XBox Purchase - Do I need a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by dubhe, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Thinking about buying another XBox 360 (I had one when they first came out, but when I had completed PGR I didn't want any other games so sold it on eBay :) ) Do I need a Hard Drive? I will be using it solely for gaming and possibly watching DVDs, I might hook it up online one day but only to play games over the internet, I have no desire to download demos etc.

In essence, how much space does the average game take to save? Am I able to upgrade the 256MB card to a bigger one later or is the only option a HDD?

TY

2. Creeping-Death macrumors newbie

You can always manage with only a 256 or a 512MB memory card, since the average for a game is about 7 to 10MB. But, I highly suggest you get a hard drive if only for the downloadable content.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

or full game installs.

4. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

I don't game that much, which is why I don't want to spend too much. I need to budget for my MBA!

Each game only taking a few MB, thanks for that, that is the info I needed :)

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Get a nice sized hdd for game installs like 120 its worth it imo

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

To get the New Xbox Experience in the first place, which introduced this feature, you have to buy a hard drive for the 360 anyway (in other words, anyone with the Arcade model that wants the update must buy the additional Xbox 360 hard drive).

7. permutated macrumors member

Simple answer: Yes.

Absolutely, don't skimp it's absolutely essential and if you don't buy one from the get go you're going to regret it sooner than later I promise you.

8. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

I really don't think I need one, I am just going to play games, and if I do change my mind surely I can pick one up on eBay?

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Then you probably do not need one. But I think you actually save a little money buying the Xbox 360 with a hard drive than if you decide to buy the HD later on by itself.

10. permutated macrumors member

You need one for the new Xbox experience, for downloading map packs or games off of LIVE, or if you want to have multiple saves and don't want to waste more money on memory packs which can break alot easier.

But go right ahead, waste money and regret it later don't say we (as 360 owners) didn't warn you.

11. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    I didn't have a hard drive for my first year of 360-ownership as I didn't go on Live and I never really saw the need for one, eventually picking one up cheap when I finally decided to go on Live. Personally I would recommend it but you could always go the route I did and pick it up when it becomes essential (especially if you ahve a gift voucher as I did!)

12. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

Perhaps it is time I explained that I want the XBox to keep me entertained when I don't have an internet connection. I work at sea you see...

13. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I can't believe people still consider buying the 360 without the HDD.

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Just got the Arcade from my girlfriend for my Birthday :)
    And the system is fine with 256Mb - though after the update and Live signup I have 85MB free. I'm going to look for a used 20GB though - if just to play downloads/demos on.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

To avoid some frustrations and expand your options, a hard drive is a good choice.

16. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

So the software update goes onto this card?

17. Esulatell macrumors member

You could manage ok without one but why bother spending £20 / £30 on a memory card when you could spend about £20 and get a 60gb hard drive or £40 more for 120gb.
    I'd say its probably best to get a 60gb hard drive, especially now that the NXE lets you install games onto the hard drive, not necessary but it helps.

18. pcypert macrumors 6502

I don't know about others but it's been my experience that the Xbox can be a bit picky on reading disks. With that said, I've enjoyed the NXE due to the ability to write onto the hard drive. I never have a disk read error anymore on used games or games I play a lot. Definitely worth it in my experience.

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yep, for example it refuses to recognise Disc 2 of the Australian version of Family Guy 7; I know it's not just me as I've had two copies that've done the same thing, and my friend's brother has the exact same problem with his copy on both the 360's in their house...yet they play fine on the PS3 and any other player.