has 'Azure' (I think it's called) that leverages offsite computing for helping out with games. Forza uses this for their 'Drivatar's.

Besides that, I know of no other differences.

I personally would have no issue investing in a PS4 as my primary online gaming machine because, even though it has less servers, I can't imagine 50,000 being an issue or offering any kind of inferior service vs. Microsoft.

Comment

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
We do?
The 360 and Xbox One both have black crush, if that's what you mean. The colour range seems to be narrower.

this only happens when either the tv or the console is not set up right. this can happen will all modern consoles and is easily fixed with a setting.

driveclub just added weather. it's insane.

more at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=935041&page=13

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
this only happens when either the tv or the console is not set up right. this can happen will all modern consoles and is easily fixed with a setting.

All the comparison shots from comparison sites do have Xbox games as darker, I assume they'd have neutral settings to get them looking equal?

That weather looks incredible. Just waiting on them to support my Logitech G27 before buying Driveclub ;).

Comment

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
All the comparison shots from comparison sites do have Xbox games as darker, I assume they'd have neutral settings to get them looking equal?

That weather looks incredible. Just waiting on them to support my Logitech G27 before buying Driveclub ;).

you can't trust the colorspace of gaming console captures online...

even the new uncharted 4 gameplay trailer they uploaded was done wrong and looks washed out.

Comment

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
I have similair dilemma, but...

Destiny. Im blown away by the idea of that type of game. I need a console, and here is the problem.

I want to buy a Xbox One or PS4 to play it. I know that Bungie is making right now sequel to it, and im not sure how well it will be handled by consoles.

Also I know that PS4 is more powerful, but I dont mind playing in 900p, just for me most important is stable FPS and good looking graphics.

Heres the thing. On Xbox One i would play also Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2. On PS4 DriveClub, The Order 1886, Possibly Uncharted 4.

And some other games that are not exclusives for each platform.

Which to choose? Simple answer is... both. But I want the best possible experience of Destiny. Which platform gives better only for this game?

Comment

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
But I want the best possible experience of Destiny. Which platform gives better only for this game?

For "Stable FPS", it's better to choose XB1, it will maintain 60FPS with variable resolution. However, the PS4 choose the traditional PC route, constant resolution but variable FPS.

I don't know how hard Destiny will push the GPU. However, from other games, it shows that PS4's FPS will vary between 4x-60.

My personally experience is that I am not that sensitive to the resolution drop, but relatively more sensitive to FPS drop. So I personally prefer play on XB1 (even though PS4 has better hardware).

Comment

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
For "Stable FPS", it's better to choose XB1, it will maintain 60FPS with variable resolution. However, the PS4 choose the traditional PC route, constant resolution but variable FPS.

I don't know how hard Destiny will push the GPU. However, from other games, it shows that PS4's FPS will vary between 4x-60.

My personally experience is that I am not that sensitive to the resolution drop, but relatively more sensitive to FPS drop. So I personally prefer play on XB1 (even though PS4 has better hardware).

that's total bs.

digital foundry has tested many games and more games have stable and high frame rates AND better graphics on ps4. of course there are exceptions that run smoother on xbone too. for example cod ghosts multiplayer mode. after some patches its stable 60fps on ps4 tho.

fps is not up to the consoles. it's up to the developers what tradeoffs they make. how they tweak the graphics.

destiny is the letdown of the year btw. look up reviews.

Comment

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Guys, I dont care about other games, and their framerates, and resolution. I shall manage it ;). I want only stable framerate and decent graphics and Best possible experience overall(servers, etc...) in Destiny and possibly in its sequels.

But thank you for your answers :).

Comment

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Guys, I dont care about other games, and their framerates, and resolution. I shall manage it ;). I want only stable framerate and decent graphics and Best possible experience overall(servers, etc...) in Destiny and possibly in its sequels.

But thank you for your answers :).

Just check the reviews as cycledance suggest. Both consoles will run the game at 1080P 30FPS, and they should looks almost identical (with FPS locked at 30).

If you have both consoles, may be you can pick the one that you have better online experience so far. e.g. I am in East Asia, and XB live is more stable for me.

If you have very good connection and experience to both servers. May be PS4 is the more secure choice since it has better hardware to handle the same graphics.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.